Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would remove paper stuck to back of 1915 Gibson mandolin?

Default How would remove paper stuck to back of 1915 Gibson mandolin?

There is some paper stuck to the back of my 1915 Gibson mandolin which is otherwise in very good condition. Can you recommend a safe method to remove the paper?

Default Re: How would remove paper stuck to back of 1915 Gibson mandolin?

I would first try a clean, damp, soft rag, and if that doesn't work, I'd carefully scrape the paper off down to the finish with a tiny scraper blade... a method I would not recommend to someone not experienced with such an operation.

It would probably be easier for people to make intelligent recommendations if you posted a picture of the mandolin and the paper involved. I'd probably try to soak it off as well per John's recommendations. I don't know if I have steady enough hands to scrape it.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I lay a piece of tissue paper , then drip some water onto the tissue and let it soak for about an hour
    The sticker usually slides off
    Usually the finish is a little discolored because of oxidization. So I take a little bit of car compound and rub out the finish.

For stickers that use non water soluble glue they need lighter fluid , but you can't use that on lacquer finishes

If I were going to follow Sunburst advice, the 'scraper' I would use would be a plastic one. Maybe a guitar pick. Make things a bit safer...
    "Listen here Skippy. This here mandolin is older than your Grandpa, and costs more than a new Porsche, so no. No, I can't play any Whane Newton on it..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rvl View Post
    So I take a little bit of car compound and rub out the finish.
    Which car compound do you use?

I had a luthier pal recommend "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze," but I couldn't find a Meguiar's product by that particular name.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Naptha..
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

Quote Originally Posted by Rvl View Post
    I lay a piece of tissue paper , then drip some water onto the tissue and let it soak for about an hour
    The sticker usually slides off
    Usually the finish is a little discolored because of oxidization. So I take a little bit of car compound and rub out the finish.

For stickers that use non water soluble glue they need lighter fluid , but you can't use that on lacquer finishes
    Two things:
    Lighter fluid (like used in a cigarette lighter) shouldn't damage lacquer,
    but then a 1915 Gibson would not have lacquer on it unless it had been refinished or oversprayed.
    Bill Snyder

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Peanut butter comes to mind. I mean if the lighter fluid doesn't work.

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Sand blast it. LOL
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Since you're planning to sell the mandolin I'd leave the paper where it is and let the buyer deal with it.

Dampen a sponge, let it sit for twenty minutes on the paper then, use a nylon pot scraper or flatpick to GENTLY scrape the remaining paper off. Don't have the sponge dripping wet, it will just make a bigger mess.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

water on a damp cloth to soak off paper, scotch brite or similar non metalic pot scrubber pads if paper won't just wipe off when wet. Buff up with rubbing compound after to restore shine
    Jim Richmond

Have used medical grade adhesive remover with good results. I believe it is alcohol based. Comes in aerosol or liquid. Put on enough to wet the paper and rub and roll it off. Cannot say if it would harm the finish on that type of vintage finish.

Scotch brite and such will damage surrounding finish, plastic picks and other soft, dull scrapers can dent and damage the finish and/or wood, solvents like naptha, WD-40 and other petroleum based products are not particularly good solvents for paper, but water usually is.
    I still stand by my idea of a soft, damp, clean rag (or sponge or whatever) to soften the paper so that is may wipe right off. Otherwise, a sharp metal scraper (exacto blade or similar) can be used to scrape away the paper without disturbing the surrounding finish and without requiring the downward pressure needed to get something like a plastic pick (with it's rounded edge and flexible nature) to do any scraping. A sharp metal scraper can be controlled and localized so that only the paper is scraped, not the surrounding finish, and the procedure can be stopped as soon as the paper is gone. The finish will probably need some light smoothing and/or polishing, but there should be no damage to surrounding finish and no denting.
    But, that's all beside the point is a little water takes care of the situation, and there's a good chance it will.

17. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

Blog Entries

Chisel.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Which car compound do you use?

I had a luthier pal recommend "Meguiar's Mirror Glaze," but I couldn't find a Meguiar's product by that particular name.
    Any brand of compound is ok
    The ones I buy comes in 3 levels of grit
    Offhand they are 7 microns , maybe 1 micron and .03 microns
    I start with the 7 and then the 1 and finally .03
    They come in little starter kits of a couple ounce bottles

Meguiars is a high quality brand
    I believe Mirror Glaze is another brand , but dont quote me on that

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejay View Post
    Have used medical grade adhesive remover with good results. I believe it is alcohol based. Comes in aerosol or liquid. Put on enough to wet the paper and rub and roll it off. Cannot say if it would harm the finish on that type of vintage finish.
    Careful, alcohol will strip shellac based finishes and do nothing good to varnishes either (these Gibsons were varnish with shellac over the top I believe?). It is brilliant at removing stickers though, so if this were a poly-finished electric guitar it'd be ideal, but leave well alone on a vintage mandolin! Do as John H. suggests and use water and be patient...

What causes the paper to be stuck? What, and how original is the finish? What are your expectations?

Rather than ask for DIY technique from a group with varying experience, I suggest you take this oldtimer to someone experienced with period finishes. It's easy to make a mess that could be hard to recover from. . .

22. The following members say thank you to Frank Ford for this post:

The OP didn't really say that the paper was glued onto the back only that it was stuck on it. I agree with the Johns -- generally the first step for cleaning or removing things from finished wood is judicious application of water.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Thanks all. The paper came off fairly easily with a damp paper towel in just a few minutes.

Heat is one reason that finishes get soft, allowing various things to stick to them.
    Meguiar's Mirror Glaze:
    http://www.autopia-carcare.com/megui...FQto7AodwFkAhQ
    John

Even though it sounds like the problem has been fixed.....

At the Oberlin summer workshops, I learned a great trick for working on very delicate old violin family finishes when they get covered with rosin from Robbie McIntosh. Take an old credit card and burnish the edge like you would a cabinet scraper. The fine little burr is just strong enough to remove stubborn finish clingers and still soft enough that you can work the area with much more confidence and much less likelihood of damage than with a harder object.

j.
    www.condino.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
    What causes the paper to be stuck? What, and how original is the finish? What are your expectations?

Rather than ask for DIY technique from a group with varying experience, I suggest you take this oldtimer to someone experienced with period finishes. It's easy to make a mess that could be hard to recover from. . .
    Thank you Frank for asking the most critical question! What do you think the paper is stuck on there with?
    If it is some kind of glue that is not water soluble then you have a much bigger mess on your hands.

The advice to try water is all I would follow at this point -- all the suggestions like naptha, alcohol, and other organics are ill advised (IMHO) until you have some idea what you are dealing with in terms of glue and also finish on the mandolin. See John's post #2!

edit: Well I see others made the same point -- jumped the gun.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Oct-21-2013 at 7:37am. Reason: correction
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.