Thread: time to upgrade

Question time to upgrade

Hello,

In march i bought a rouge A-style mando. (cheap i know) but i wanted to see if i like and really wanna play mando. so now that i know im enjoying it and learned a few songs i was wondering

What is the next mando i should upgrade to? or at least what to look for....

Thanks
    Last edited by Kandar; Aug-17-2013 at 6:56am.

Default Re: time to upgrade

There are lots of threads on this topic already - have a search and you'll find a whole bunch.

Generally speaking though, here are a few of the common recommendations:
    1. A style will give you more bang for buck than F-style (usually)
    2. Buying used will enable you to get a better sounding mandolin for less money than buying new
    3. Buy the best mandolin you can afford - it'll save you money in the long run because you won't be constantly upgrading (hopefully)
    4. Spend a month or two looking in the classifieds here - you'll get a good idea of what prices to pay for which instruments
    5. Do your research here on the cafe and also play a bunch of mandolins in person if you have the chance.

Good luck!

3. The following members say thank you to jazzman13 for this post:

Kandar 

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

Having some idea of your budget and musical direction would help. Otherwise I'm recommending what I'm selling - ha!

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Jazzman13, I want to thank you for your reply to OP. It was informative, respectful and encouraging to a new player.

Having purchased many mandolins in the search for that elusive "BEST" mandolin for ???. My advice is to be sure the one you currently have is set up well to facilitate your learning. Decide if your current instrument is suitable for your playing style (read the forum posts on this site). I would suggest that you follow the advice given by Jazzman13.

Be aware MAS is real, there is always Better out there. Let your instrument match your needs and not your ego. I fall victim to thinking more highly of my need for a great mandolin than I really need. That has lead me to have mandolins that were better than my skill could bring out of the them.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to texaspaul For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Well, a lot depends on the budget and what you're looking on doing with it.

Bluegrass, old-time, Irish, blues?
    Do you want to play out at jams or in a group, or just for home use?

Jazzman put out the general guidelines - A-style gives you the same sound but at less price, used can save money, etc.
    Find something you like, you love to play. It's not about what the internet tells you, it's about whether you love to pick it up every time you get home.

8. The following members say thank you to Markus for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by texaspaul View Post
    ...snip... Let your instrument match your needs and not your ego. I fall victim to thinking more highly of my need for a great mandolin than I really need. That has lead me to have mandolins that were better than my skill could bring out of the them.
    I generally agree with this, but feel strongly that the application and desired use of the instrument and NOT the player's skill level should go into the determination of a budget for the instrument. I'm very uncomfortable with the prevailing philosophy that a player must "earn" a certain quality level of instrument by achieving a certain skill level.

What does make sense to me is taking into account the way the instrument is going to be used and the "tonal expectations" of the player.

I see the search for an instrument like looking for a new vehicle...A Mercedes isn't the right vehicle for some folks, not because of their driving skill, but because a pick-up truck will better suit their needs, and what they will be using the vehicle for.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

10. The following members say thank you to Ed Goist for this post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Goist View Post
    I generally agree with this, but feel strongly that the application and desired use of the instrument and NOT the player's skill level should go into the determination of a budget for the instrument.
    I agree. I don't think that an expensive instrument is needed to make great music - but buying half of what you eventually will have makes no sense either.

A local player gave me the advice to think about how many times I will pick up and play the instrument in the next few years or decade. It is a rare day I don't pick up my instrument [at very least in the evening] and that's been my pattern for going on 15 years. In the 3 years I've had my mandolin I've probably played it over 1,000 times ... all of a sudden spending a couple grand on my next mandolin makes complete sense as I will easily spend that much on the beer I drink while playing it in the next few years.

If mandolin is a serious thing in your life and will be for a while, buy something that fits that role.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Markus For This Useful Post:

I will go a little farther with suggestions....

1. New (or used) mandos from a Brick and morter dealer gives you the most security but the highest price. In this case you can visit the dealer and check out the instrument yourself... these are normally guarenteed by the dealer.

2. New mandos by mail order give you the lowest price for new, but the mandos are not usually set up... Very very important! Figure about $70 to have a luthier set it up properly.

3. Used mandos from this site are usually in decent condition and are almost always set up properly... (almost always). Figure you can get a good mando for less, than what a dealer will charge for the same used instrument. But of course you have no guarentee except the sellers word.

4. eBay auction mandos offer you the best price but the least security as long as the auction is an auction and not just an ebay sale with a fixed price... The auction part is very important! Here you can really find some deals but there is some risk and I would suggest this site for someone who knows something about mandos and fixing mandos. I personally have had very good luck on eBay but I am willing to work on my instruments so I buy really inexpensive ones and repair them for my own use..

This is similar to an estate sale where you are responsible to know something about what you are buying with none of the security of a dealer sale. You are completely on your own.

Also If you will give us a ball park of what you want to pay for your next mando we could make specific suggestions in your price range
    Bart McNeil

Blog Entries

Below is my current candidate for best Mandolin Cafe post of 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I agree. I don't think that an expensive instrument is needed to make great music - but buying half of what you eventually will have makes no sense either.

A local player gave me the advice to think about how many times I will pick up and play the instrument in the next few years or decade. It is a rare day I don't pick up my instrument [at very least in the evening] and that's been my pattern for going on 15 years. In the 3 years I've had my mandolin I've probably played it over 1,000 times ... all of a sudden spending a couple grand on my next mandolin makes complete sense as I will easily spend that much on the beer I drink while playing it in the next few years.

If mandolin is a serious thing in your life and will be for a while, buy something that fits that role.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ed Goist For This Useful Post:

I did not mean that you must earn a great mandolin. I think you should buy the best one you can afford. That being the S
    said, it can serve a person well to hang on to a beginner until you know what you are wanting in a mandolin instead of just upgrading several times when the mandolin in hand may help you develope your playing and knowledge until you get a lifer. Don't just upgrade to satisfy a perceived need. Make a decision to upgrade with your head and bring your heart along to help.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to texaspaul For This Useful Post:

Ed GoistJim 

Blog Entries

Well said Paul.
    Think Hippie Thoughts...

I agree w/ jazzman's post..........lots of threads on the Cafe discussing this topic that will be very helpful to you.....And going for a used mando can give you a better quality mando than what you might spend on a new mando. I have jumped into the discussion w/ lots of newbies & have previously recommended several good new mandos for under $500 if you decide to get a new instrument:
    A models: Kentucky KM 150/250/350/380, Eastman MS 304 or 305, The Loar LM220 (I had one of these & it was a great mando for the $$$), Gold Tone GM50,
    F models: Rover RM75, Morgan Monroe MMS2
    Many others I'm sure. Hard to beat those Kentucky & Eastman mandos.
    And........key pearl: make sure to get the new mando "set up" to get the best musical bang for your buck...
    Good luck.
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

I watch the cafe classifieds rather closely, I and many others, and can think of no other place where such a wide spectrum of mandolins comes available. If you have some notion of what you want, it will show up here. Patience and perserverance in watching the ads will get you the opportunity to buy what you want. You also will be able to have some feel for who the seller is and how much trust to put into the deal. We're players, for the most part, and I feel that buying from a player is likely to get you a playable instrument. My one purchase through the ads was good and the seller and I communicated a great deal prior to the purchase. I felt that I knew what I was getting and that turned out to be the case. I have no problem buying sight unseen if the trust is there.
    First and foremost, you have to know what you want. Play everything you can get your hands on, decide what you can afford. Money spent on good instruments is the best dollar you'll ever spend. Do not go cheap unless an old funky relic junker is what you want. Nothing wrong with that.
    Mike Snyder

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Snyder For This Useful Post:

Thank u for the advice

Mike: I have to agree with your comment about the value received for money spent on good instruments. I own (many) more than one instrument and, on a pro-rated cost basis, they all cost less per hour of entertainment than going out to see a movie- especially if you get popcorn and a drink!

24. The following members say thank you to John Soper for this post:

Markus 

Quote Originally Posted by Kandar View Post
    Hello,

In march i bought a rouge A-style mando. (cheap i know) but i wanted to see if i like and really wanna play mando. so now that i know im enjoying it and learned a few songs i was wondering

What is the next mando i should upgrade to? or at least what to look for....

Thanks
    Contact the good folks at The Mandolin Store. They never try to oversell customers and will help you make the right choice . Good luck!

Where's the cream? drjuliushibbert's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by texaspaul View Post
    Jazzman13, I want to thank you for your reply to OP. It was informative, respectful and encouraging to a new player.

Having purchased many mandolins in the search for that elusive "BEST" mandolin for ???. My advice is to be sure the one you currently have is set up well to facilitate your learning. Decide if your current instrument is suitable for your playing style (read the forum posts on this site). I would suggest that you follow the advice given by Jazzman13.

Be aware MAS is real, there is always Better out there. Let your instrument match your needs and not your ego. I fall victim to thinking more highly of my need for a great mandolin than I really need. That has lead me to have mandolins that were better than my skill could bring out of the them.
    The last paragraph here should be tacked to the top of the forum - so, so true.

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    ... all of a sudden spending a couple grand on my next mandolin makes complete sense as I will easily spend that much on the beer I drink while playing it in the next few years.
    That is good, solid logic. Now that I've really thought that theory through, I've decided not to deny myself my favorite micro-brews. If I can force myself to stick to the plan, a Dudenbostel may be in my future!

I would be thinking about spending $1000 - $3000. You will be able to find a fine instrument in that range beginning with a Kentucky KM900 and perhaps going up to a Northfield and such. Something that could easily last you your entire life if you can avoid the dreaded MAS. What you spend is somewhat determined by whether you want an F5 style with the scroll and all or will be happy with an A model. In the mid-2K area I would recommend a Pava. It is an A style made in Tom Ellis' shop and is an incredible value. Wonderful mandolin for the money! Just my 0.02
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Attachment 106314. Went with this. G9310 New Yorker™ Supreme Mandolin

Thanks guys for your help.