Thread: Banjolin Troubles

Default Banjolin Troubles

I recently purchased a banjolin at an estate sale. It is very heavy and looks to be fairly old. The problem I have is that when I started putting strings on I realized the string pegs that there was only 4 places to secure the strings. Could this have been changed in time or is there something I don't know about stringing it. The cover matches the instrument perfectly. ??????? Help! Also, anyone know who might have made this instrument? Thanks for any help!!!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0310.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	107436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.jpg 
Views:	148 
Size:	142.6 KB 
ID:	107437  

Confused... or?
    Over the Hudson & thru the woods from NYC

Default Re: Banjolin Troubles

A lot of the old European bowlbacks have only 4 string posts, or hooks. You just put BOTH of each pair around the same post!

While admiring the machinework, I noticed that the E strings seem to be pulling the tailpiece out of alignment. Just a guess, but it might be best to get all strings on with just mild tension and then get the TP cover screwed back in place before bringing them up to tune. But I'm no expert on banjoes!
    - Ed

"Then one day we weren't as young as before
    Our mistakes weren't quite so easy to undo
    But by all those roads, my friend, we've travelled down
    I'm a better man for just the knowin' of you."
    - Ian Tyson

Yes just hook both matching strings to the same post and you will be okay.

Thanks guys. Got it strung, but the head might be a little too old to withstand the strings. I tightened it some. Not sure how much more to go. I so wanted to play this little guy, but not tonight.

The skin does not look too bad. and I would not worry too much about the tension... skins are avaliable at about $12 or a bit more. Calf or goat are commonly available. I find it kind of fun to install a new head... Instructions on internet and sometimes supplied by seller with the skin.A spare skin is not a bad idea although they are surprisingly durable.

That is an interesting looking instrument.
    Bart McNeil

Looks like the bracket bolt holding the treble side of your tailpiece is missing…? That would cause it to slip out of alignment.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Looks like the bracket bolt holding the treble side of your tailpiece is missing…? That would cause it to slip out of alignment.
    I'm hoping the OP just removed the bolt so the cover could be swung out of the way to take the photo of the 4-post tailpiece. That cover looks like it has to be bolted directly to the lower portion of the bracket (using the same bolt) before actually stringing it up. I'm guessing the strings have to be fished through the rear of the tailpiece and onto the posts? Weird.

I'd be tempted to make a custom tailpiece bracket out of plate with eight separate posts. It is hidden anyway, once that cover is in place.