Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's Your Favorite Blue Chip Pick For an F-5 and Bluegrass

Default Re: What's Your Favorite Blue Chip Pick For an F-5 and Bluegrass

I have a CT55 and an XR60 for my Gibson F-5L and tend to use the XR60 more. The CT55 seems too bright and trebly and I'm amazed that it is as popular as it is. It's great for fast picking and tremolo but I think it has more pick noise than the XR60. The XR60 has a more mellow tone and seems to create more volume for me. My only gripe about the XR 60 is that I wish the three points were symmetrical so when my pick starts migrating in my hand, I wouldn't have to visually check to see which point I'm playing with.

I think my next Blue Chip will be the TAD60 or the TAD60-3R for just a little bit more treble/attack volume than the XR60.

Just got for Christmas 2 custom ordered TD45 (with my name on it) and really like them over the TD40 I've used since they first came out. The 50 is just too much for me and the 40 sometimes felt a bit flimsy on the more rugged tunes like Rawhide and Tall Timber. The 45 seems to be just right.

3. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

CT55...But after reading this, I might try a TAD60 to see how I like it..

I've only tried a TAD-40. Just received it yesterday, and I have to say I LOVE it. I'm amazed how much better and cleaner the tone sounds. I may try a thicker pick down the line, but generally I've preferred a thinner pick in my hand and I can't say that I feel this TAD-40 isn't "substantial" enough.
    Gibson F4 (1921)
    Eastman MD515 (2013)

My first (you always remember your first) was a TD 35. I bought it because it was a familiar shape, and I was used to much thinner picks so I got the thinnest one I could fine.

I subsequently order two TAD 50's and I use one as my primary pick, with the other as a backup. I still keep the TD 35 in a container on top of my desk, and use it all the time for practice when I don't want to dig the other out of the case. I can't say there's a ton of difference between the two, but I do like the TAD shape better. And if you ever managed to wear down one corner, there's two more to choose from.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.