Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: My New Project!

  1. #1
    Wood and Wire Perry Babasin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Roseville, California, United States
    Posts
    815

    Default My New Project!

    Well, after the success of the MK project seen in my avatar, I've been looking around to see what to do next. I have a Saga A kit to build and finish but then this came up...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!rYFIRNL+)!ZBSHUg9dKP!~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	229.8 KB 
ID:	106909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!oMFILF)TiwqBSHUgdZ-v!~~60_57.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	242.7 KB 
ID:	106910

    I'll get around to building something soon, but I couldn't pass this up. The Loar LM-600, probably not VS although I'm thinking about a subtle burst that will show wood grain. I like an elegant black face (with beautiful wood back and sides) but I love to see the wood grain. Some of these modern "vintage" bursts are just a little too dark for my taste. In the process of stripping the front and back I noticed that there is indeed a subtle recurve that was kind of filled in with finish, like it dried laying down horizontal. I am making it a bit more pronounced and crisping up the scroll as well, and while I was at it I scooped the extension. I hope that the voice is improved as much as the MK "O".

    The MK finish was bullit proof, but this stuff is coming off much easier. A little carefully and strategically placed acetone, softens the finish enough to scrape and then sand off pretty quickly without harming the binding. The back is not as highly flamed as the MK, but it is actually more than you are seeing here, and finished right I think it will be very beautiful. The top pictures show what I bought, no case or hardware. I'll keep you posted...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0001.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	107.3 KB 
ID:	106911Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	73.9 KB 
ID:	106912Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	106913Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	106914Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0008.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	106915
    Last edited by Perry Babasin; Sep-17-2013 at 1:35pm.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

  2. The following members say thank you to Perry Babasin for this post:


  3. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Albany NY
    Posts
    665

    Default Re: My New Project!

    love the blonde look and what you are able to do with some of these "outcasts"

    btw if you ever come across a usable neck for an MK octave let me know - mine is snapped
    an overambitous project for the likes of me, but maybe I'll learn something in the process.

  4. The following members say thank you to tmsweeney for this post:


  5. #3
    Wood and Wire Perry Babasin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Roseville, California, United States
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: My New Project!

    OK... back with a little update. The front wood was very splotchy and took the dye badly. The rest of the wood was very beautiful however so I decided to emulate the Weber that I saw and fell in love with...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0003.jpg 
Views:	145 
Size:	128.7 KB 
ID:	108997Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	176.7 KB 
ID:	108998Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0006.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	120.2 KB 
ID:	108999Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	109000Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	141 
Size:	89.2 KB 
ID:	109001

    A few strange things, I messed up the binding a little bit in one spot and portions of the scroll side wood looks like Dr. Frankenstein's mandolin with pieced together blocks, not covered by the veneer of side wood. They also used some kind of black epoxy putty knowing it was going to be a dark sunburst (also, hence the blackface). I think they sprayed a little spot yellow-orange on the front and back and a few strategic spots on the side and sprayed the rest black. I used black aniline dye and sprayed a light coat of wax free shellac sanding sealer, and I'm going to finish it with tru-oil. The flame is very lively in person the back is subtle but crazy and I love that color! --Cheers!
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

  6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perry Babasin For This Useful Post:


  7. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles Ca
    Posts
    244

    Default Re: My New Project!

    Thanks for the information I'm going to do my The Loar VS 600 someday but I don't know what finish I'll be using

    I really like the look of yours.....Good Job......so you just used acetone, putty knife and sand paper.....how long did the acetone soak on the finish......PS I'm going to pick your brain if that's OK....I'm very excited

  8. #5
    Wood and Wire Perry Babasin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Roseville, California, United States
    Posts
    815

    Default Re: My New Project!

    Thanks, this mandolin has actually gone through a lot of changes...
    http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...to-a-blackface
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •