Thread: Your top picks if tickets were offered to you

Default Your top picks if tickets were offered to you

All -

I'm planning a trip in November and want to line up as many concerts as I can. I'd prefer the music to either be mandocentric, or at the very least, to include mandolin.

I love what's being called "new acoustic music", including but not limited to: Mike Marshall, Chris Thile, Sarah Jarosz, Aoife O'Donovan, Jerry Douglas, Edgar Meyer, Bryan Sutton, Darol Anger, David Grisman, etc.

I also love mandocentric classical and Brazilian choro music.

I've already checked out the tour dates of my favorites, but I know there are lots that I either haven't heard of yet or who I simply haven't considered.

So if you were offered private concerts by your top artists or bands, who would you pick? (no repeats please,as in: Chris Thile, Chris Thile, Chris Thile )

Pick as many as you want (in decreasing order of interest/desire, please).

I'd appreciate the help. And if there's someone who's new on the scene, I'd like to know who they are.

Thanks,
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Default Re: Your top picks if tickets were offered to you

These top the list partly because I've never seen them live.

Alison Krauss/Union Station is a picker's paradise - but needs more mandolin (imho)

Sarah Jarosz (with her bandmates Alex Hargreaves and Nathaniel Smith = an amazing trio). I've got tickets to see them next month!

Thile/Daves (Michael Daves for the uninitiated) Awesome bluegrass duo.

Mike Marshal especially if I could catch him with Big Trio (with Alex Hargreaves and Paul Kowert)

Sam Bush - My personal hero.

Whatever Thile group I can get my hands on (Yo-yo Ma and the fellas, Punch brothers, whatever)

Alan Steffey especially if I could catch him playing with Alan Jackson No, really. (you DO know you can sign up for private lessons on his website, right?)

David Grisman anything he's doing this week I'll sit quietly and listen to.

Avi Avital - Amazing mandolin player - classical, ero-traditional... ??? Amazing music that is way out of my norm.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

This include air fare and Hotels?
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Gillian Welch (looks like she didn't tour this year at all)
    Richard Thompson
    Los Lobos
    Jimmy Vaughan

Odd lot for a mando board, eh?

D.H.

The Green Cards. Really strong instrumentalists, singers, songwriters and Kym Warner is one of the very best mandolin players period. Their current lineup is seamless inside the arrangements and outside in the jams. Can't say enough about this great group.
    Bob Kirkland
    Rigel R100 Deluxe
    Mix F5
    Epiphone Mandobird VIII

6. The following members say thank you to Bob Kirkland for this post:

Jarosz, O'Donovan, O'Brien, Steffey, Grissman ( Grissman would be first but I've seen him a couple times and try to see new stuff) ( Thile would be on the list in any band or solo, but i've seen him several times. Each time was GREAT!)
    Jim Richmond

Frank Solivan and Dirty Kitchen. I love his playing, and both the guitar and banjo players won awards at IBMA this year. Any groups or permutations that include John Reischman, Emory Lester, Don Stiernberg or Don Julin.

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

Assume either that air fare, hotel, rental car, meals are included OR that the artist(s) come to your home and then offer to pay for the dinner/snacks/drinks that you've provided. If the latter, also assume that the neighbors have all been afflicted with temporary deafness which will last for the length of time that the artist(s) are there.
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

Hi CeeCee -

My suggestion is to see an Evan Marshall live performance. You will be amazed.

Lee

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

The very top of my list would be Andy Statman - i would certainly like to hear him play mandolin and clarinet but i would also greatly appreciate the chance to chat with him - from the impression i have formed he seems to be a very nice and interesting chap.

If i could extend the terms of your original post - as much as i would appreciate attending one of Mr. Statman's concerts, and i would dearly love to attend one, it would not be my ideal situation.

This may sound strange but i would much prefer to hear him play in a more relaxed setting, playing informally amongst and for friends and that's not something i think i can buy even with an imaginary ticket that's something you need to be invited into.

and it's the joy of such a setting that i imagine that i hear in his music - and that's what i love about it not the undoubted technical brilliance but the joy his music transmits - and i am very grateful that he shares it with us, on record or in concert

- if you get the chance to attend one of Mr. Statman's concerts, then, magic ticket or no, i say jump at the chance.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by mandolinlee View Post
    Hi CeeCee -

My suggestion is to see an Evan Marshall live performance. You will be amazed.

Lee
    That's one guy that I would love to see live/in concert. Only seen him on YouTube video so far. I almost think I have to see him in person to be convinced that he can really play like that without video editing tricks. The guy is not only an amazing player, but seems to have a comfortable, winning way with the audience.

13. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I wouldnt trade my best picks for any tickets.

15. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Blog Entries

I'd like to see David Harvey and Tim Ware do a seminar on the old Gibson instruments, also Tony Williamson Gibson Loar era production, One on one with Grisman, Mike Marshall, Chris Thile, Ronnie McCoury, Jesse McReynolds, I'm sure there is more but I'm so so tired right now. Oh and go back in time and hang with Clarence White, John Duffey, David Appolin, well that list could be almost endless!!!!

a Les Paul and Jetro Burns session, or Eldon Shamblin and Jethro and Tiny Moore .
    And, say Charlie Haden on bass..
    \
    yea some time travel would be useful to bring back the past players ..

put Grisman in the Actual Hot Club with Django and Grapelli and the rest.

Or more contemporary , but Classical music .. Simon Mayor's Mandolininquents.

[was you tube cruising tonight]
    Last edited by mandroid; Oct-06-2013 at 12:11am.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

put Grisman in the Actual Hot Club with Django and Grapelli and the rest.
    Do that and I am there! What ever the ticket costs
    Jim Richmond

Blog Entries

In no particular stream o thought order.

Joe Brent and Alon Sariel doing their Dowland thing.
    Thile solo.
    Goat Rodeo sessions
    Grisman
    Chris Aquavella
    Marshal - Lichtenberg
    Scott Tichenor at the coffee shop.
    Carolina Chocolate Drops.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

FLATROCK HILL -

I was fortunate enough to see and hear him play several years ago in Michigan and I can tell you--- he REALLY can and does play like that. He played "William Tell Overture" just like on his recording "The Lone Arranger".

Lee

Howlin' Wolf, Billie Holiday, Charlie Christian, Sonny Boy Williamson, Charlie Parker . . . and Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs!
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

My number one ticket would be Darrell Scott. He plays mostly guitar, but you never know what he might play.
    The last concert I went to, he brought a banjo, and bouzouki. The venue had a grand piano. So, he played that too.
    He's on tour with Tim O' right now. I've seen him play mando while Tim plays his octave. They'll be in Portland in a few
    weeks and so will I. Two top tickets in one.
    Then three days later I'm off to Seattle to see John Reischman and the Blue Jays.
    Hoping Della Mae makes it back to the area again soon.
    Probably the best mandolin content concert I ever saw was Emory Lester and Don Steirnberg playing with each other. WoW.
    These are my Favorite people and groups.
    Sorry, Sid. It looks like I'm taking most of your picks.
    But, it just shows you have good taste.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit