Thread: Thoughts on the loar 520-VS?

Default Thoughts on the loar 520-VS?

I just ordered one today. It should get here just around tuesday. Wanted to ask what you guys think of it (I hope I made the right choice).

Bark first, Bite later Steve Zawacki's Avatar

Default Re: Thoughts on the loar 520-VS?

My trusty Hohner HG-720 guitar hates it. Since my 520 arrived on Monday it has gotten all the love and the HG-720 may be destined to my granddaughter.

Am impressed with 520. Others can nit-pick it against other instruments, but I just can't find any complaint (and my wife says I'm sometimes too critical with my stuff). I'm not into a lot of decoration on instruments, and my stubby fingers prefer a flat board. The 520 has already well over 20 hours on it (being retired is great) and it's darned tough to put down. It got a very good set-up (thank you, Mr. Fear) and shows/sounds/feels it.

No buyer's remorse here. Should have bought one earlier.
    ...Steve

Current Stable: Two Tenor Guitars (Martin 515, Blueridge BR-40T), a Tenor Banjo (Deering GoodTime 17-Fret), a Mandolin (Burgess #7). two Banjo-Ukes and five Ukuleles..

The inventory is always in some flux, but that's part of the fun.

It is interesting that you enquire after you purchace. not before.

But from what I understand, you made a good choice. I am assuming it will come properly set up.... If not, have a luthier do a good set up on it. If purchased from a mail order discounter it will not come set up.... A fact of life.
    Bart McNeil

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerMando View Post
    I just ordered one today. It should get here just around tuesday. Wanted to ask what you guys think of it (I hope I made the right choice).
    At this point , it's not what WE think of it ...it only matters what YOU think of it now that you've pulled the trigger . My only suggestion is that you give yourself a bit of time to grow attached to all the good points about it and try your best to ignore the not-so-good . Makes for a great relationship .

I LOVE my 520. I did get a great setup which really helped. I also changed the bridge. I play with loud bands sometimes so I went with a Fishman bridge with a pickup. If I was playing acoustically only I might have went with a Cumbetland Acoustic bridge. Enjoy!