Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: D'Addario Micro Tuner - My Review.

Blog Entries

Default Re: D'Addario Micro Tuner - My Review.

I tried the micro and didn't like it. Harder to read and I thought less precise than others. On the other hand, I have a larger D'Addario clip on tuner that I do like. I prefer it to a Snark. Can't find a model name or number but it has a rectangular screen, about 1" x 2".
    New to mando? Click this link -->Newbies to join us at the Newbies Social Group.

Just send an email to rob.meldrum@gmail.com with "mandolin setup" in the subject line and he will email you a copy of his ebook for free (free to all mandolincafe members).

My website and blog: honketyhank.com

2. The following members say thank you to HonketyHank for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Philphool View Post
    If the rattle is coming from the buttons, I've had success with similar problems in the past by putting a tiny drop of Rubber Cement in the groove beside each button. It stops the rattle but remains flexible so that the button still works.
    It worked! Brilliant. Thanks again for the great tip.

4. The following members say thank you to wormpicker for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by HonketyHank View Post
    I tried the micro and didn't like it. Harder to read and I thought less precise than others. On the other hand, I have a larger D'Addario clip on tuner that I do like. I prefer it to a Snark. Can't find a model name or number but it has a rectangular screen, about 1" x 2".
    Yes. Those are nice ones. Keep them as spares in my cases. Never have gotten along with the NS Micro tuners for some reason. Either too hard to see or couldn't find a good spot to put them on any of my instruments. A lot of folks at the old time jam use them. So I'm definitely in the minority here. (FWIW, my main tuners are either Peterson or Polytune.)
    Brentrup Model 23, Boeh A5 #37, Gibson A Jr., Big Muddy M-11, Coombe Classical flattop, Strad-O-Lin
    https://www.facebook.com/LauluAika/
    https://www.lauluaika.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/Longtine-Am...14404553312723

By the way, regarding the accuracy of tuner apps, this summer I visited the Exploratorium in San Francisco. They had an interesting hands-on exhibit on sound, with an oscilloscope to visualize various tones and harmonics that you could adjust very precisely with knobs. So I pulled out my Cleartune app on my iPhone and checked it against the oscilloscope. It was absolutely dead on accurate.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wormpicker For This Useful Post:

Doesn't Thile use those Micro tuners?

I also tried the the micro as D'addario/Planet Waves stuff seems to be great. I thought it would be great in a jam situation to keep clipped to the headstock. Alas, I've been spoiled by the TC polytene/Unitune. Really bright display, very quick to nail the pitch of the string plucked, and accurate. Nothing burns me more than tuning each of the strings of a pair, tuner says each one is in tune, then when plucked together they aren't in tune with each other ! The TC is the only tuner I've tried that didn't have this problem. Expensive but worth it.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Roy For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Duck tape, huh. Never seen anyone tape a duck ... just don't let an animal lover see ya doin' that ... ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoInSeneca View Post
    Duck tape, huh. Never seen anyone tape a duck ... just don't let an animal lover see ya doin' that ... ;-)
    Yeah, Duck Tape is a brand name for duct tape. Duct tape is for, are you ready for this?, taping ducts. However, here in the South, it's used for everything from first aid to major auto repair.
    David Hopkins

2001 Gibson F-5L mandolin
    Breedlove Legacy FF mandolin; Breedlove Quartz FF mandolin
    Gibson F-4 mandolin (1916); Blevins f-style Octave mandolin, 2018
    McCormick Oval Sound Hole "Reinhardt" Mandolin
    McCormick Solid Body F-Style Electric Mandolin; Slingerland Songster Guitar (c. 1939)

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of political correctness, incompetence and stupidity.

13. The following members say thank you to DHopkins for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DHopkins View Post
    Yeah, Duck Tape is a brand name for duct tape. Duct tape is for, are you ready for this?, taping ducts. However, here in the South, it's used for everything from first aid to major auto repair.
    It's not exclusive to the south, it's universal
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Duct Tape And WD-40.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	68.3 KB 
ID:	178650  
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I was not happy with the low-profile D'Addario tuner. I threw it out and bought a TC Electronics Unitune for more money ($29 at Sweetwater). I'm thrilled with it. NFI.

FWIW, I have three of these on three mandos and I find them effective and low-profile (I have a completely irrational hatred of clip-on tuners clipped on while performing.) I cut thin slices of leather from old motorcycle gloves to sit between the clip and the headstock. The tuners seem to tune fine on my instruments - no worse than the other clip-ons I have. All clip-ons seem to suck when it's loud because of the instruments' vibration from the volume. But then again, I attempt to avoid tuning when it's loud because I can't hear myself tune. I also like the quick on/off (I have one very expensive clip-on that requires sustained pressure on the "on" button for 2 seconds and that is just miserable.)

YMMV, but I'm surprised (but don't doubt) that folks have such trouble with these guys.

I'd recommend folks give them a try - they are cheap enough - and I really like them. I also bought a bunch of batteries.