Thread: How long carbon fiber rod for a Gibson A?

Default How long carbon fiber rod for a Gibson A?

In routing a 1/8 x 3/8 carbon fiber truss rod into a Gibson A, should I limit it to the neck, proper, or continue through the top and neck block?

Default Re: How long carbon fiber rod for a Gibson A?

It's not necessary to continue the channel / rod through the neck joint and into the head block. Besides complicating future repairs on the neck joint, the amount of support it adds in that location is negligible -- at least assuming everything with your neck joint is ship-shape.
    Maybe I shouldn't say negligible, but it's not enough to warrant the major headaches of removing it if any other neck or headblock issues arise 50 years from now.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Marty Jacobson For This Useful Post:

There are so many thousands of old Gibsons that clearly have no need for a CF rod, after 70 or more years. Why are you doing this?
    ph

º º º º º º º º º º º º º º º
    Paul Hostetter, luthier
    Santa Cruz, California
    www.lutherie.net

5. The following members say thank you to Paul Hostetter for this post:

Blog Entries

Deleted. I didn't read the OP properly.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

Paul,
    I see your point. It started with a separated fingerboard on my 1915 A, which I removed, refretted off the instrument, and straightened with some upward pressure at the ends and downward along the length.
    I then started following Stewmac's trade secret no. 9, which talks about mandolin neck straightening and use of a carbon rod. But a closer look with a straightedge now shows the neck is only .001" low at midpoint. A straightedge held over the entire footprint of the fingerboard shows a .032" low spot at the neck/body joint. I am considering clamping the system straight and hot hide gluing the board.
    Thanks