Thread: Pettine Pick

Question Pettine Pick

I see a leaf-shaped Pettine pick on Ebay for a mere $39.99 and another for $9.99. Can their performance possibly justify the price? Surely they can't be THAT much better than my Dunlops, Gibsons, Davas, Sharkfins etc?

Default Re: Pettine Pick

Pretty much. Those picks are historical curiosities at this point. In my opinion, the Pettine family have squandered by neglect what could have been a very interesting branch of American mandolin music.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgriob View Post
    Surely they can't be THAT much better than my Dunlops, Gibsons, Davas, Sharkfins etc?
    Nope, but a BC can!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shortymack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    Pretty much. Those picks are historical curiosities at this point. In my opinion, the Pettine family have squandered by neglect what could have been a very interesting branch of American mandolin music.
    Huh?? Whatever do you mean by that? Or are you joking?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Huh?? Whatever do you mean by that? Or are you joking?
    I am mainly annoyed that they've let all of his methods and music go out of print and stay out of print during an otherwise remarkable renaissance for the mandolin; the guy was an American Calace but he may as well not have existed. From what I heard, they have been approached but have no interest in letting any contemporary publishers reissue them. If that's not the case, my apologies.

Ahem.... But would the Pettine pick, aside from its historical value, improve my playing? And while I'm at it, would the Blue Chip? ($35 = 300 tortexes).

Quote Originally Posted by SincereCorgi View Post
    I am mainly annoyed that they've let all of his methods and music go out of print and stay out of print during an otherwise remarkable renaissance for the mandolin; the guy was an American Calace but he may as well not have existed. From what I heard, they have been approached but have no interest in letting any contemporary publishers reissue them. If that's not the case, my apologies.
    I don't know about being the American Calace. I do agree that his methods books are excellent but as a performer for some reason he rarely recorded. The only recording I have is an LP prob done when he was not at his height of playing. I don't really know what the story is with re-publishing the Pettine Method books. I did buy my set from a member of the family a bunch of years back.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

No. In my opinion, a Bluechip isn't worth the price either. They are excellent picks but for me no way worth $40 (including shipping).
    -Robert T. -

Blog Entries

Ahem.... But would the Pettine pick, aside from its historical value, improve my playing? And while I'm at it, would the Blue Chip? ($35 = 300 tortexes).
    No of course not. No pick is going to improve your playing. Only you can improve your playing.

But it could very well yes indeed verifiably make your playing sound measureably better, while you are improving it. Is the improvement in tone enough to justify the cost, (what - a couple of cheap meals at a diner), well that is entirely up to you.

I don't have any experience with the Pettine Pick, but extensive experience with the Blue Chip.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by roberto216 View Post
    No. In my opinion, a Bluechip isn't worth the price either. They are excellent picks but for me no way worth $40 (including shipping).
    The pursuit of excellence, unless it costs more.

The entire staff
    funny....

12. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

I would not depend on any particular pick to improve your playing. The type of pick you settle on depends on your technique and the style of music you are playing. The best you can do is to try various picks and see what works best for you.

BTW there are two sizes of Pettine picks. I have a couple of the smaller ones but, even tho I like pointier picks in general, I find them too pointy for my use.

I like and use Blue Chip picks but only because I like the material and they come in the shape and thicknesses I like. I also like the tone I get and the durability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	picks_pettine_640.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	108285  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

I saw a Pettine like the one all the way to the right of that size comparison graphic, in a glass display case of a pick collector. That is as close as I have come.

The entire staff
    funny....

Had to see for myself. I bought the Pettine pick for $9.99. I'll review and post.

Don't know why it hurts to say this, but the Pettine is definitely value for money. It's responsive, doesn't squeak or click and -- most surprisingly -- stays in place between thumb and finger. Turns out the lanceolate shape is easier to hold onto than expected. The thing works well with the Big Muddy to get the sound I like: resonant and the deep end, sparkling at the other. (My repertoire spans dirges to dance tunes and not much in between.)

I restored a Weymann Mandolute recently, and the only thing that sounded "right" on it was the Pettine (smaller size).
    That being said, I am not a fan of it on any other mandolin.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Don't mean to hijack the thread, and I do know that my technique needs improving, but BC is the ONLY pick that I can use that does not get small divets/cuts in it...and I do notice a big diff in the tone I pull out of a BC...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Don't know why it hurts to say this, but the Pettine is definitely value for money. It's responsive, doesn't squeak or click and -- most surprisingly -- stays in place between thumb and finger. Turns out the lanceolate shape is easier to hold onto than expected. The thing works well with the Big Muddy to get the sound I like: resonant and the deep end, sparkling at the other. (My repertoire spans dirges to dance tunes and not much in between.)
    "lanceolate" - kinda like this guy? (But seriously, how thick is the pick?)

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    "lanceolate" - kinda like this guy? (But seriously, how thick is the pick?)

bratsche

I wrote 'hastate' first, then corrected myself. No numbers on the pick. I'd say it's a tad thicker than a white Sharkfin. I think the shape may work well for me because it aligns along my index finger, which has limited flex range (due to old age and abuse).