Thread: picking 9/8 pieces

Default picking 9/8 pieces

Just curious if there is a recommended picking pattern for pieces in 9/8 time.

On Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring I have been alternating down/up but every other bar I start on the first beat with an up stroke.

Thanks, Troy

Default Re: picking 9/8 pieces

You could switch over to the typical jig-time pickstroke pattern of down-up-down, down-up-down. If it works for 3/4, it will work for 9/8.

General rule meant to be broken depending on what music you play or what phrasing you aspire to: in folk rhythms jig time dud-dud-dud; in classical, baroque, etc, dud-udu-dud. Try both but I would think that Jesu would sound too sing-songy with that jig rhythm. Those down strokes tend to put too much emphasis.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I agree with Jim. For me, pick direction is dictated by the phrases in the piece, which I try to determine and follow appropriately with the right hand. I try various ways until I find what seems to sound best.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

For Jesu you may do better with Duu duu.
    (but I'd tend to do it with all down strokes as it's so slow and that's my basic starting point on 'classical' until it's into demi-semiquavers).
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin