Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bach E Major Prelude fingering

Default Re: Bach E Major Prelude fingering

Why not do the picking like in Munier's methods. When moving from one string to the other you use Down strokes even if it means doing 3 down strokes consecutive. When you are on the same string you'll be going DUDU. When you have high value notes it's always down.
    I am not saying this is how it should be done, but just wondering. This is how I played the prelude and it sounded good even to my teacher (a viola PhD teacher and soloist).
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

2. The following members say thank you to Hany Hayek for this post:

Just to clarify, I did not play this prelude but the one from Bach Cello suite 1 and 2. I too come from the violin world and up and down seems more logical. Oud players do the same picking that I explained.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

mando-evangelist August Watters's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hany Hayek View Post
    Why not do the picking like in Munier's methods. . .I am not saying this is how it should be done, but just wondering. This is how I played the prelude and it sounded good even to my teacher (a viola PhD teacher and soloist).
    Good point -- there's more than one good way to approach this. If you go back another century to music composed for mandolin in the 18th century, you'll see lots of consecutive strokes in the same direction. I don't interpret these as exceptions to alternate picking, as much as temporary interruptions. At any rate, I think that considering different possibilities for pick direction (once you've mastered alternate picking) can help us to explore the possibilities. The 18th century methods of Leone and Gervasio are great for this.
    Exploring Classical Mandolin (Berklee Press, 2015)
    Progressive Melodies for Mandocello (KDP, 2019) (2nd ed. 2022)
    New Solos for Classical Mandolin (Hal Leonard Press, 2020)
    2021 guest artist, mandocello: Classical Mandolin Society of America

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to August Watters For This Useful Post:

Whoo-Hoo!! Thurs., Dec. 1st, 7:36 PM PST, made it through the entire piece, start-to-finish!!

7. The following members say thank you to billykatzz for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Just out of curiosity for anyone who plays this, in the part from measures 17 to 28, what picking pattern do you find works best? (I played this on violin at least 40 years ago, but have always been daunted by the prospect of picking such passages, which seemed so easy to bow at the time.) Thanks for any input!

bratsche
    I was in a class with Caterina Lichtenberg and asked her this very question. She uses DDUD. It helps to play the first 4 notes of bar 17 DUDU, then start the pattern on the 2nd beat. I really like it. Basically every third note is an upstroke and the rest are downs. The D string notes can be accented more this way as they are all downstrokes.

9. The following members say thank you to Chris W. for this post:

Yes!.... I like that, too! Why didn't I think of it? I've used very similar patterns in other string crossing passages, but just not this one. Tried it, and it's like a lightbulb came on. It's much more natural (for me) here than always DUDU. I appreciate the suggestion!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel