Thread: Wrist Pain.

Default Wrist Pain.

Hi guys, I'm pretty new to the mandolin (I've only been playing for about a month) and recently I've noticed pain in my wrist whenever I play. At first it was just when I played mandolin, but now I'm feeling it when I play my guitars too. One of my greatest fears is getting long term wrist damage and I would greatly appreciate some advice on how to prevent it.

Default Re: Wrist Pain.

Which wrist?

Mainly my left (fretting) wrist, but a little in my right too.

First thing I would suggest is to evaluate how you're holding the mandolin. Go to YouTube and look for Mike Marshall's tutorial videos on this subject. Are you at a bad angle, causing your wrist to bend and be under tension? Are you holding the mandolin at the proper angle so it's up near your shoulder level, and not down at your lap?

Also, check the angle of your hand in relation to the neck. Many new players try to keep their hands parallel with the neck so that their fingers are extending perpendicularly to the strings. This can cause a lot of issues.

Squeezing too hard or other issues with the fingers can translate into wrist pain too.

But really, before we do too much guessing on what the problem is, maybe it would help if you could describe how you're holding it and playing it. Or better yet, take a photo or video so we can see what you're doing. A picture is worth a million words, I'm told.

5. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

It is difficult to diagnose the problem remotely. If possible, I would suggest a lesson or two with a good teacher who can tell you if you are doing something wrong. Do it before it gets really bad.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

7. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN4007.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	95.0 KB 
ID:	108151
    This is how I'm holding it, I have absolutely no idea if it's correct.

*Disclaimer* I'm no expert but I might be able to help anyways *

For general melody playing I think you want to move your palm away from the mandolin neck, and cradle it only in the space between your pointer finger and thumb. This should help straighten out your wrist and might get rid of some of the pain. Of course for certain chords you will have to change your grip to accomodate.

I hope it you are able to eliminate the pain soon, best wishes!

P.S. Look up how violin players hold their necks, as it will be similar to how you want to hold the mandolin neck.
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

10. The following members say thank you to TheArimathean for this post:

Blog Entries

I think your head (i.e., the instrument's head) is too low. We new players tend to play with the necks nearly parallel to the floor, like these are folk guitars. But if you watch Mike Marshall or Chris Thile and so forth, they seem to play with the neck at a 45 degree angle to the floor, much like a classical guitar. I think what that does is allow the natural line of your fingertips to be at the same angle as the fretboard. It also gets your thumb off the top of the neck. Marshall points out that as you change chords, your thumb moves around, but it's probably not supposed to roost on the top of the neck.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

12. The following members say thank you to belbein for this post:

That makes sense. I think part of the problem is my huge hands are having a hard time gripping that tiny little neck, I'm used to classical guitar necks and chunky acoustics.

I was going to say, your hand looks huge. No way could I ever have my fingers in that position with so much thumb sitting on top. Mine barely peeks over! I don't know what's causing pain, but it could be that the action is too high. I doubt it's the angle of the neck. I play with it much lower than Thile or Marshall (Mike, of course, not quite as low as Evan ) and I never have any problem... I find a 45 degree angle to be frankly uncomfortable.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

I looked up a Chris Thile video to see what you guys are talking about and I think I get it now. I need to move my thumb down and get that neck at a larger angle to the floor.

Your position in the photo is generally thought of as incorrect... Your thumb should not be that far up and over the fretboard. Normally the thumb should support the neck from just this side of the fretboard and there should be space between your palm and the neck... You want the ability to move your left hand up and down the neck without dragging your palm against the neck. This is not the "easiest" position but it seems to be the most efficient from a playing standpoint. If you have only been playing and practicing for about a month some pain is not unusual and it will take time and effort until efficient playing (fretting) feels normal.

Most players have the same problems you are having.... but it is best to learn the most efficient position of the left hand early on.

Google Mike Marshal for some instructional videos put out by D'darrio strings. One of them deals with exactly what you are concerned with.
    Bart McNeil

working for the mando.... Bluetickhound's Avatar

I have been making an effort to spend as much time playing while standing (which for me necessitates using a strap) as I do playing while seated. I hold the instrument at about a 30-40 degree angle and haven't had any wrist issues... My problem is in the forearm/elbow on the left... I have been working on trying to be sure I'm relaxed and not fighting the instrument and over the past couple if days it seems to have made a difference, both in my playing and managing that achy-breaky elbow...

Blog Entries

As a relative newby I had a similar problem. I check the angle of the mandolin. I know my mandolin is well set up so I know it is not the action. I do not find the pressure for chords tough going and I am someone with light boned small hands!

Something to share: when trying to play guitar the other day I found the neck giagantidc, so staying with my mandolin!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

The bend you have in your wrist in the photo should not be. All the tendons and nerves are being bent instead of being kept straight as they go thru the tunnel in your wrist. Thats where carpal tunnel syndrome occurs, an inflammation in that little tunnel. Also, do a check of the string action on the first fret. Put a guitar capo just before the first fret, then check the action of the strings on the second fret. Remove the capo and check the action of the strings on the first fret. I would bet that the action is much higher on the first fret without the capo. This is something a good setup will fix, the action on that first fret should be really, really low, almost touching the fret, as you saw on the second fret with that capo on.