Thread: Jean Paul Charles

Default Jean Paul Charles

I have very sad news to report. JP Charles died at the end of July in his home city of Salvador, Brazil. For those who didn't know him, he was an excellent swing and choro player on the bandolim as well as on his innovative electro-acoustics.

I met him in Salvador in 1999 and he was extremely warm and gracious, as well as modest, given his status as one of the leading luthiers and players in Bahia. He played in the Banda Base in the 1990s in Salvador and he was a mandolinist of note in France prior to his emigration to Brazil. He built many instruments, including bandolims, guittara baianas, guitars and even basses; the bandolim that he built for me is exceptional.
    He is survived by his wife, the singer Matilde Charles.

www.sojournerrecords.com

Default Re: Jean Paul Charles

How, very sad. I wrote to him about five years ago about obtaining a couple of jazz-oriented mandolin recording he made when he was still living in France. He was very gracious. Very good the recording are, too.

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Rest in peace, Jean Paul

Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by michaell View Post
    I have very sad news to report. JP Charles died at the end of July in his home city of Salvador, Brazil. For those who didn't know him, he was an excellent swing and choro player on the bandolim as well as on his innovative electro-acoustics.

I met him in Salvador in 1999 and he was extremely warm and gracious, as well as modest, given his status as one of the leading luthiers and players in Bahia. He played in the Banda Base in the 1990s in Salvador and he was a mandolinist of note in France prior to his emigration to Brazil. He built many instruments, including bandolims, guittara baianas, guitars and even basses; the bandolim that he built for me is exceptional.
    He is survived by his wife, the singer Matilde Charles.

www.sojournerrecords.com
    How very sad indeed. : ( I bought some old Gibbie mandolin parts from him not too long ago. He was so very sweet and happy to talk about/share Luthier ideas. Thank you for posting this premature/sad passing.

That is sad. I did not know him but I admired his work and the gracefulness of his designs.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1