Thread: Jonatnan Mandolin

Default Jonatnan Mandolin

Any input on this guy? It's advertised as a Martin copy, style A. Hard case looks old - opens in the front.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Vint...-/251322870765

Jim

Default Re: Jonatnan Mandolin

I was watching that myself and was quite convinced that it is Lyon and Healey Style "G". Sometimes labeled "Washburn". I had one just like it once -it was a sweet little thing.

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Like, Barney, I had an eye on this for awhile, too, as the curious label caught my eye. Not a Martin 'copy' at all, but one of a rash of flat-back canted-top mandolins to come out of Chicago in the '20s. The nice ones, like the L+H G, were very nice and remain one of the best $/value mandos out there. Jonathan sold for ~$220. About a $100 more than it would have gone for 4-5 years ago. 100% inflation on a $100 mandolin is not necessarily a bad thing, but word is getting out on these... If this is a L+H G with a jobber label, someone got a nice mandolin for a nice deal.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Thanks for your words of wisdom. ya know, you see these mandos and you wonder if they'd be worth a try. I suspected a L&H because of the top and the tail piece but was put off by the label. Based on your info - another bit of history to be stored in my brain cells.
    (From where it will probably fall out in a day or so...)

Jim

I was also watching this one. I think you got a pretty good mandolin. The back and sides look like dark stained Rosewood, not mahogany. It is definitely looks like a Washburn/Lyon and Healy made instrument. Good buy.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616