Thread: Ibma

Default Ibma

I've never attended. We are thinking about going this year. Any feedback, good/bad? Anyone going?

Bob
    re simmers

Default Re: Ibma

Well they say moving to Raleigh is cheaper. I don't know the exact figures but with your 4 day ticket to all the event they offer is running at $390 for 4 days if you are a member. As much as 50% more if you are not. Add a 4 night min. requirement at the nearby hotels at $150/night plus car park another $20 per night is an additional cost so that's up to $680 and that's no meals.
    That comes to a little over $250 per day if you do it all. Now can you just go and not pay anything, hanging out in the hallways and a jamming from room to room without a ticket. That I don't know. You could in Nashville and Louisville. Certain areas are restricted to paid passes only.

We're planning to go for Friday and Saturday without buying tickets of any kind. The city of Raleigh will be sponsoring a street fest along Fayetteville Street with 3 or 4 music stages, street food, vendors, etc. In addition we'll be able to get into the IBMA exhibit tent to view/play instruments and look through vendor offerings. The street festival will offer music from noon to 11pm and features, among others, The Kruger Brothers, Balsom Range, The Steel Wheels, The Barefoot Movement, etc. This is in addition to whatever jamming groups we come upon. We'll be staying at our favorite hotel in Raleigh, the LaQuinta Airport for $69 per night. It's a 10-15 minute drive to the IBMA convention area and street festival...no big deal. Granted we'll not attend any official iBMA events, but we'll get lots of great music plus the general convention atmosphere for just a few bucks. Wouldn't miss it!

I'll be there Tuesday thru Saturday, If you make it drop be a line, it would be great to meet you and get a picture of the two Birdseye Buckeyes together.

I'll be playing in a band at the Fayetteville Street fest. Look for the Sons of the South at 6PM on Friday. And maybe another band later that night. Or lets just say I'll be picking all night long with someone somewhere at sometime.

I would like to make this one. The last one I got to was in 2008, in Nashville. I volunteered and got a free ticket. I was assigned to put on wrist bands at the musicians entrance. Most of who didn't want it put on! When Vince Gill rambled by (he's a pretty tall guy) he just smiled and put it in his pocket...I guess he wasn't worried about getting kicked out for not wearing it! The instrument room downstairs was fantastic. There was a small jam going on with Mike Compton, where he and a couple others were sitting on couches in the middle of the instrument room. I listened for awhile, then got my guitar out and played rhythm. He looked up at me and said "What took you so long?" It was a good jam. The whole event was great. Picking going on all over the hotel lobby, up the escalator to the second floor hallway, jamming all over the place. I was able to park my small rv by the service entrance of the hotel, out back where the deliveries are made. There was a parking lot there that charged $4 per day. No problems except someone tried to unchain my bicycle off the back of the rv...while I was in it! I peaked out my window and saw a guy there trying to steal it, it was chained vertically onto the ladder just outside my door. I grabbed my black 75 pound lab/border collie mix by the collar, quickly opened that door and let him lunge and growl at the thief. He ran like hail into the night! Other than that, no problems! Definitely get to the one in Raleigh, at least once, you won't be disappointed. Does anyone know if it is possible to day park (overnight) near the Red Hat amphitheater? How far is it from the amphitheater to the downtown area where the street festival will be...walking distance? Thanks for any info.

lets hook up. Whit

Quote Originally Posted by Timmando View Post
    How far is it from the amphitheater to the downtown area where the street festival will be...walking distance? Thanks for any info.
    The Red Hat Amphitheatre is downtown, one city block west of Fayetteville Street, where the street festival will take place. Almost all of the formal stuff linked to this convention is within walking distance. At least a couple of big public parking decks are near the amphitheatre, though I don't know the policy about overnight parking in those decks.

Timmando, I've signed up to be a volunteer for this event but haven't heard yet whether I'll have that role. If not, I still plan to spend as much time as the workplace (3-4 blocks away) will allow checking out the free concerts and other displays.

I would love to read comments from other performers or luthiers who plan to be here later this month. This potential fan/customer looks forward to seeing you at the big event.

For some information on the street festival and the entertainment not requiring tickets, type "wide open bluegrass street festival" in your search engine. You'll come up with a number of links that you can follow for whatever specific
    information you're looking for.

For those attending this event, look for a main bulletin board where postings are placed. Maybe someone who gets there first could post "MandoCafe Jam/Meet at so and so time, so and so place."