Thread: New Cabinet Day

Default New Cabinet Day

I love my amp - Quilter MicroPro 8. Much better sound than most SS amps (so good I sold all my vintage tube amps) and best of all 19 pounds. Very easy gigging amp with PLENTY of power for bigger gigs.

The only thing lacking was just a touch of darkness and more low end punch. So I had a 15" extension cab built that I loaded with an Eminence 15" Big Ben speaker.

Played together, the combination is awesome!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

Default Re: New Cabinet Day

OK Pete,
    Lets hear it!

Quote Originally Posted by Pete Martin View Post
    I love my amp - Quilter MicroPro 8. Much better sound than most SS amps (so good I sold all my vintage tube amps) and best of all 19 pounds. Very easy gigging amp with PLENTY of power for bigger gigs.

The only thing lacking was just a touch of darkness and more low end punch. So I had a 15" extension cab built that I loaded with an Eminence 15" Big Ben speaker.

Played together, the combination is awesome!

I remember seeing this before that using a 15" speaker when amplifying mandolin is beneficial. My ignorance stop me from understanding the impact of the 15". I would expect a mandolin with its rather highly located tone scale or tonal range would not gain from such big speaker. Guitars are usually not aplified with more than 12" so I would expect mandolins not to gain from more than 8" or 10". Please, explain!
    Pete, do you use your set up for an acoustic or electric appearance i.e. clean or more influenced by effects?

I play 50's jazz so I want clean and fat as possible. No effects. One reason I like the Quilter is the sound of the EQ.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

I am considering getting a Micro Pro 8
    If you had to buy another one would you still get the 8" or a 10"
    I noticed that a Jazz guitar player got the 8 and then later switched to the 10

I have an AER Compact 60 , it works well but I sometimes add an old Fender Champ to get a little grit and bloom

I would still buy the 8. It sounds great on its own and I love 19lbs when gig time comes.

I got the 15 to add for recording and playing at the house but won't take it to gigs. I just want to make one trip to the car (2 mandos, fiddle , amp).

Another thing you'll like about the MP is the line out sounds great. Every time I play where the house has a PA, I do that. All the electric mando recordings I've done at www.Jazz-Mandolin.com are the direct out.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

A couple more questions
    Do you use any instruments with piezo's?
    I have both
    It states Ch 2 is specifically designed for electric
    So I guess Ch 1 is for piezo's
    Is the Di out , post or pre eq?
    I checked the online manual and I dont see any mention of it

I can check with Chris Parks if you are too busy

I use an electric fiddle with a piezo type pickup. I bought a Baggs pre to go with it and needed the Baggs with the Fender Blackface and Ampeg tube amps I used to gig with. I don't need it with the MicroPro as the EQ works so well.

Only one channel works at a time is the only thing to be aware of.

I'm pretty sure the DI is post EQ. However, I almost always run my EQ flat (which really is 5 on this amp, unlike most), so don't quote me on this.

Call them. The Quilter folks are very friendly and are one of the best customer service companies I've ever dealt with. I've spoken to Chris and Patrick Quilter many times. Always helpful.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info

Jazz trio

Western Swing music

Thank you