Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Name That Collings Mandolin and Win It!

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Re: Name That Collings Mandolin and Win It!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Collings is not looking to rename any models in their mandolin line. Had they been, we would have stated as such.

Period.

This is a generic MT2 photo. We're a long way off from picking a winner so the mandolin being given away may just be entering production.
    Well, that changes things, perhaps. Will the mandolin look like the one in the photo? Because, really, looks probably will have a bit to do with any particular name. I wouldn't want to name it "Sally Sunburst" if the prize mandolin is a blonde.

Yeah... it's difficult enough to name an instrument (so hard I've never done it! hah!) and we have to name it based on a generic picture? I listened to a few YouTube clips, and different MT2s don't necessarily even sound a whole lot like each other, either. I suspect this contest's entries will read like horses' names on the Racing Form. But instead of riffing off the sire's and dam's names, it will be off the Collings company names and its other attributes. Or maybe not. We'll see. But 'twould be nice to know what the new baby looks and sounds like...

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

I just The MT2 is a really great mandolin.

I just entered a contest to name the newly discovered 10th planet. This naming stuff is hard. This will be a fun contest.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Does Thile play a Collings on the Bach album? I know he has a Loar now. Is the contest specifically related to the album and should the name reflect that?
    Teri LaMarco
    Hear my music on Spotify (and other streaming services)
    https://open.spotify.com/album/2XBuk...SV24bnkZ2uC-hw

5. The following members say thank you to Amandalyn for this post:

Jim 

Quote Originally Posted by Amandalyn View Post
    Does Thile play a Collings on the Bach album? I know he has a Loar now. Is the contest specifically related to the album and should the name reflect that?
    Thile plays his Lloyd Loar-signed Gibson almost exclusively, as far as I know. (I believe he has more than one, but I could be wrong.)

He used to play a Dudenbostel (still might have it, I'd guess).

But I don't believe he's ever been associated with Collings.

Chris is associated with D'Addario Strings. I'd find and upload the video, but I don't have time.

Blog Entries

This is far simpler and less complicated than some of you are making it. Good grief.

The winner will actually receive a mandolin that looks just like the one pictured in the news release. Had we needed, there are plenty of pictures of all Collings mandolins to use. We are not doing a switcharoo and giving away a pink MT2.

Chris did not play a Collings MT2 on this recording. I'm perplexed this is even a question, especially since it's all over the web that he used his Loar. Chris has an artist relationship with D'Addario Strings, not Collings. Collings is simply doing this for the same reason the Cafe is, because we enjoy doing it and we love all things mandolin.

Collings has not abdicated the renaming of the MT2 line to me personally and a bunch of corporate marketing and sales people at D'Addario unknown to them, nor was that ever implied.

Registration does not begin until September 3.

9. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Markus 

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    This is far simpler and less complicated than some of you are making it. Good grief.

The winner will actually receive a mandolin that looks just like the one pictured in the news release. Had we needed, there are plenty of pictures of all Collings mandolins to use. We are not doing a switcharoo and giving away a pink MT2.
    Sorry if the questions are making you crabby! (This IS an awesome, amazingly generous giveaway, and folks are just trying to get a clear idea of the rules/concept/etc...)

I think the original post, which included a photo, and said "win this spectacular instrument" became muddied with a later post that said "This is a generic MT2 photo."

I think people just want to clarify things. Thanks for doing so.

11. The following members say thank you to terzinator for this post:

Jim 

my name entry is "drop of creativity" the mandolin is shaped like a drop and is of course the first drop of becoming creative.

Blog Entries

Not sure...

However, I do know that the Collings MT2 was the primary mandolin played on every track of the now famous "All-Star Mandolin Tribute to Lady Gaga" release.

I remember Mike Marshall saying the tone he got out of the Collings on his and Caterina's cover of "Love Game" was as profound and memorable as the tone he got out of his Loar! Likewise, Mike 'Tater' Compton has said more than once that he considers his playing of the MT2 on "Government Hooker" on this release to be a highlight of his career.

So, with all this in mind, a "Lady Gaga inspired name" might be the way to go?

Good luck all!
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

Its a BachaThilelin!

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Adam Steffey said in an interview that his solo on "Bad Romance" just wouldn't have worked with his Northfield, and only the MT2 gave it the proper sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Not sure...

However, I do know that the Collings MT2 was the primary mandolin played on every track of the now famous "All-Star Mandolin Tribute to Lady Gaga" release.

I remember Mike Marshall saying the tone he got out of the Collings on his and Caterina's cover of "Love Game" was as profound and memorable as the tone he got out of his Loar! Likewise, Mike 'Tater' Compton has said more than once that he considers his playing of the MT2 on "Government Hooker" on this release to be a highlight of his career.

Good luck all!
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

17. The following members say thank you to Michael Bridges for this post:

Blog Entries

Early this morning the name came to me. I got it. Its perfect.

No I am not going to share it. I am going to win it!
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Go for it, Jeff!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

There is only one name for this fine instrument...

Capriccio
    Amateurs practice until they can play it right.
    Professionals practice until they can't play it wrong.

Collings MTO
    Epiphone Mandobird IV
    Yamaha Piano
    Roland AX-1

Full-2©

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    Lady Two-Two?

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I'm still stuck on the notion of using an arched top, f-hole mandolin for classical music. Add J-74s and wow, now I'm disoriented.

You'd think folks would have the curtesy to use a taterbug and some hand-made strings for Bach.

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

I think it looks like something my old dad would have in his old house...sooo...You should call it "OLD DAD", you could have fancier models , call them "OLD GRANDAD" and "Great Grandad" or just "Grandad". This would give the instrument a heritage feel just from the name. The finish looks like early 30's and 40's vintage colors. You will need a fine font with really curvy letters to adorn the headstock. So in summary, you should pick me to have this fine instrument, just sayin.

Boy, I don't envy the judges their job on this one.

Since entries are being judged on creativity, i.e., since the winner isn't determined by chance, are we still limited to one entry per person?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Scott definitely said one entry per person (on the previous page in this thread), but as far as I can tell, he didn't quite answer the question of another poster whether there could be more than one idea submitted in that entry, or just a single idea.

(I'd guess he meant the latter, but would also hope for the former! )

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

Blog Entries

C-A Romantico

Quote Originally Posted by bratsche View Post
    Scott definitely said one entry per person (on the previous page in this thread)
    Ah, so he did. Mea culpa. Well, I suppose I'll have to send my best idea rather than all my ideas.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Ah, so he did. Mea culpa. Well, I suppose I'll have to send my best idea rather than all my ideas.
    Ah, yes, "Mea Culpa" would be an excellent name, Martin. I think you will win!
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1