Thread: Fender Mando Strat - Upgrades?

Default Fender Mando Strat - Upgrades?

Hello Cafe Members,

Recently purchased a Mando Strat - and it sounds pretty nice through my electric setup (Katana -> Keeley DS1 -> Tweed Blues Jr.) but I think there are other things that can be done to improve not only sound but playability also. BTW, a martin backpacker mando gig bag fits a little snug, but does the trick quite well.

So do you own one? What upgrades have you performed? Has anyone found a pickup replacement (besides the moon gazer)? Thoughts on a possible bridge cover? Anybody sell TWO piece compensated saddles that fit nicely? How about coated electric strings....think they could hold the tension?

Any advice or info would be great - thanks.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Fender Mando Strat - Upgrades?

Mine came with the Ashtray over the compensated saddle and the OHSC. Ckeck with Stewart McDonald about the saddle. I don't really like coated strings but I can't imagine a coating makes any difference in string tension allowances. I buy single strings from Juststrings.com. A sheet metal shop might be able to make you a fitted cover for the saddle then you could have it plated...... I like the sound of mine the way it is so I have no intention of physically changing it. Maybe a stomp box or two.. we'll see.... Luck... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Have you considered a Compressor in your effects chain? I highly recommend a Wampler EGO Compressor, best one I've ever used!!
    Joe Barden makes a set of compensated Telecaster saddles, available through allparts, they might just do the trick.

RMC Bridge pieces and a Synthesizer access interface .. My Pentalin has just an 8 pin cable .
    it goes to a black box with a 13 pin Roland synth access output .. Steve Ryder did the mods..

and 5 pin MIDI output from the Roland pedal board . I have an old GR 30 , the current one is GR 55.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

4-saddle bridge from moongazermusic.com. Drop-in replacement, allows intonation adjustment for each string independently.

Yeah....the bridge is the majority of my concern. This bad boy really either needs a cover or a more fine tuning/intonation adjustment option. I think I will check out the one from Moongazer. Thanks!