Thread: mandolute!

Default mandolute!

This just arrived courtesy of Jake Wildwood. I've bugged some of you with Weymann questions before, and I finally managed to get one, thanks to a fortunate and mutually beneficial trade. Definitely not a bluegrass machine, but I'm learning my way around it. Sounds great with a light pick and a heavy hand.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Photo on 2013-06-22 at 19.24.jpg 
Views:	209 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	103693

Default Re: mandolute!

Oh, and:

Where in the world do I find a case for this thing?

I have one in my shop right now and will play with a couple different cases and see what works for it. I think a bowlback case will work, but let me see about that. They are pleasant to hold, nicely constructed, and have a cool vibe.

Thanks! Agreed on all of those virtues. (Nice tone too!) It's pushing 100, and while I'm proud to have it out for display, I'm a little worried about temperature and humidity fluctuation in my old, brick, not air-conditioned house. I'll have to figure out how to do it on the cheap if I can, since I traded for this telling my spouse it was going to cost me no money, given that Jake had already souped it up.

Your work is impressive, by the way. I just visited your website. Mistake. Just when MAS was temporarily satiated....

Heh, thanks for the kind words.
    I just put it in a TKL 8851 A style case, fits like a glove. So it should fit just fine in most A-style cases as well. Not bowlback cases, though, it's wider than I remembered it being.
    I wouldn't worry about doing anything too special for this instrument. First step is just to get a temperature an humidity gauge. If your house stays between 30 and 55 % RH and doesn't change suddenly, I think you will have no problems with it. I keep my shop at 45% RH and between 60 and 80 degrees, but once completed, most instruments take minor swings in RH pretty well. I wouldn't sweat it. Play some grooves into those frets.

Thanks. Will do! I now have to resist the urge to stockpile these.

Blog Entries

mandolute! How interesting. Not being to see it, I must assume from the name that it is a mix between a mandolin and a lute?
    Always something new to learn on this forum!

Happy playing

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

No, it's a regular, though unusual-ish in form, mandolin once made by Weymann of Philadelphia. Several threads about them on the cafe, with contributions by folks more knowledgable than I.

There is a kind of fretted oud (I think?) also called a mandolute that they play in Southern France and North Africa.

Weymann: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bJAub4sn5A

North African: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shpS5A57O1A

Hi. I have inherited a Weymann Mandolute and would like to learn about it. Appears to be vintage. Has a serial number on the top 15081. I've googled around and read about it some. Then found this forum. Does anyone have some knowledge about this instrument. I have some pictures of it. Seems to be in good condition. Thanks for any advice and information.