Thread: Nic Jones TV programme BBC4

Default Nic Jones TV programme BBC4

Really enjoyed this hour programme about Nic and his return to performing.
    No mandolin, but Nic is a towering figure in British folk music. Some wonderful guitar playing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...ost_Folk_Hero/
    David A. Gordon

Default Re: Nic Jones TV programme BBC4

Dagger, I heartily endorse your endorsement for this wonderful programme. Nic Jones has a touch of genius in my view with a very simple-seeming style which is extremely hard to emulate.

The programme is also a very heart-warming testament to his survival and recovery from a devastating car crash and his re-emergence as a performer after 30 years, to his family, his friends in UK folk music circles, and (indirectly) the the NHS which pieced him back together.

I did not realise Bob Dylan had 'borrowed' his arrangement of Candee-i-o nor that so many contemporary singers are inspired by him. Hopefully we will see the long-delayed 'complete Nic Jones' boxed set of recordings some time soon?

Kevin
    Anglocelt
    mainly Irish & Scottish but open to all dance-oriented melodic music.
    Mandos: Gibson A2, Janish A5, Krishot F5, Taran Springwell, Shippey, Weber Elite A5; TM and OM by Dave Gregory, J E Dallas, Tobin & Davidson.

I wish there was a way for us outside of Britain to watch this...

Apparently there is a way of disguising your computer's IP address so that the BBC thinks it is based in the UK, but it would take somebody more computer savvy than me to explain how it works. Here's an article http://www.anonymous-proxies.org/200...g-bbc-via.html

I can still remember going into the Import section of Brigss & Briggs music in Harvard Square one day. I had heard a Nic Jones track on a radio show and came home with a copy of Penguin Eggs not knowing what to expect. I was and remain blown away.

I am overjoyed that Nic is making music again.
    Steve

Nic does not play guitar on stage any more. I think his left hand is still pretty good but he can't do the right hand so well.

However (and this is really pretty extraordinary) his son Joe - who was only five at the time of the accident - has learnt to play guitar much in the way of his father and does the guitar accompaniments on Nic's old guitar which was restored by Roger Bucknall of Fylde Guitars and changed to being a left-hander to suit Joe. Belinda O'Hooley also adds some nice piano and accordion. They perform as the Nic Jones Trio.

There are a few Youtubes from this summer's festivals which give you an idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcaXLTw7OJE
    David A. Gordon

I have to say I found that program immensely enjoyable as well... got me wondering if some funky detuning of (octave) mandolin might work....

I was lucky enough to see the Nic Jones Trio at Sidmouth this year and also to get to talk to him afterwards. It was a huge thrill for me because I had loved his early albums so much and had never expected him to perform again. Here are some clips I recorded - http://youtu.be/DFuaERs4GxA
    A lovely, humble man with a truly original guitar style which is now much imitated. It was interesting to hear from his guitar maker that part of his distinctive style was produced by tuning the guitar so low.
    In actual fact, the BBC TV program did include a tiny bit of mandolin, with the poet, John Hegley, struggling to play Annachie Gordon on one.
    jacky

I too enjoyed seeing Nic back on stage but, with respect, those of you who think Nic originated that style would do well to compare it to Martin Carthy's. I also find that once you start playing in DADGAD or similar modal tunings, everything starts to sound quite unoriginal. Some players really struggle to go back to normal tuning and playing in other keys without a capo is very awkward to say the least. Horses for courses I suppose.

Funny you should return to this thread tonight as I have just been playing with my middle son Donald in open G - a tuning he was not familiar with - on an old Fylde guitar we have.

Back in the seventies and eighties a lot of UK folkie guitarists - undeniably influenced by Martin Carthy - did lots of songs in various tunings, not just DADGAD - and it sounded great.

I like playing in different tunings. Songs in particular can sound very effective in them. And as regards a capo, players like Tim Edey and Jim Murray have perfected ways of moving them around to suit - sometimes in the same tune.

And the guitar itself can sound quite different if you put it into a different tuning.

Horses for courses indeed.
    David A. Gordon

I've literally only just discovered Nic, after a Kate Rusby recommendation, I can't believe I've missed out on this incredible music for all my life!

Thanks for the link!

Quote Originally Posted by jacky View Post
    In actual fact, the BBC TV program did include a tiny bit of mandolin, with the poet, John Hegley, struggling to play Annachie Gordon on one.
    I've only just managed to catch up with this programme -- I'd recorded it when it was shown on BBC4. Very nicely done, and more exposure for Nic's music is always welcome. It was noticeable that they only ever played clips from Penguin Eggs and not from Nic's "lost" albums which remain in the clutches of Dave Bulmer's Celtic Music label. Bulmer notoriously refused to re-release any of these albums thereby cutting off Nic and his family from the royalties for his back catalogue sales. It seems that the BBC also either couldn't get permission to use these recordings or didn't want to give money to CM considering the rancour involved.

By coincidence, I have only just read that Dave Bulmer died in August this year. I wonder what will happen to these albums now, and to the vast number of other albums from the labels he bought up.

Regarding the mandolin contents of the BBC4 programme, I found John Hegley's attempts to play the mandolin peculiar, not only because he plainly can't play the instrument but also because the mandolin he was playing was a rather exotic archtop mandolinetto, very similar to a 1950s German one I own (sadly in unplayable condition). Nice instrument, but hardly a mainstream one. I feel there's a story there somewhere.

Martin