Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: My Gibson Master Model Story

Blog Entries

Default Re: My Gibson Master Model Story

Quote Originally Posted by f5loar View Post
    Not to throw stones here but usually the ones that don't believe in what a ToneRite can do also don't believe a BlueChip pick is any better than a 25 cent plastic pick and they tend to use a capo on a mandolin and think Black Diamond strings are the bomb and often confuse a Loar with a The Loar. Not sure if those same people believe in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny but......... oh well I made my statement. And if Gary Hedrick and Dave Harvey believes in it who am I to judge, so I'm siding with the believers and yes I got a ToneRite right after they came out because believe me I've got lots of mandolins sleeping right now as I type. I've got some that haven't seen daylight in decades. I have only been able to master picking one at a time.
    I don't know if they still make'm back then they were the best
    and a good time didn't cost much just two ninety five a set
    back before they played Elvis I chased my hillbilly dreams
    all it took to make me happy was and old guitar and black diamond strings

Yup they still make'm Larry!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    I don't know if they still make'm back then they were the best
    and a good time didn't cost much just two ninety five a set
    back before they played Elvis I chased my hillbilly dreams
    all it took to make me happy was and old guitar and black diamond strings
    That song by that Guy - thats what i was humming when reading the earlier post... glad it's not just me then... or maybe it is?

Black Diamond Strings on a Catalog Guitar
    That’s pretty high cotton whoever you are
    You break one you change one, that’s as good as it gets
    You can play all year long on two or three sets

Well whatya know two songs about those strings!
    Last edited by M.Marmot; Aug-28-2013 at 1:22pm. Reason: just learned me stuff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M.Marmot View Post
    That song by that Guy - thats what i was humming when reading the earlier post... glad it's not just me then... or maybe it is?

Black Diamond Strings on a Catalog Guitar
    That’s pretty high cotton whoever you are
    You break one you change one, that’s as good as it gets
    You can play all year long on two or three sets

Well whatya know two songs about those strings!
    Two different songs -- same name. The one I quoted from is by Larry Cordel -- you picked Guy Clark's song. Both great songs IHMO.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

As I review some of what was said here, I’m really a bit amazed that this set off so much animated discussion. I think there are a few things I should clarify and possibly I should add a soundclip of the mandolin.
    1. My message is that Gibson OAI and especially David Harvey care about what they make and what they do. They take care of folks like us that care about mandolins.
    2. I had never heard of a Tone-Rite before I talked to David Harvey about this mandolin (I don’t follow this forum too closely).
    3. If you don’t think the Tone-Rite works or that it’s some placebo effect, I don’t care.
    4. The Mandolin Store and Dennis Vance are second to no one. Absolutely top notch folks. I would buy a mandolin, sight unseen, from Dennis anytime. The bridge on the MM probably moved several times during the 3 years I owned it.
    5. The MM was a good mandolin. There are lots of good mandolins out there but I wanted a great mandolin. Now I have one.

Despite being digitally challenged, I made a video clip with a cheap point & shoot camera. I have attempted to attach it here. I am reluctant to attach it because the naysayers will probably say it sounds OK & the non-naysayers will probably say it rocks. I can tell you this – it doesn’t do the mandolin justice – the bass notes are especially anemic on this recording. When you hit that G & D string on the C part of this song, it is really ‘pahrful’ as old Jimmy Martin used to say. Sounds pretty thin here – but I’ll let that go. Maybe this is an appropriate melody for the Scrooges out there ;-)

Last edited by LeoR; Aug-30-2013 at 6:53pm.
    Leo R
    Burnsville, Mn

10 Gibson MM
    08 Weber Coyote
    46, 58 D-28
    45 D-18
    27 RB-3

5. The following members say thank you to LeoR for this post:

Astro 

Formerly "Porschefan" Stephen Porter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LeoR View Post
    As I review some of what was said here, I’m really a bit amazed that this set off so much animated discussion. I think there are a few things I should clarify and possibly I should add a soundclip of the mandolin.
    Hi Leo,

The Cafe often surprises me about what does and doesn't generate a lot of spirited discussion...any mention of a Tone-Rite seems to do the trick.

I found your original post very interesting and thanks for posting such a complete account of your journey with this instrument. Very enlightening.

1. My message is that Gibson OAI and especially David Harvey care about what they make and what they do. They take care of folks like us that care about mandolins.
    Yes, the service you got is very impressive and that point came through loud and clear (no pun intended).

2. I had never heard of a Tone-Rite before I talked to David Harvey about this mandolin (I don’t follow this forum too closely).
    Shshhhh....(more animated discussions....)

3. If you don’t think the Tone-Rite doesn’t work or that it’s some placebo effect, I don’t care.
    Me neither.

4. The Mandolin Store and Dennis Vance are second to no one. Absolutely top notch folks. I would buy a mandolin, sight unseen, from Dennis anytime. The bridge on the MM probably moved several times during the 3 years I owned it.
    5. The MM was a good mandolin. There are lots of good mandolins out there but I wanted a great mandolin. Now I have one.
    Thanks for bringing up this point. Being such a newb, I wasn't correct about casting an aspersions on the Mandolin Store. Your, and others' explanations were helpful in realizing that your early problems were not necessarily related to the MS's setup. Hope that removes me from the "Scrooge" category.

Despite being digitally challenged, I made a video clip with a cheap point & shoot camera. I have attempted to attach it here. I am reluctant to attach it because the naysayers will probably say it sounds OK & the non-naysayers will probably say it rocks. I can tell you this – it doesn’t do the mandolin justice – the bass notes are especially anemic on this recording. When you hit that G & D string on the C part of this song, it is really ‘pahrful’ as old Jimmy Martin used to say. Sounds pretty thin here – but I’ll let that go. Maybe this is an appropriate melody for the Scrooges out there ;-)
    Sounds pretty darn good to me...thanks for posting the video.

Drooling over the list of your guitars and the RB-3....NICE stuff! The MM will fit right in.

7. The following members say thank you to Stephen Porter for this post:

LeoR 

Ive owned a Gibson Carlson era F5l beautiful great sounding mandolin! I only got rid of it because I wasn't stable at the time. Of all the great mandolins I have owned or played including Gilchrist Flatiron Sullivan Vintage Gibson F4 etc my 2004 A9 is off the hook great!!!!! I just got a Northfield MM and love it ,they are both fantastic! I have always loved Gibson instruments,maybe not every one but still they always turn my head!

I liked it a lot you play well and the mandolin sounds fine ! its not always a perfect world keep on spanking it itll serve you well!

Great sounding MM. To my ear the modern Gibson MM s are the greatest mandos on the market.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

I wanted to add also that I noticed a huge improvement in the tone of my master model when I switched to J75's. I had an opportunity seven years ago to jam with Ronnie McCoury and he got to play my master model while I played his Loar. After he played it for a while he told me that it is an amazing sounding instrument but it would sound better with a set of J75's and he was right.
    '02 Gibson master model #70327 02-01-02
    '25 Gibson A-4 Snakehead #82626
    '06 Hicks #1 and #2 F-5 still not done

Gibson F-5 Master Model Registry

Do you have Dave Harvey's email address? I bought a Harvey signed F5gc (c for custom or limited run ?) this mandolin has "Fire on the Mountain written on the label inside. I love the mandolin but have several questions about it that Mr. Harvey should be able to answer. I don't know where to find his email address. This mandolin sounds like angelic bells so sweet a real ringer. If someone could direct me to Dave's email address I will be your bff.

Keep a song in your heart,
    Lisa

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grannycrowe View Post
    Do you have Dave Harvey's email address? I bought a Harvey signed F5gc (c for custom or limited run ?) this mandolin has "Fire on the Mountain written on the label inside. I love the mandolin but have several questions about it that Mr. Harvey should be able to answer. I don't know where to find his email address. This mandolin sounds like angelic bells so sweet a real ringer. If someone could direct me to Dave's email address I will be your bff.

Lisa
    Hi Lisa,

I know several individuals who have David's email address but might be reluctant to give it out on a public forum like this. I suggest you message him via his Facebook page -- he is very active on it. I think that the "C" would indeed stand for custom. Does your mandolin happen to have the wide (Sam Bush style) fret board. Gibson often used the "C" on those models. Is the mandolin a 2004 model per chance --that is a 4XXXXXX0 serial number? If so it was one of a batch of 25 F-5Gs specially ordered by the Music Box in CA.
    Bernie
    ____

Quote Originally Posted by Grannycrowe View Post

Lisa
    I have an F5G Custom with Dave's signature. Bought it used. Turns out it was ordered and purchased thru the Mandolin Store. The original owner's name was also inside. 2010 model. I contacted the Mandolin Store and they gave me far more information on the mandolin than I received from Gibson in Nashville. In fact, my call to Gibson in Nashville garnered me nothing. It has the Wide nut, no Florida extension, is fully bound and has a pick guard. Great sound. Had a guy named Derek Zalenka look it over before I purchased it. Met him thru Alan Bibey. Apparently Derek worked for George Gruhn at one time.
    Ray Dearstone #009 D1A (1999)
    Skip Kelley #063 Offset Two Point (2017)
    Arches #9 A Style (2005)
    Bourgeois M5A (2022)
    Hohner and Seydel Harmonicas (various keys)

"Heck, Jimmy Martin don't even believe in Santy Claus!"

I messaged Mr. Harvey on FB but he has not responded.
    Here are some pictures of my mandolin and the 2 inside labels. It was signed on 5/22/2017.

Lisa

I can't get the pics to attach...ugh. Sorry I don't know what I am doing wrong. Will try again later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191024_211458.jpg 
Views:	136 
Size:	953.0 KB 
ID:	180788  

Blog Entries

I know David Harvey is very busy, he'll get back with you, he's a really great guy! Your mandolin is from a special limited run of F-5's I believe.

18. The following members say thank you to William Smith for this post: