View RSS Feed

All Blog Entries

1. Unexpectedly Prepared

I remember discussions about Hemingway’s story “Two Big Hearted River” (one of the best short stories you are likely to read, ever, trust me). The discussions sometimes revolve around all the stuff Nick takes camping, and was he a wuss to need all that stuff just for comfort, and the response being that if you are willing to carry it in, you get to carry it in.

I always get a special thrill when I end up using something I had questioned whether I should pack or not. I packed a length ...

Updated Feb-18-2015 at 11:27pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  2. Mid Missouri Mandolin

I acquired a Mid Missouri mandolin a few years back and am now getting back to getting into it again. Question: When I play the the 1st (top) fret (on all strings), I don't seem to be able to make as clear a tone as on the other places. Is this a player fault or is this an idiosyncrasy the first fret and requires a firmer placement of fingers. I am playing pretty firm. It is very frustrating!!!
    Also I am wondering about a comparison between the Mid Missouri instrument and a more traditional ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  3. A simple Guide to Choosing and Using a Preamp or DI box

There is a huge amount of confusion among players on this issue. As a result, many are using ‘mismatched’ combinations that could be causing loss of tone, and could result in unwanted distortion, lack of volume, hums and other issues. In this short article I’ll try to avoid too many technicalities and instead focus on the practicalities of deciding which external ‘box’ (if any) might be needed to bring out the best from your instrument.

The first thing to establish is whether your ...

Updated Sep-29-2014 at 9:12pm by almeriastrings

Categories
    Uncategorized
  4. Reasons Why it is Probably Best to Date a Musician

It is sometimes a mystery to me that anyone can get along with anyone else, considering how hard we all are to understand individually. Dating is a total mystery. Dating a non-musician is an exercise in delaying the first disappointment when she suddenly realizes the truth: you are not a normal good guy who eats and works and sleeps and takes long walks and has an interesting hobby but no other real passion in life than her.

If you date a musician you will not have that awkward moment ...

Updated Apr-08-2015 at 6:00pm by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  5. My music 60's and 70's

6. News and comments that didn't make the Cafe home page

Like a lot of folks, we chuckled at the Ira and Charlie Louvin Satan Is Real tribute Martin guitar at the recent Summer NAMM Show. It was predictably panned online (including our Forum) as a sorry attempt by Martin to come up with something interesting. What no one reported is that all 50 manufactured were spoken for by the end of the first day of the show. Last we checked, the objective of a business is to make things that sell. We've shown the image below to several people who said they'd love ...
  7. You Dont Need to Do a Set Up

Not being one for great drama in writing, let me explain right away. Everyone may need to have their mandolin set up. Not everyone needs to do it themselves.

Robert Meldrum has done the mandolin community a gigantic service. His ebook on set ups is really fantastic. Lots of folks have taken advantage of the book and proceeded to set up their instruments, in some cases first time mandolinners took up the challenge.

I have read through (not the same as thoroughly and ...

Updated Apr-24-2015 at 8:53am by JeffD

Categories
    Uncategorized
  8. Playing Mandolin at Last

At last in my retirement years I am getting satisfaction from playing music. I know my efforts are very amateur in the grand scheme of playing, but I have been playing ukulele with a couple of others on guitar in church, and now I am happy with my beginner efforts on the mandolin.

I attempted to take up guitar over thirty years ago, but the teacher I went to for individual lessons (big $s) just gave me 4 songs this week and 4 songs next week, with no interest in my individual performance, ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  9. On Playing the Mandolin as Therapy

I have been a member in the Mandolin Cafe for most of 2014 and I have truly appreciated the ideas, education, support and friendship that has been fostered in this forum. Thanks to all!

I have a brain disease that is a rarer form of Parkinson's, is faster progressing than typical P.D. and tends to cause more disability. I am not able to drive or work in my chosen profession any longer, and I deal with a variety of problems such as tremors and mobility issues, among other things. ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized
  10. appraising "great mandolin sound" ...when builder is unknown?

Hello... My father repaired violins and mandolins for over 25 years before he passed away. In 1987 he built his first mandolin. According to other players, it has great sound... but "No Name" recognition. Now my Mother's estate wants to sell the mandolin. One professional guitar shop appraised it at $300 to $400. Another shop said they'd hang it on a wall for decoration and ask $35.00. I'm No mandolin player, rather I play a 1957 Epiphone 12-string. A couple other shops want $150 ...
    Categories
    Uncategorized