Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pick preference, tips and tricks

Default Re: Pick preference, tips and tricks

Quote Originally Posted by JRcohan View Post
    Thanks for the prompt replies everyone! I am going to have to give a Blue Chip a try. I am partial to the the triangular shape...
    it's between a TAD-50 3R, or a CT55 for me?

Anyone have any input on differences or preferences between these two similar picks. I am only buying one for now since they are not the cheapest picks.

Thanks
    The differences are: 3R = all rounded points, CT has sharper points. Along with being the slightly thicker pick, the CT55 also has a more pronounced bevel that the regular BC speed bevels. So it boils down to point preference, thickness and bevel. FWIW the CT55 is my go to as I prefer a pointier pick and really like the tone from it.

2. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Always Improving Cecily_Mandoliner's Avatar

Smile Re: Pick preference, tips and tricks

After one full year of playing the mandolin (Yay! ), I have found some picks I really enjoy using. My teacher gave me a Wegen (don't know anything about it other than it has beveled edges and equal sides). I'm not used to it, yet. But, I found a Pro Plec and a Golden Gate, and I like them both! they stay put and sound very nice.
    I also purchased a pick labeled as "tortisshell," and that has a nice ring like nothing else.
    It sure is fun trying new things.
    Weber Bitterroot F-Style Buckskin (2011)
    J Bovier A5-T
    Kentucky KM272 Vintage
    Trinity College Mandolin, Octave Mandolin, and Mandola
    Luna Guitars Passionflower Acoustic-Electric
    Taylor GSmini Guitar
    Ibanez Mini-dreadnought Tenor Guitar
    Gold Tone Cripple Creek Irish Tenor Banjo
    Klos Mandolin (on order)

I have a BC TAD50-1R and really like it for the mandolin. I go back and forth with edge preference, some days I like the rounded corner and other times the pointy one. It is pricey but I'd say worth it, I'm not gonna have a bag of them but I'll probably get a few more before I leave this planet.

That said, I absolutely do not like the BC on the guitar, isn't that funny how much difference it makes. For the guitar I use whatever pick doesn't produce pick noise, right now I'm using a Tortex yellow one and I have a few green ones around here somewhere.

I have used the stubbies and really like them too.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Has anyone tried the Chris Thile blue chip pick?

I've spent the better part of the last year testing a variety of picks, except the Blue Chip. I just haven't got around to ordering one yet. I've tried all the usual suspects mentioned in this thread (V-Picks, Gravity, Wegen, Red Bear, Tusq, D'Andrea), and a few others, and have been very impressed with the John Pearse Studio Flatpicks, which I think were originally recommended by Uwe Kruger (The Kruger Brothers). The same shape is available as their Fast Turtle pick in a different material. I like the asymmetrical shape a lot for both guitar and mandolin.

http://www.jpstrings.com/brpicks.htm

However, my old standby 3 corner 1mm Dunlop Ultex is still in regular use on mandolin. Mine have holes drilled in them (I used a Wegen as a template) to help with grip as I used to have nerve issues with my right hand.

The wild card in all this has been an unlikely one for me and one that may well lead me to the Blue Chip, the Dunlop Americana, the rounder/smaller/thinner one of the 2 that appear to be available. I tried the other Americana and disliked it.

All this has made me pay a lot more attention to my right hand technique.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcginnis View Post
    Has anyone tried the Chris Thile blue chip pick?
    If you mean the CT55, there are post loads about it, just search.

And 3 posts above your question in this very thread mentions it...

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

9. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

Back at ya, Niles...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-pick-joke_sm.jpg 
Views:	203 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	107042  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1