Thread: Mandolins thru the shop

Default Mandolins thru the shop

This is a compilation video I made of the longer videos I've done on interesting mandolins that have passed thru my shop. No talking, just playing. Hunt down the full video on my channel if you want to hear me talk (plus there are some out-takes on most of the full videos). I wish I'd taken the time to get the Gibson Master Model (older one) that came thru a month or so ago, but I was rushed and didn't have time to video it.

2. The following members say thank you to bryankimsey for this post:

Default Re: Mandolins thru the shop

I like the 2 elkhorns. Thanks for posting was fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by mandoenvy View Post
    I like the 2 elkhorns. Thanks for posting was fun to watch.
    That was the same Elkhorn. The last section was when I'd just gotten the mandolin and the first example was now that I've had it for a couple of weeks, gotten used to it, and refretted it w/ my preferred wire. When I first posted it, someone commented on how they liked the Irish tunes, so I thought I'd toss 'em on the video since, well, it didn't cost anything to do so.

Wow Bryan that was a fantastic compilation. Very useful for those of us looking for tone comparisons.

I also liked the Elkhorn the best. The Kentucky did hold its own pretty well with the more expensive custom makers. To my surprise on the Krishot model, I actually favored the Sitka spruce version over the Engleman version. But both sounded great. All sounded great. You're a super mando player.

Thanks for that great post !
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

6. The following members say thank you to Astro for this post:

Thanks for the comments. No question- that Sitka Krishot was great. I'd have swapped him (the Engleman is mine) but no dice. I still like mine, though. It's got a nice chop and a sparkly sound.

So nice to see these instruments compared in a consistent setting. Although I had a favorite or two, they all sound great to me. Wonderful fiddle tune primer. Thanks Bryan!

Scott

Of all of them, I liked the Krishot with the Sitka top the most. It had a warmth about it that I found lacking in the others, yet it retained clarity and depth.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Albert View Post
    Of all of them, I liked the Krishot with the Sitka top the most. It had a warmth about it that I found lacking in the others, yet it retained clarity and depth.
    Not bad for an X-braced Sitka topped instrument, eh?