Thread: Celtic Colours?

Default Celtic Colours?

Anybody planning on going this year? My wife and I are planning a trip that way. Been twice before, but it's been 10 years. I feel a renewed interest in fiddle music, now that I've been able to learn tunes by ear on the mandolin. Just looking forward to some time away and Cape Breton is such a lovely place.

Default Re: Celtic Colours?

Going where? When? Why?

Going here.

http://www.celtic-colours.com/

One of these years, I'd love to attend, but sadly this isn't the year. The leader of our local Scottish/Irish/Cape Breton session goes every year.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Going where? When? Why?
    Sorry. Guess I wasn't specific enough. I was talking about the Celtic Colours International Festival, a week long Celtic music festival held in Cape Breton, a large island off the coast of Nova Scotia. One of the last places where Gaelic is spoken as a first language, although the practice is waning even there. The musical traditions are strong, though, and there are a lot of great musicians who come from there, especially fiddlers. It's timed to correspond with the turning of the leaves, thus the "Colours" reference. The scenery is truly spectacular and the venues are spread out over nearly the entire island. There's a lot of driving, but it's a remarkable place.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

The idea of Cape Breton gaelic is a surprise for me - i knew about the music but not that they still spoke Gaelic there, so, i did some investigation - to soothe the curiosity you understand.

Interesting. Apart from some pronunciations it was easy to follow. The use of the word Gaelic in place of Gaeilge kinda threw me a bit... Seems to be a fair mixture of the 3 Irish dialects and Scottish Gaeilc in the pronunciations - I find it difficukt to follow pure Scottish Gaelic and sometimes struggle with Tir Chonaill dialect pronunciations - even their English pronunciations confuse me...
    Thanks for posting this. It is very encouraging to see Gaelic being kept alive - it's faring less better in Ireland and Scotland - a bit of a backlash to when it was compulsory in Schools - Most of my subjects up to High-School (Leaving Cert.) were taught in Irish - Math, Physics, Chemistry etc. I still have difficulty translating Math, Trig, and Physics terminology to Irish in my head so I can relate to what I learned in Irish. Even if I worked and lived in Ireland it would be just as useless - a waste of time. All it created was a revulsion of the language. I am the only one in my entire extended family that speaks Gaeilge, my daughter started learning it last week so at least I'll have someone to talk to...

...and looking at the Celtic Colors website I see that what I thught was Gaelic is in fact spelt Gàidhlig -very like the old spelling of Gaedhilge...