Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Default Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Unlike AJ, Elvis failed to feature a banjo on his all acoustic unplugged Americania tour so he was not a serious contender for IBMA plus he didn't pay his IBMA membership dues. Hey, don't blame me for this sinking ship. I thought it sunk 5 pages ago. I'm just trying to keep you and others from "drowning" in a "sea of heartaches" as Jimmy Gauderau would say!

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Unlike AJ, Elvis failed to feature a banjo on his all acoustic unplugged Americania tour so he was not a serious contender for IBMA plus he didn't pay his IBMA membership dues. Hey, don't blame me for this sinking ship. I thought it sunk 5 pages ago. I'm just trying to keep you and others from "drowning" in a "sea of heartaches" as Jimmy Gauderau would say!
    I wasn't nominating him or anything, don't think that it is grass any more than that AJ fellow plays grass, but the band kills it. Compton plays a pure Monroe solo and Duncan fiddles up a storm. The whole band has gumption.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunting View Post
    I wasn't nominating him or anything, don't think that it is grass any more than that AJ fellow plays grass, but the band kills it. Compton plays a pure Monroe solo and Duncan fiddles up a storm. The whole band has gumption.
    That was a solid line-up for Mr. Costello - what i liked about those two (?) albums of his is that it attempted to work with the bluegrass sound rather than trying to be bluegrass proper -if that makes sense. The songs and instrumentation were definitely tinged with southern flavour but it seems to me that there was no overt attempt to write 'bluegrass' material - they were Elvis Costello songs with an Americana setting.

(I can say the same thing for a recent album 'Honky Tonk' from French musician Sanseverino who kept to his own songwriting identity but again backed by instruments more readily associated with Bluegrass.)

While these albums do boast some sterling moments - they also highlighted for me the difficulty of working with Bluegrass instrumentation.

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    While these albums do boast some sterling moments - they also highlighted for me the difficulty of working with Bluegrass instrumentation.
    I think the difficulty comes from trying to force the square peg into the round hole.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FLATROCK HILL View Post
    I think the difficulty comes from trying to force the square peg into the round hole.
    True, bluegrass players can't really play anything outside that patch of grass - no, hold back on the lynch- mob fellas i'm just kidding.

I think you're right to a degree - but mostly i think it is an underestimation on the part of the songwriters/arrangers of the difficulties of working with the Bluegrass sound.

But still i like that they try - square pegs into round holes? that's why we have nine pound hammers.

"If Elvis were alive today would he have done an all bluegrass album?"
    I'm sure that if he did, he would name it The Blue Suede Shoe Grass Album.

Blog Entries

.... oh wait is he the one that got shot? or is he the one in prison?
    That narrows it down, doesn't it.

True, bluegrass players can't really play anything outside that patch of grass - no, hold back on the lynch- mob fellas i'm just kidding.
    I was already loading up the truck..
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Well, what Elvis does have is the recording of BMOK, which resulted in them powerful checks for the composer.

Blog Entries

I can't figure out if you're serious or pulling our legs, f5, but maybe a little of both. Alan jackson is a great singer and successful but when I listened to that track/video posted I just heard Alan Jackson singing as always with bluegrass instrumentation. What was the difference bet. his country songs and that except for the banjo?

I like AJ, think it's fine for him to crossover (like I really care anyway) but I need to hear my tracks b/c I'm not convinced it's really bluegrass but more appropriately "hardly bluegrass" country.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    I was already loading up the truck..
    Thats the one good thing about upsetting a bluegrass mob you'll always be assured of some good chase music

11. The following members say thank you to M.Marmot for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by greg_tsam View Post
    I can't figure out if you're serious or pulling our legs, f5, but maybe a little of both. Alan jackson is a great singer and successful but when I listened to that track/video posted I just heard Alan Jackson singing as always with bluegrass instrumentation. What was the difference bet. his country songs and that except for the banjo?
    A buddy of mine was playing some more of this album for me over the weekend (he downloaded it from iTunes). That was my impression exactly. It sounded like typical Alan Jackson music, but with a dobro in place of the usual electric steel guitar and the addition of a banjo and mandolin. The harmony singing was all "behind" his voice, not equal with it. As if they were just singing backup on the Alan Jackson Show, instead of giving full weight to the harmony singing (I actually do blame the producer for that one, not Alan). While it all had a nice sound, it just didn't sound like bluegrass to me.

It's weird, because I really respect Alan Jackson for many reasons, including his singing ability and his songwriting skill. But you can't just change the words to something about the mountains, add a banjo, and call it bluegrass.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tobin For This Useful Post:

Thats the one good thing about upsetting a bluegrass mob you'll always be assured of some good chase music

Now that there is funny.
    I don't care who you are.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

It has crossed my mind that if Ronnie Bowman had been singing lead on these songs, with this band, there would not be a peep from the Bluegrass Police about how it's "not bluegrass". Perhaps part of the problem with this specific example is AJ's distinctive voice which immediately brings to mind his country songs.

I thought in recent years the genre was accepting of a broader spectrum of music that can be called "bluegrass". Perhaps I need to have it explicitly defined, as does Lou Reid, Alison Krauss, the Greencards, Crooked Still, Cadillac Sky, Blue Highway, the Stringdusters, Nickel Creek, perhaps Della Mae and so on. I've seen and enjoyed almost all of these bands at "bluegrass only" events and have to say everyone there enjoyed them.

As we've already proven in this thread, people have different ideas of what "bluegrass" is, according to their own personal tastes, and I don't think anyone is going to convince anyone else to be swayed to their side, just wanted to throw out some more food for thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
    A buddy of mine was playing some more of this album for me over the weekend (he downloaded it from iTunes). That was my impression exactly. It sounded like typical Alan Jackson music, but with a dobro in place of the usual electric steel guitar and the addition of a banjo and mandolin. The harmony singing was all "behind" his voice, not equal with it. As if they were just singing backup on the Alan Jackson Show, instead of giving full weight to the harmony singing (I actually do blame the producer for that one, not Alan). While it all had a nice sound, it just didn't sound like bluegrass to me.

It's weird, because I really respect Alan Jackson for many reasons, including his singing ability and his songwriting skill. But you can't just change the words to something about the mountains, add a banjo, and call it bluegrass.

Had AJ thought to record this in the normal bluegrass traditional 3 part harmony with all 3 parts equal in volume, vs just being background Opry singers it would get more bluegrass praise. Personally I'd like to here those 3 guys do some Osborne songs but had you asked AJ to do that he would gently respond with "sorry I'm not doing no Donnie and Marie songs".

Had AJ thought to record this in the normal bluegrass traditional 3 part harmony with all 3 parts equal in volume, vs just being background Opry singers it would get more bluegrass praise. Personally I'd like to here those 3 guys do some Osborne songs but had you asked AJ to do that he would gently respond with "sorry I'm not doing no Donnie and Marie songs".
    Too wise

I guess The Dillards (There Is A Time) isn't "bluegrassy" enough for you F5. Clearly the audience hates it too

Last edited by randygwatkins; Oct-07-2013 at 6:03pm.

That video only showed me that if you got a really good bluegrass band you don't need a guitar player. Notice how Jackson continues to stop playing. Even stopped cold during Sammy's banjo break. As far as blending the vocal harmonies that can be heard here, that would be because the sound man at the Station Inn is use to normal bluegrass harmony singing and did not adjust to match the studio blend. And audience liking it? Really? I think you put up the wrong video for that answer. On this one after Jackson tells Opry announcer Eddie Stubbs that he hopes he recorded an album the bluegrass people will like, Eddie quickly says "I think these people just like to hear Alan Jackson music! " Kinda hard for a room filled with 80% Jackson diehard fans to not like anything he does. They were behind him for the gospel train, they will stand by their man for the Bluegrass Express and ride with him all the way to Raleigh next Sept. Play this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...euB4Lmpg#t=157

post removed. violates forum posting guidelines.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-08-2013 at 8:11am. Reason: violates forum posting guidelines

I'm not sure what his daughter's arrest has to do with the subject but as the "approver of all bluegrass music" I bow to your judgement. If he comes to Texas and you want to check him out I'll buy you a ticket and we'll go together

comment removed. violates forum posting guidelines
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-08-2013 at 8:09am.

No need for me to travel that far. He's already booked for Merlefest only a short ride from me and I'll get to see him again in Raleigh next Sept. at IBMA FANFAIR SHOWCASE RAMBLE at the RedHat Ampitheater.

Sweet, maybe I'll make it out there and we can sit together

I'm not sure what point you are trying to validate, except that you are grumpy.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-08-2013 at 8:10am.

25. The following members say thank you to Herbm55 for this post:

I cannot believe the latitude you are being given with this thread. You're not only toeing the line, you're surfing on it. Impressive.
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Oct-08-2013 at 8:10am.

Blog Entries

This topic has now moved into an unacceptable area we will not host. If it moves into other discussions be warned, membership privileges will be immediately removed without warning if you are unable to adhere to forum posting guidelines.