Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Mandolin Set-up E-Book by Rob Meldrum

Default Re: Mandolin Set-up E-Book by Rob Meldrum

Rob, thank you for taking the time to put your thoughts together in the ebook! Great stuff!

Nice Book and very generous of you.

Thank you Rob Meldrum for the GREAT book on how to setup the mandolin. It is very useful and informative and GREATLY illustrated. YOU are to be commended for doing something so wonderful for the community.

Rob Meldrum,

First, thank you so much for the e-book!! I will be reading through all of it when I return from taking my grandson to the dentist! And second, I sent the request twice because I'm ridiculous and didn't realize which email address the request sent from! So, forgive the 2nd request!!

Jim1Hays

Rob,
    I have been using that e-book for the the last 6 months and it is FANTASTIC!!! It puts all the mandolin repairmen(pseudo) here in northern Colorado to shame. I used the recommendations and man has it changed this Washburn. It sounds as good as a Vintage Gibson of higher quality. Thank You!! I hope everyone will get this from you and actually might be nice to send a donation to him for all the hard work he has put into it. Just a thought!

Got mine today. Thanks Rob. This is a tremendous service to the mandolin community.

Thanks for ebook, Very insightful.

Thanks a Million Rob, very quick turn around on the request! Look forward to getting into it!

I wasn't sure where to ask this so i'll try here, I did a search and couldn't find this exact problem. I got one of those Cheap, Rogue mandolins to "play around with" and when i fret the e string, on the 3rd fret, i get a very nasty sounding note that my tuner says is G#. From what i can find online, that note is supposed to be G without the #. what can i do to fix this?

Thanks for the e-book Rob.

Will use the info to get my very first mandolin set up!

Joe

Hi Peachbear,

This is a very unusual situation. I have to verify several things. Have you followed the setup book and done a complete setup on this mandolin? If not, then there is no sense asking for advice. The strings that come on the Rogue are really poor quality Chinese-made imitations, so if you have not replaced them with quality (D'Addario and Martin strings are my favorites) strings they may be part of the problem.

If you have not cut the nut slots to the right height that can also impact intonation. Finally, getting the bridge height correct and then intonating the mandolin is critical before evaluating any issues.

Once you have done all of that, check the intonation of every string at every fret. It is incredibly unlikely that one string, or one string pair, would be sharp at one fret and all of the other strings would not be sharp as well on that fret.

Good luck!

Rob

Thanks Rob. Just ran this cheap Rogue mandolin through your set up instructions and it's truly night and day.

The only part which I thought was challenging was the nut. A professional luthier would probably have a good laugh at my job, but hey, it works for me. Intonation is perfect. Action is perfect. And it sounds great... no buzzing, everything rings clear everywhere.

Amazing really, considering the cost of this mandolin.

Thanks Rob. Very helpful.

Thank you Rob. the guide is super helpful. Chris Reily
    “Without music, life would be a mistake” Neitzsche

Collings MF5-V
    Kimble A5
    An electric rig with an envelope filter trying to sound like Jerry...

THANK YOU, ROB!!
    Thank you very much for your amazing e-book! I am really looking forward to work with my mandolin
    Martin Cechura

FranklintonBill

A huge thank you to Rob. What a great ebook, and tool to have!! I appreciate you Rob, as does the whole mandolin playing community.

Thank you Rob!!! Just got my copy today, you sir are a gentleman and a scoundrel...I mean scholar. LOL

Thanks Rob. Got the book and did a setup on my Mid-Mo. Nut and saddle adjustments made a world of difference.

19. The following members say thank you to rowka for this post:

Thanks Rob! Great E Book. Very thorough. Now if I could just learn how to actually play this dang mandolin!?!?!😐

Hello Rob, I’m just reading page 18, thought I’d say the $100 nut job was what got me doing setups on guitars over 30 years ago, we must have went to the same luthier. I was so disappointed in his work that I’ve never taken another instrument to anybody for anything. I have set up a lot of instruments since then for a lot of people but no mandolins. Your setup book well give me a foundation to work from, thank you for the ebook.

Thanks for the quick response Rob..Really an in-depth lesson..THANK YOU for your gift to us all! Cheers

Registered User wellvis@well.com's Avatar

Another thanks for the mandolin setup book. I am looking forward to putting it to good use.
    Brad's Page of Steel:
    http://www.well.com/~wellvis/steel.html
    A website devoted to acoustic & electric steel guitars

Thanks so much for the email book. You have a compiled a wealth of information and I'll put it all to good use. Well done.

Got mine too. What a great piece of work, I know it will be very helpful. Thanks for your generosity in compiling & sharing this Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Bill View Post
    Great tool to have. Free to Mandolin Cafe Members. While I'm a relative newbie, this e-book is very informative and would serve well all but the most experienced in getting the best out of your mandolin.
    I just requested a copy of this from Rob and received it very quickly. This book is loaded with lots of useful information. I recently paid for a set up for my mandolin but with this info I should be able to do it myself next time. Thanks Rob!