Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Default Re: I told you so! Jackson is after those IBMA awards!

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Alan Jackson is one of the most successful and respected singer-songwriters in music. He is in the elite company of Paul McCartney and John Lennon among songwriters who have written more than 20 songs that they have recorded and taken to the top of the charts. Jackson has sold nearly 60 million albums worldwide, topped the country singles charts 35 times, and scored more than 50 Top 10 hits. He has written or co-written 24 of his 35 No. 1 hit singles. Jackson is an 18-time ACM Award winner, a 16-time CMA Award recipient, and a two-time Grammy-winning artist whose songwriting has earned him the prestigious ASCAP Founders Award and an induction into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame as a 2011 Songwriter/Artist inductee. Jackson's The Bluegrass Album, released September 24 on ACR (Alan's Country Records)/EMI Records Nashville and produced by Keith Stegall and Jackson's nephew, Adam Wright, has garnered rave reviews in its first week of release. The new album boasts the talents of such bluegrass greats as Sammy Shelor (banjo), Adam Steffey (mandolin), Tim Crouch (fiddle), Tim Dishman (bass), Rob Ickes (dobro) and Ronnie Bowman and Don Rigsby (vocals) and Scott Coney (acoustic guitar), also a member of Jackson's touring band."
    It would be hard not to go to the top awards with that band behind you. Heck I could put Ronnie Stoneman singing in that band and she would win at IBMA.
    I don't think f5Loar is specifically commenting on the quality of a Jackson Bluegrass album, but rather a disappointment that he sees the political "wheels" behind the way the IBMA chooses the "best in bluegrass".

Lets face it, someone with popularity like this will prevent any of the bluegrass bands that we currently know and love from gaining the recognition they deserve.
    Last edited by dang; Oct-02-2013 at 8:37am. Reason: I type poorly.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

2. The following members say thank you to dang for this post:

Blog Entries

Do ya wonder why these "country music" people go to Bluegrass? For some it was their first love and profession. Just yesterday My wife and I were taking our little girl to a farm/little park and we had the radio on, we had on the country music station and I was disgusted! Almost everything that we heard was what "pop" music is/used to be before it turned to that rap/hip hop crap. Long Gone are the true blue Country stars such as Buck Owens, Merle Haggard, Cash, Willie, Alabama etc....Now that's Country music! Most all of it now is pop, Heck Toby Kieth had a few tunes with a rap flavor didn't he.

4. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dang View Post
    Lets face it, a heavy hitter like this will prevent any of the bluegrass bands that we currently know and love from gaining the recognition they deserve.
    Whether intentional on his part or not, that's probably true. But does it mean he should stay away because of that?

Maybe the best compromise would be for him to state up front that while he is indeed 'crossing over', he is removing himself from any eligibility for awards. And what he will do as a gesture of goodwill is to promote and encourage some of these smaller-name bands alongside him. But I'd bet that his legal team and marketing folks would have a cow if he did that.

Or maybe the IBMA needs to come up with a new award category:

Best Bluegrass Album By A Guy Who The Mandolin Cafe Argues Over Incessantly

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlanN For This Useful Post:

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Just like when David Lee Roth went bluegrass - it's a stunt.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

I can't name one Alan Jackson hit. But, I've heard him sing and he's good. He has performed 'live' before millions. I'm sure he puts on a good show, has good musicians and good material. I'll check out youtube; if he sounds good I'll see him perform if he's in the area. He will be good for bluegrass; will bring in more fans who will be more willing to come to hear you play at the ruritan club because "Alan Jackson plays bluegrass. I like 'that' bluegrass."

Many, many people who don't care for bluegrass will say, "you play bluegrass? I don't like that singing through your nose. And the banjo is always so loud. I can't even tell what they're singing about. They spend half the night getting the sound system to work right."

Typically, 'not so good' bluegrass bands are able to get gigs. They are willing to play for a meal. They can't sing, play or relate to an audience, and they give bluegrass a bad name. These bands are what most people think of as bluegrass. Alison came along and many millions now say they like bluegrass. Picky Ricky Skaggs came back to bluegrass with his high standards and a few million now say they like bluegrass. Marty Raybon plays a limited schedule, he has done the same. If Alan Jackson plays quality bluegrass and can relate to the audience he will bring more millions to bluegrass. And more of the general public will say they like 'that.' And if that causes the 'not so good' bluegrass bands to work on their show and have some pride in their work.....or stay in the basement....so be it.

I absolutely love bluegrass. I listen to nothing else and I play nothing else. I attend as many shows as possible. But why the standards for a typical bluegrass band who plays for an audience are so low is a mystery to me. If Alan Jackson comes to do a show I am sure it will be a very good show with very good music. He will draw more people. Hopefully, the standards will continue to trickle down to the 'typical band.'

***All of this is assuming he's playing bluegrass and not country. I have not heard anything off of his CD.

Bob
    re simmers

I'll be curious to hear what some have to say after actually listening to his new album. I have it, and I like it. I like his country music, and I like the current album. I honestly have no clue why so many are so dead-set on classifying each genre of music as "this or that", instead of just enjoying the music. Our local bluegrass club is slowly but surely dying away (literally) because the hard-liners actively discourage younger members, so many come once or twice and are never seen again. I had a teenager who really liked the mandolin and the music, but much preferred The Infamous Stringdusters, Cadillac Sky etc to the Stanley Brothers, F&S and the like, and as a result he no longer has any interest in bluegrass.

I also believe that Jackson may bring many, many fans to bluegrass who would have otherwise never given it a chance, purely because they love to hear whatever he chooses to sing, be it gospel, Christmas music, country, bluegrass etc.

Give the new album a listen and see what you think before condemning him for playing it.

Blog Entries

As long as there are people who like how they feel when they hear Monroe, Stanley, Flatt and Scruggs, Martin, (Insert your new or old favorite.), there will be people playing and singing that style of music. They will play the music because of how it makes them feel. Old hippies find each other, old bluegrasser will too.

I have no problem with the IMBA. It is a trade organization designed to make money for vendors and people in show business. Nothing wrong with that line of work. It beats working in a coal mine for money. Nobody can control the music, they can only control the music business. If they are taking money from your bluegrass business, you might want to revise you business model.

Bluegrass is only a name. Let the money have the name. If they want it they will buy it anyway.

I don't think a man with the awards and money AJ has is concerned about winning an IBMA award. Compared to the awards he's already won, the IBMA are kind of an understatement. I'm not saying they are not important to the Bluegrass genre, but no one is going to give up a recording opportunity that will make far more money and acclaim to do a bluegrass album just for the money and awards. I love bluegrass and the musicians, but assuming someone from a successful career like AJ's is going to move there for the fame and awards is pretty short sighted. There comes a point in some peoples lives when money and awards are no longer all that important. He does not need any more awards for fame and having an IBMA award is not that important outside of bluegrass music. Again, I'm not trying to diminish an award from IBMA, but if he earns one, then he should have one. If he does not, then he would not likely get one. I don't believe the awards are for sale to the highest bidder. Maybe some are jealous because they are afraid they or their friends cannot compete in the open with someone as talented as AJ. On the other hand, I know a lot of grassers who are very talented and capable of holding their own. Certainly my first choice for awards is not always those that win, but I don't cry about it. Are there politics involved? Certainly. However, I don't think AJ is in the middle of the bluegrass political elite.
    Have a Great Day!
    Joe Vest

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Big Joe For This Useful Post:

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Lots of sour pusses in here. As the gentleman in "Oh Brother" said after he was baptised, "Come on in boys, the water's fine!'

The more the merrier in my book.

15. The following members say thank you to bjewell for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
    Lots of sour pusses in here. As the gentleman in "Oh Brother" said after he was baptised, "Come on in boys, the water's fine!'

The more the merrier in my book.
    I think there's a general misunderstanding of the OP's intent.

For the record my reaction was to the David Lee Roth "The View" Bluegrass video...I don't watch network TV and had never seen it; and it was pretty ugh! to me.

If I'm reading f5loar's intent, I think (and I stand to be corrected) he was comparing what he sees as an outcome of this with a scenario for example of Ben Affleck doing a R&R record, and it winning a Grammy. We all know that Mr. Affleck is not a "dedicated" musician, so in that scenario, an award of that type would be a slap in the face of the other hard working rock n rollers doin it 365 days a year, and his award could be argued was largely a result of his power/prestige that would allow him to hire the best songwriters, best session guys(you know kind of what NBC did with The Monkees).
    And no, I am not comparing Alan Jackson with The Monkees!

I believe the OP was drawing on a similar type parallel (power/prestige) to Alan Jackson. I've got no personal beef or steak in what anybody does...I just find the whole David Lee Roth thing blatently distasteful, and if that's what the "industry" of bluegrass music is becoming, then well...

But no sour puss here bjewell...to each his own...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

I imagine Alan is doing a bluegrass album because he heard from the pros that there are tens and tens of dollars to be made...

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timmando For This Useful Post:

Martinsville, Indiana formerly of Brown County

Well I will likely be proven wrong on one or two of these BUT many folks that were are or were in today's rock and country have bluegrass roots.....Vince Gill, Emmy Lou Harris, Patty Loveless, Travis Tritt, Steve Wariner, John Hartford, Glen Campbell, Gene Johnson and so on and so on......I'll bet this group on the Café could come up with a blue million folks ......point is that bluegrass for many is one start into the world of music......no damn money in it except for perhaps the very very few but it is a starting place.

So what if Alan Jackson does some bluegrass....it doesn't get my panties in a bunch....you can buy it....listen to it or choose not to. I'll bet that Jackson is doing a more traditional bluegrass than the Punch Brothers....

Hey it's all good......the more the merrier and it will only strengthen bluegrass in the long run.....and likely improve the options for the mandolin world.....

ps The Whites....Skaggs had his country pinnacle as did Keith Whitley....and Dolly....and Linda Ronstadt......and Dan Fogleburg....
    Last edited by Gary Hedrick; Oct-02-2013 at 3:27pm.

20. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

As I stated earlier, I think there's a general misunderstanding of the OP's intent.

The point here to be debated I thought was whether or not the "advantage" that someone like Alan Jackson has inherently by virtue of his power/prestige should be rewarded with an artistic award. Put that band and whatever songwriters behind Joe Blow from Chatanoogie and I believe folks would cry that he's only under consideration for the award due to who's backing him.

Example: Chris Cross won 5 Grammys in 1979 and record of the year for "Ride Like The Wind", which featured a prominent background/bridge vocal by Michael McDonald. Everybody knows that at that time everything Michael McDonald touched turned to gold.
    That vocal, it could be argued, was what helped get Chris Cross airplay as an unknown. His producer at Warner Bros. was responsible for getting Michael McDonald to sing on the track. So it could be argued that the advantage of having Michael McDonald's vocals got him the airplay that dozens of other really talented artists trying to break through, never got. I want to emphasize, I'm not begrudging Chris Cross anything he's accomplished. I'm just sayin, by the saavy of his producer, he did have an advantage as an unknown that got him airplay.

I don't believe that the OP was taking issue with Mr. Jackson's right to make any kind of record in any genre that he wants to; just whether or not, given the circumstances, it should be rewarded artistically.

And that at the end of the day is a matter of opinion, nothing more, nothing less!

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi

Not to beat the horse, but check out the personnel on Chris Cross's debut album produced by Michael Omartian.

Again, smart recruiting by his producer Michael Omartian.

Personnel
    Larry Carlton - guitar
    Valerie Carter - vocals, background vocals
    Lenny Castro - percussion
    Christopher Cross - guitar, vocals
    Assa Drori - concert master
    Victor Feldman - percussion
    Chuck Findley - trumpet

Jay Graydon - guitar
    Don Henley - vocals, background vocals
    Jim Horn - saxophone
    Eric Johnson - guitar
    Jackie Kelso - saxophone
    Nicolette Larson - vocals, background vocals
    Myrna Matthews - vocals, background vocals
    Marty McCall - vocals
    Lew McCreary - trombone
    Michael McDonald - vocals, background vocals
    Rob Meurer - Synthesizer, keyboards
    Michael Omartian - synthesizer, keyboards, vocals, background vocals
    Stormie Omartian - vocals, background vocals
    Tomás Ramírez - saxophone
    Don Roberts - saxophone
    Andy Salmon - bass
    J.D. Souther - vocals, background vocals
    Tommy Taylor - drums

And Chris is a talented guy, as evidenced by his rockin guitar break at the end of Ride Like The Wind.

23. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

If there is something which spurs on some interest in this genre, we should not be irritated by this. Face it, there are a lot of pickers out there who's first exposure to BG was "Bonnie and Clyde" the next generation saw "Deliverance" last one was "Oh, brother".
    So, why pillory AJ for his paragraph of the page of trying to popularize this form of music? This will pass like a kidney stone for some but, rolls off me like water off Bill's Stetson.
    The cocktail hour is upon some of us now, see you tomorrow!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Heck I know that Darryl Wolfe played all sorts of rock tinged Bluegrass in past years as I bet Tom did.....

Heck my brother and I even played Beatles songs in the mid 60's....cross over....cross back....go here....go there....venture here and venture there.....

Stay with Rank Stranger as your base and things do get a bit mundane.....

26. The following members say thank you to Gary Hedrick for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    As I stated earlier, I think there's a general misunderstanding of the OP's intent.

The point here to be debated I thought was whether or not the "advantage" that someone like Alan Jackson has inherently by virtue of his power/prestige should be rewarded with an artistic award. Put that band and whatever songwriters behind Joe Blow from Chatanoogie and I believe folks would cry that he's only under consideration for the award due to who's backing him...
    Again for the umpteenth time, it's not (I believe) whether or not Alan Jackson makes a bluegrass record that the OP was putting for consideration. It was the merits of bestowing on someone like him an artistic award when the playing field is rigged...

Everybody keeps going on and on about the merits of him playing Bluegrass. I could care less what he plays...but do you believe that the power of prestige and money should garner consideration for an award?

Cause if you do, consider your reaction if Joe Blow from Chatanoogie had the same talent pool behind him. How many of us would decry his accomplishment because of the sentiment: "Well look at who was backin him up, and the stable of songwriters behind him".

That's the point I'm interested in discussing; I could really care less if Alan Jackson put out a Bluegrass record than if he put out a 1940's Big Band jazz record or sang Tibetan Monestary songs!

Well now that you have been that forceful.....and apparently irritated

Hell no he shouldn't be able to "buy" an award....use his mojo to do it......BUT get serious ...as Big Joe said....do you really think he could give a poop about winning an IBMA award????

BUT if he plays the music well......folks like it....then give him an award based upon his performance....

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post

Hell no he shouldn't be able to "buy" an award....use his mojo to do it......BUT get serious ...as Big Joe said....do you really think he could give a poop about winning an IBMA award????

BUT if he plays the music well......folks like it....then give him an award based upon his performance....
    Gary,

Not irritated, just trying to stay on point with this.

I'm not concerned with discussing his motives, just the outcome, and if he gets the award, then it should be OK for Joe Blow from Chatanoogie who hasn't paid one dime of Bluegrass dues to garner the same award if he has the same resources behind him?

I'm OK with that, but I suspect a lot of us are predjudiced one way & not the other! (Yeah give it to Alan, but this Joe Blow blow guy, he just bought the award with connections, etc.)

I wonder if Alan Jackson did a Bluegrass record with unknown but hot pickers from around the USA, how it would be received?

I honestly have no clue...just food for thought!

Late!

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hedrick View Post

I did a quick check and he has 31 major awards already from the AMA, ACM and CMA plus two Grammys so I don't think he is likely to be in it for the trophies. But either way, I'll judge his efforts the same way I judge any other (and sure, I'll complain if he wins awards for a lame effort).

I've got my fingers crossed that its some pretty awesome stuff though (I haven't heard any of it yet). I'm not counting on it being any good... but I'm hoping.
    My GFs: Collings MF, Mandobird VIII, Mando-Strat, soprano & baritone ukuleles tuned to GDAE and a Martin X1-DE Guitar.

31. The following members say thank you to padawan for this post:

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Heard that "John Lennon Plays and Sings Blugrass" will be coming out very early next April. If what I've read about the band is true, he's gonna be backed up by some real heavyweights...

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DataNick View Post
    The point here to be debated I thought was whether or not the "advantage" that someone like Alan Jackson has inherently by virtue of his power/prestige should be rewarded with an artistic award.
    Like I said, I got $5 says it won't happen.
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

34. The following members say thank you to mandopete for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bjewell View Post
    Heard that "John Lennon Plays and Sings Blugrass" will be coming out very early next April. If what I've read about the band is true, he's gonna be backed up by some real heavyweights...

That Ringo sure keeps a good bottom end!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bb-fun-beatleband1.gif 
Views:	146 
Size:	120.5 KB 
ID:	107590

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    The News broke today: Alan Jackson's new Bluegrass band to open MerleFest this year. Next will come RedFox, Bean Blossom, Summersville, WVA, Rosine, Denton.
    So for those you who said it was a one off at the Station Inn , I knew better. He has recorded an all Bluegrass CD. He is now touring with a Bluegrass Band. Next comes the wins in guitar,singer,band, and the big entertainer of the year 2014 at IBMA in Raleigh next Sept. He's got almost a full year to make it known he is in it to win it. Steve Martin did it last year, now it's Jackson's turn. Has anyone forgotten Bruce Hornesby big Grammy Bluegrass win? Anybody but those that make a living at Bluegrass music.
    I bet the next announcement for MerleFest is for Janie Frickie's new bluegrass tour to be included. Then will come senior Gibb brother Barry out on his "BeeGees do Monroe" tour. Skaggs has already got that one started.
    You're completely wrong about one part of your statement. He won't have to go after the IBMA awards, they are already creaming to give them to him. He don't have to do any touring, he'll get them anyhow... According to some of the pickers in this "band", only a few dates have been booked, in clueing Letterman. I just don't see him playing many festivals, because they can't afford him, and at his lowest price they can't afford him, plus he wouldn't make nearly as much as his Country gigs.