Thread: flat top with F holes

Blog Entries

Default flat top with F holes

I was explaining mandolins to a friend of mine and kind of doing a taxonomy of the different types, and I noticed a category for which I could not think of an example. That would be the flat top with F holes. I am sure they are out there, but I can't recall one.

The question then is, does a flat top with F holes distinguish itself from a flat top with oval hole in the same way as with arch tops?

Any direct experience? Any A-B comparisions?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Default Re: flat top with F holes

Flatiron made some around 1980. Here is one pic. This guy has a sound clip, too.

I would imagine that the tone would be changed if the bracing was different, say x-braced vs. tone bars or transverse.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Flatiron%203.jpg 
Views:	177 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	108081  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I remember Chris Baird of Arches built some of his FT flat top models with F holes when they first came out. But a quick check on his site only shows the FT-O(val) model, so it must have been discontinued.

I've done a flat top/Army Navy style with F-holes.
    You can see photos Here
    Terry
    Arkansas Picker
    "Enjoying the Challenge"
    Crystal Forest Mandolins web site
    Facebook page

5. The following members say thank you to TDMpicker for this post:

If memory serves The Mandolin Store sells flat tops from a small maker. Red Valley maybe or something like that. At one point they had one of his flat tops with f holes.

I am curious about this and how rare they seem to be. We make such a fuss about the tonal differences between oval an f holes on carved top instruments. Does that difference not translate to the flat tops? Or is there a reason why there arent more f hole flat tops? Is it because they don't work well?
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Putting the sound hole off to the side, whether it's shaped like a violin-type F or a dragon or whatever doesn't make as huge a difference on flat-top/flat-back mandolins. There is a dramatic difference between carved top and flat top/back mandolins, which will be there regardless of the bracing and sound port design.
    Additionally, when a builder uses an oval hole on a carved instrument, they usually change several other things versus an f-hole instrument from the same builder. Generally the air volume, neck length, bridge position, graduations, and bracing are all factors, as well as the sound hole position, shape, and size.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Jacobson View Post
    Additionally, when a builder uses an oval hole on a carved instrument, they usually change several other things versus an f-hole instrument from the same builder. Generally the air volume, neck length, bridge position, graduations, and bracing are all factors, as well as the sound hole position, shape, and size.
    Very true, and something I often miss. There is a lot going on besides the shape of the hole. Lemme ask though, is the same true for flat tops ovals versus f holes. Perhaps it doesn't matter much at all in the case of flat tops.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Besides trying to fill out a taxonomy, I am curious because I really love the sound of a good flat top oval hole mandolin. My Weber Aspen II is one of the unsung heroes of mandolin types. It doesn't do everything, nothing does, but what it does do it does real real well.

Though I have only tried one, I have heard many Fylde mandolins and they do what they do very very well.

I have also heard and played several Big Muddys, and they are a fantastic bang for the buck, and unless you are overly bluegrasscentric a Big Muddy could well make you happy for ever.

So I am curious to try a flat top F hole, and hear what its like.

The entire staff
    funny....

I would think it does matter. Depending on where you place the f-holes you might limit the placement of an X-bracing. That would certainly affect the tone.

BTW as far as historical instruments, the Shutts were early flattops with f-holes. This was from Banana's site.

One other flattop is the Brazilian bandolim. Definitely different tone from carved instruments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cremonashuttful.jpg 
Views:	160 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	108144  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Blog Entries

Yes you are right, I forgot about the Shutts. And I have played two of them and really enjoyed them.

The entire staff
    funny....

This thread prompted my to look into the Shutts, but all I could find online besides one of these two, listed as faux Shutts were carved top and back instruments.
    Hereby & forthwith, any instrument with an odd number of strings shall be considered broken. With regard to mix levels, usually the best approach is treating the mandolin the same as a cowbell.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Kentucky (Japan) Mande one too - just like the Flatiron.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A