Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Default I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

The News broke today: Alan Jackson's new Bluegrass band to open MerleFest this year. Next will come RedFox, Bean Blossom, Summersville, WVA, Rosine, Denton.
    So for those you who said it was a one off at the Station Inn , I knew better. He has recorded an all Bluegrass CD. He is now touring with a Bluegrass Band. Next comes the wins in guitar,singer,band, and the big entertainer of the year 2014 at IBMA in Raleigh next Sept. He's got almost a full year to make it known he is in it to win it. Steve Martin did it last year, now it's Jackson's turn. Has anyone forgotten Bruce Hornesby big Grammy Bluegrass win? Anybody but those that make a living at Bluegrass music.
    I bet the next announcement for MerleFest is for Janie Frickie's new bluegrass tour to be included. Then will come senior Gibb brother Barry out on his "BeeGees do Monroe" tour. Skaggs has already got that one started.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Default Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

You're kidding, right?
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I'm expecting to see the Rolling Stones do The Lester Flatt Remembrance Tour eventually the way things are going! It was good to meet you at IBMA f5loar. I thought I would see you again someplace, maybe learn a bit from you. Sorry I missed you at your gig. So much going on I got lost in it all. I was in search of an A-style when we met, and I think you mentioned a 50's Gibson A, considering I wanted a wider neck. I was looking, couldn't find one there, but I think I got one real close to what I wanted in the KM950. Maybe next year we can pick some.

Pray tell, is there twerking involved in all this?

Quote Originally Posted by mandopete View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Nope, I awoke this morning with the email direct from MerleFest.org. You can check it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmando View Post
    I'm expecting to see the Rolling Stones do The Lester Flatt Remembrance Tour eventually the way things are going! It was good to meet you at IBMA f5loar. I thought I would see you again someplace, maybe learn a bit from you. Sorry I missed you at your gig. So much going on I got lost in it all. I was in search of an A-style when we met, and I think you mentioned a 50's Gibson A, considering I wanted a wider neck. I was looking, couldn't find one there, but I think I got one real close to what I wanted in the KM950. Maybe next year we can pick some.
    Saga had some killer Kentucky mandolins there. The only one I didn't like was the most expensive, the Monroe model. The others were all top flight Fs and As. It is hard to find someone among 20,000 people in one area. Lots going on in Raleigh. I expect next year to be even bigger.

Why shouldn't Alan Jackson be booked at MerleFest? Makes good sense to me, and I would not be surprised if Merlefest has tried to book him before. I would not necessarily think that means appearances at all the bluegrass festivals Tom mentioned, though.

Not sure about IBMA awards, but would not be surprised to see a bluegrass grammy for Alan Jackson.
    Russ Jordan

Ahh, marketing, the all American way!
    Thanks Tom, you are more tuned in than the average guy!
    Good for you!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Sad to see the drifting of Bluegrass.....Where will it be in 20 years. Alan Jackson is a GREAT GREAT GREAT Country singer
    and I think there is no one any better, but who are we kidding. The country scene is way to Rocky for Alan we know that, but what happens when Bluegrass is too "Hollywood or too Nashville", do we burn our Monroe and Stanley Brothers records?

I just hope that we aren't trading our Bluegrass souls for a deal with the Devil at the Crossroad near Music Row..............
    2014 Ellis F
    2012 Gibson F5G
    2012 Martin D18GE
    1990 Martin HD28V (custom prototype)

No need to worry--I bet this will be the only bluegrass album AJ makes. He makes too much $ with his country gigs.
    Russ Jordan

Jackson has the $$$ to take this bluegrass train as far as he wants to or stop it when he feels like it. I say watch him roll all the way to Raleigh next year.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to f5loar For This Useful Post:

Do you know who the band line up is? I guess he could pick and choose the best.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

Let us not forget that Alan Jackson has somewhere in the close proximity of a BAJILLION fans. He'll probably bring bluegrass into the homes of a huge number of people who wouldn't normally listen to it.

We could be looking at the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" effect all over again and end up with a big influx of new BG fans. You'd be hard pressed to pick a person more likely to succeed at bringing in new blood.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

16. The following members say thank you to padawan for this post:

Blog Entries

All we can do is not buy Alans "Bluegrass???" cd. don't contribute to it. Save the grammy for the REAL+TRUE bluegrass players! I could see it if a country star got their start in bluegrass and wanted to go back to their roots later in life because once the grass is in your blood its like a bad disease it don't go away, it may hibernate but its always there! Plus they paid their dues with talent and pretty much no pay! Whats next big name actors who want to go bluegrass and rob real pickers out of the prizes?? Maybe my thought process is whacked!!!!

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    I say watch him roll all the way to Raleigh next year.
    You're on - $5 says it will never happen.

2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Quote Originally Posted by padawan View Post
    Let us not forget that Alan Jackson has somewhere in the close proximity of a BAJILLION fans. He'll probably bring bluegrass into the homes of a huge number of people who wouldn't normally listen to it.
    We could be looking at the "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" effect all over again and end up with a big influx of new BG fans. You'd be hard pressed to pick a person more likely to succeed at bringing in new blood.

Couldn't agree more with the quote above . I'm having a lot of difficulty understanding why there is so much animosity here about Alan Jackson singing bluegrass . With all due respect to the Cafe , it borders on a snobbery of sorts doesn't it ? He's putting a GREAT bunch of bluegrass pickers to work recording and touring with him while showcasing their amazing talents , he's raising the general public's awareness of the genre and he's doing it in a bluegrass arena ....not a hockey arena . If his music makes people smile , sing along and appreciate the power of a song , a solo , harmonies ....isn't THAT the ultimate goal all of us , as players and singers , shoot for when entertaining ? We don't have to LIKE AJ's interpretation of the genre -I'm sure we all know bluegrass bands we aren't all that fond of for whatever reasons - but it seems to me its a win-win for AJ AND the genre and its current and prospective followers.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to roysboy For This Useful Post:

Was going to a gig tonight listening to SiriusXM Bluegrass Junction and wouldn't you know it here comes Alan's new hit bluegrass song "Blue Ridge Mountain Song" on it. And on the way back another song from Jackson. He's already bought radio play time for his bluegrass CD on SiriusXM. Just another cog in the wheel of the Jackson Bluegrass Express rolling into Raleigh 2014. Look for Jackson to grace the cover of BU in a few months, then watch his bluegrass songs rise up the charts in BU. This train cannot be stopped. Here is the email sent to me from MerleFest this morning: ""We are very pleased that Alan Jackson will be joining us for MerleFest 2014. With his new bluegrass album, he will be sure to please both the diehard country and bluegrass fans at MerleFest," says Ted Hagaman, festival director. "His accomplishments in the music industry are huge and have left their mark on country music history. Jackson's songs are timeless and will be recognizable to the MerleFest crowds. We know his performance on Thursday night will offer a MerleFest moment as he focuses his set toward his bluegrass project. It is sure to kick off a very successful festival in April." Alan Jackson is one of the most successful and respected singer-songwriters in music. He is in the elite company of Paul McCartney and John Lennon among songwriters who have written more than 20 songs that they have recorded and taken to the top of the charts. Jackson has sold nearly 60 million albums worldwide, topped the country singles charts 35 times, and scored more than 50 Top 10 hits. He has written or co-written 24 of his 35 No. 1 hit singles. Jackson is an 18-time ACM Award winner, a 16-time CMA Award recipient, and a two-time Grammy-winning artist whose songwriting has earned him the prestigious ASCAP Founders Award and an induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame as a 2011 Songwriter/Artist inductee. Jackson's The Bluegrass Album, released September 24 on ACR (Alan's Country Records)/EMI Records Nashville and produced by Keith Stegall and Jackson's nephew, Adam Wright, has garnered rave reviews in its first week of release. The new album boasts the talents of such bluegrass greats as Sammy Shelor (banjo), Adam Steffey (mandolin), Tim Crouch (fiddle), Tim Dishman (bass), Rob Ickes (dobro) and Ronnie Bowman and Don Rigsby (vocals) and Scott Coney (acoustic guitar), also a member of Jackson's touring band."
    It would be hard not to go to the top awards with that band behind you. Heck I could put Ronnie Stoneman singing in that band and she would win at IBMA. Let's hope MerleFest does not "jump" in and book David Lee Roth this year! For those of you who missed this epic performance of the Bluegrass version of "Jump" on David Letterman here is another version for your viewing pleasure. Be sure and see the dancing at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Tx4FyPf7s

22. The following members say thank you to f5loar for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

f5loar,

Can I please die now!

I know everybody has a right to self expression, but good night!

And the way the 2 hostesses say "Bluegrass!"...please gag me with the proverbial spoon; enough already!

If he really wants to play bluegrass then, okaaaay, but I don't really think so. I'd jam with him in the context of a real bluegrass jam, but this seems waaaay over the top! Somewhere I hear Mr. Monroe saying "What's he trying to do up there?"

Goodnite! Going to take my medication and get comfortably numb...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Was going to a gig tonight listening to SiriusXM Bluegrass Junction and wouldn't you know it here comes Alan's new hit bluegrass song "Blue Ridge Mountain Song" on it. And on the way back another song from Jackson. He's already bought radio play time for his bluegrass CD on SiriusXM. Just another cog in the wheel of the Jackson Bluegrass Express rolling into Raleigh 2014. Look for Jackson to grace the cover of BU in a few months, then watch his bluegrass songs rise up the charts in BU. This train cannot be stopped. Here is the email sent to me from MerleFest this morning: ""We are very pleased that Alan Jackson will be joining us for MerleFest 2014. With his new bluegrass album, he will be sure to please both the diehard country and bluegrass fans at MerleFest," says Ted Hagaman, festival director. "His accomplishments in the music industry are huge and have left their mark on country music history. Jackson's songs are timeless and will be recognizable to the MerleFest crowds. We know his performance on Thursday night will offer a MerleFest moment as he focuses his set toward his bluegrass project. It is sure to kick off a very successful festival in April." Alan Jackson is one of the most successful and respected singer-songwriters in music. He is in the elite company of Paul McCartney and John Lennon among songwriters who have written more than 20 songs that they have recorded and taken to the top of the charts. Jackson has sold nearly 60 million albums worldwide, topped the country singles charts 35 times, and scored more than 50 Top 10 hits. He has written or co-written 24 of his 35 No. 1 hit singles. Jackson is an 18-time ACM Award winner, a 16-time CMA Award recipient, and a two-time Grammy-winning artist whose songwriting has earned him the prestigious ASCAP Founders Award and an induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame as a 2011 Songwriter/Artist inductee. Jackson's The Bluegrass Album, released September 24 on ACR (Alan's Country Records)/EMI Records Nashville and produced by Keith Stegall and Jackson's nephew, Adam Wright, has garnered rave reviews in its first week of release. The new album boasts the talents of such bluegrass greats as Sammy Shelor (banjo), Adam Steffey (mandolin), Tim Crouch (fiddle), Tim Dishman (bass), Rob Ickes (dobro) and Ronnie Bowman and Don Rigsby (vocals) and Scott Coney (acoustic guitar), also a member of Jackson's touring band."
    It would be hard not to go to the top awards with that band behind you. Heck I could put Ronnie Stoneman singing in that band and she would win at IBMA. Let's hope MerleFest does not "jump" in and book David Lee Roth this year! For those of you who missed this epic performance of the Bluegrass version of "Jump" on David Letterman here is another version for your viewing pleasure. Be sure and see the dancing at the end: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Tx4FyPf7s
    All of that and i still would never have heard of Alan Jackson if it was not for these threads complaining about his incursion on rather exclusive sward of bluegrass.

and what a rather odd exclusion policy - the door is open to one and all - except, of course, for those folks who have already proven themselves talented musicians elsewhere.

25. The following members say thank you to M.Marmot for this post:

Jackson's roots aren't in bluegrass, they are in gospel ...so he's certainly the kind of person we need to keep out of bluegrass. (Yes, that's sarcasm)

Why the hatred guys? Jackson paid his dues writing and singing in his spare time while working at Wal-Mart. If not for his wife bumping into Glen Campbell in an airport and handing him a demo tape A.J. might still be driving a forklift. (I looked it up)

I don't hate the guy for wanting to play something different after 20 some odd years of the same thing day after day. For what it's worth, that's the same reason I bought a mandolin.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to padawan For This Useful Post:

I'm another who likes seeing Jackson in bluegrass. Look at Rhonda Vincent, Patty Loveless, Ricky Scaggs, Marty Stewart.....and let's not forget Dixie and Tom T Hall, all with a past steeped in country music. I grew up with classic country and bluegrass and really enjoyed the country till the past number of years when it turned to what they call country today. Now I focus on bluegrass mainly. I have a lot of friends who were diehard country fans and have turned to bluegrass because there is no more country as we knew it. The same may apply to Alan Jackson. We as players and fans have the option to turn to bluegrass for a music outlet so why not afford Jackson and others the same option. Jackson is full of creativity and can (and probably will) write some classic bluegrass tunes. Now, back to the shop where I'm working on my new design for a wawa petal for electric banjo and mandolin. (Just joking)
    Paul Josey

I am unfamiliar with Alan Jackson, as I don't listen to today's country music. If he wants to go down the the grass highway, it's a big enough road to handle his caravan. Just hope he can 'jump' a little better than DLR (not really a fair comparison...)

Speaking of which, learned at IBMA that David Parmley is now the Transportation Manager for Rascal Flatts, handling the band's touring vehicle fleet..."I'll Be On That Good Road Someday..."

Quote Originally Posted by padawan View Post
    Jackson's roots aren't in bluegrass, they are in gospel ...so he's certainly the kind of person we need to keep out of bluegrass. (Yes, that's sarcasm)

Why the hatred guys? Jackson paid his dues writing and singing in his spare time while working at Wal-Mart. If not for his wife bumping into Glen Campbell in an airport and handing him a demo tape A.J. might still be driving a forklift. (I looked it up)

I don't hate the guy for wanting to play something different after 20 some odd years of the same thing day after day. For what it's worth, that's the same reason I bought a mandolin.
    That pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. Alan Jackson is not the prototypical modern country music star. It seems that many of them are hand-picked at a young age and preened to be pop sensations, mostly for their looks and not for their talent. But Alan Jackson comes from more honest roots and has proven himself. I've always thought he didn't fit the modern C&W mold.

I don't understand why folks would automatically reject his crossing over into bluegrass without even giving him a chance. OK, it would be one thing if he drags a bunch of C&W style garbage into bluegrass. But if he makes an honest effort to bring his talent to the bluegrass scene because it calls to him, and he wants to stay true to the bluegrass sound and spirit? Why would anyone fault him for that? Is there some sort of unwritten rule that once you're successful in one genre, you are not allowed to horn in on others? Well, maybe there is. Chris Thile is certainly experiencing that with some of the negativity surrounding his Bach project. (Sorry for "polluting" this thread with the CT reference, but I see many parallels there.)

As for me, I'll take a wait-and-see approach. I want to hear Alan Jackson's bluegrass works and see how he approaches it before getting all judgy-judgy about it. I would hope that with the group he's putting together (including Adam Steffey!), he will get off on the right foot. Unfortunately, because he's already rich and famous, no matter how he approaches it, lots of people will accuse him of trying to grandstand and buy his way into a bunch of awards.

Taken from Alan Jackson’s website:

They say that timing’s everything in bluegrass music. If that’s so, Alan Jackson’s is just right. “I probably started thinking about the bluegrass album sometime in the mid-‘90s,” the iconic country singer and songwriter explains. “But O Brother, Where Art Thou? came along, a couple of other country artists were doing some bluegrass stuff, and I didn’t want to seem like I was jumping on the bandwagon. Then, when Alison Krauss and I started working together, we ended up going in a different direction—it was a very cool album, and I’m proud of it. I think things happen when they’re supposed to, though, and when I finally got to it this winter, it just seemed like the right time in my life, in my head—in everything.”

You can read the rest of it here: http://www.alanjackson.com/about.html

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Well, he's got some heavy hitters in his band.
    Living’ in the Mitten