Thread: Memory booster

I know I always see articles talking about how music can help with other studies in school. Well I'm 39, not in school, and have been playing almost a year. Stress is down when I play and my memory is definitely better. I would have no problems remembering at all if it wasn't for the constant music theory running through my head. I even dream about theory now. Just an observation. John
    My avatar is of my OldWave Oval A

Creativity is just doing something wierd and finding out others like it.

I used to try to memorize them, and to some regard still do. It was much easier when I was first starting and only had a dozen or two tunes under my belt. Now I play so many tunes, in so many different places that I'm lucky to remember what key they are in. I usually keep a folder with the most popular music with me. I only shape read the music real quickly to see the key, the lead-in, bridges and endings. With all the different groups I play with , and all the new tunes I'm studying, it usually adds up to 60 or 70 songs at any given time. If I have to do a solo, then I memorize it all the way, but thats not to say I will remember it a year from now.

Someone once told me that giving up the beer might help the memory, but that just seems so wrong. Music and beer goes hand in hand, it doesn't seem right to have one without the other. #

mike

i know that since i have grown older, (still quite young at 35) music has been more of a therapy than anything else. no matter how stressful life becomes, there is something so soothing about picking up an instrument and just hearing the beautiful sounds. there is no way to play music AND keep all those stressful thought in your head at the same time.
    for many years, i was obsessed with learning to master the instrument, theory, speed, all that, (i.e. superpicker syndrome) but i really started enjoying the mandolin (and music) more when i just decided to settle down and have fun.
    anything that keeps your mind and creativity growing will benefit you.

Man, some of the threads that pop are right on key. this one especially. I was thinking of posting something like this.

I have found that since I have been playing more, my memory has gotten an aweful lot better. I am a Preacher and studying for sermons can get tedious. But I've found that since I've been playing more, my mind retains a lot more information. I'm assuming from the music and creativity of playing around on the guitar and mando.

But I have to say that I do have a problem with memorizing the songs as far as chord progression goes. I am still using a ring binder with the songs to play with. Another small problem that I have is music theory in general. I think I need someone to sit down with me and explain it in front of me rather than me reading.

Any ideas on this? Kind of a paradox aint it?

I don't try to memorize songs. I am just learning to read double stops and chords. That is more then enough. I was actually told, that at my level of learning, to read the music while playing to help reenforce every thing. I believe it has helped. Here is a thread I started in the classical section that evolved into to a circle of fifths discussion. I learned a lot but still have a long way to go. This thread started out about Bach but evolved by the mid point of the first page into suggestions for theory learning then a lot of Q & A. Hope it helps. John
    Moment of revelation #

After years of advice and opinion on what memory technique will take me to the next level I always return to just playn' with a bunch of friends. I retain the most, learn the most and best of all we smile alot. The banjo cranks up and 3 chords into it we're all alot less stressed.

Frankmc

Thanks fellas.

I'm finding that as I grow on the Mando I feel more comfortable without sheet music in front of me. Rather than with a guitar I most usually have to have the notation there somewhere or I feel lost. Its a funny feeling. I wish that I would just give it up and not worry about missing a note here and there.

I've been playing since the end of December and already have I'll Fly Away, Amazing Grace, some of Ashokan Farewell and Lorena from the Osborne Bros., Camptown Races and my sons favorite the ABC Song down without having to look at anything. Thats a big step for me.

I tell my wife that this is a Sign from Above that the Mando is my instrument.

John your right, stress definately goes down when I play.

I find that the songs that I teach myself to play are easier to remember than the ones that I learn from tablature or sheet music. Even songs that I haven't played in weeks or even months come back to me quickly if I figured it out for myself originally.
    Just might get some sleep tonight

http://www.geocities.com/tenn_jed_1999/

I have been playing and teaching myself to play since I bought my first mando last April. I have memorized how to play Devils Dream, Liberty, Fairy Dance, Maple Sugar, Little Rabbit, Silver Bell, The Banshee, Callope House, and a few others. Yes, I'm boasting. Big Time. Not bad for and old gal of... drum roll please... 40. Apparently, there was a study done on stress and musicians/artists in which it has been discovered that the practicing of musical instruments and/or painting,etc. releases endorphins - chemicals which calm the brain. I have unforunately suffered from bouts of depression during some of my life and I can say from experience that playing my mando is sure a heck cheaper and healthier in the long run than popping "happy pills." I have suggested to my doctor to prescribe mando (or other instruments - no banjos, please.) playing to his other patients. He could start a new trend - The Mando Depression Cure.
    You are only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Mando isn't my only stress relief. Good workouts at the gym with a few fights thrown in, all in a controlled environment helps a lot also. If you exercise you'll feel better also. Then after the workout the mando is a great cool down / wind down before bed. You don't have to be twenty to exercise a bit, heck I run the twenty tear olds in the ground and I'm a bit round in the belly. I'll get off my soap box now, sorry. John

Ain't no better cure for what ails you than some sort of risk-taking behavior. I used to do a bit of rock climbing back when the body was more easily able to repair itself, and it is wonderful for giving you a perspective. When you put yourself in harm's way, knowing it's your skill and strength that stand between you and eternity, it makes mundane problems fade into insignificance.

But it sure trashed my hands. Had to give up mandolin and guitar for the duration. But now I retain the proper perspective - once learned, never forgotten - and I play all the time.