Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Am I Too Old To Start Playing An Instrument Now?

Default Am I Too Old To Start Playing An Instrument Now?

As the title says...I'm an "old" 36...will be 37 in a few months. But, more importantly, I can not play ANY instrument...at all. I have never officially tried to play anything. I taught myself a little...VERY little, piano a few years ago by book, and I didn't stick with it. I was able to play the fist part of Silent Night, learned the chords...but quickly forgot as I stepped away after the first week or two.

But, I have always longed to be able to play something. My late grandfather passed on to me his love for Bluegrass and old Country from his extensive record collection and his ability to pick just about anything, including the mandolin...but most notably his jug blowing from bands in his past.

I have an opportunity to acquire a "beginners mandolin". This is not a question of "what kind of mandolin", or any of that...it's merely to get some feedback as to how you feel about an older guy, with no known musical talent or skills...learning to play a mandolin as their first instrument?

Your thoughts, please?

Thanks...in advance!

Default Re: Am I Too Old To Start Playing An Instrument Now?

Oh, it's not that hard. The bunch of jokers on here can all do it, many of them superbly.

I didn't start the mandolin until I was older than you, although I did play the guitar (rather badly) before that. Not that that's any recommendation.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

Welcome! If you can count to four and tap your foot on the 2 and 4 beats, you're half way to playing rhythm chops!

I picked up mandolin at age 36.

5. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

Many folks on this site didn't start until well into their 50s or 60s. As the old saying goes, ten years from now you can be 10 years older, or 10 years older and a mandolin player. Besides, 36 is just barely past puberty.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pete Summers For This Useful Post:

36 is old? Jump on that horse n ride!

9. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Welcome to the Cafe. Never too old to start. Lots of help to be found on the site. As above post said get on and have some fun.
    My Uncle's Stella
    The Loar 600

"I've suffered for my music-now it's your turn."--Neil Innes

11. The following members say thank you to Upstate Al for this post:

Thanks folks...for the replies so far, really! I appreciate it. I am looking for honesty, not that any of you are lying...but I assume that learning an instrument, without ANY prior knowledge of reading music, playing music...or even singing...MUST BE TOUGH!

However, I was and am looking for the practicality of it...starting on such an instrument.

As far as my MANY other questions, I've already "learned" how to use the sear feature...and this place is great!

Again, thanks for all of your help!

You're not going to get anything but positive reinforcement here. Find a simple (two- or three-chord) song you like, learn a couple of basic two-finger chords and give it a go. Bet you never look back.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

14. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigHossCCF View Post
    I assume that learning an instrument, without ANY prior knowledge of reading music, playing music...or even singing...MUST BE TOUGH!
    It isn't really. There are certainly many hurdles to overcome and it is a long road, but the starting bit where you figure out how to get going, it's really just a lot of fun - or it should be. Little kids can do it. No rocket science going on here.

16. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Another thought: Guitar can be more immediately gratifying as a first instrument. Many of us on the Cafe came to the mandolin after having played guitar. It's easier to sing along with a guitar, which can help you get started.

18. The following members say thank you to jaycat for this post:

i've got 3 new to playing an instrument mandolin students
    2 started in their late 40's and 1 started at almost 60

don't forget that you have 36 years of listening to and enjoying music
    quite a head start, no?

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephen Lind For This Useful Post:

Hey BigHoss, I am 42 and just had my first lesson last week. Got my second one tomorrow. Like you, I have never played any kind of instrument nor do I know how to read music either. I am just learning to play scales but I have greatly improved over this last week and I am also beginning to understand how to read tab's. Truthfully it isn't is hard as I thought it would be. I think the key is determination and patience. Rome wasn't built in a day! So, from one newbie to another, get with it man! Time is a wasting.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carolina Rookie For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Lind View Post
    i've got 3 new to playing an instrument mandolin students
    2 started in their late 40's and 1 started at almost 60

don't forget that you have 36 years of listening to and enjoying music
    quite a head start, no?
    Oh...this is true! LOL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Rookie View Post
    Hey BigHoss, I am 42 and just had my first lesson last week. Got my second one tomorrow. Like you, I have never played any kind of instrument nor do I know how to read music either. I am just learning to play scales but I have greatly improved over this last week and I am also beginning to understand how to read tab's. Truthfully it isn't is hard as I thought it would be. I think the key is determination and patience. Rome wasn't built in a day! So, from one newbie to another, get with it man! Time is a wasting.
    Thanks for those words...it does help...as does the words of EVERYONE here, so far! Good luck to you!

" The secret of life is enjoying the passing of time"..James Taylor

ENJOY learning to play mandolin and the little victories along the way .You aren't being forced to play at gunpoint are you ? If you aren't enjoying it, it won't matter how well you play or how long it takes you . I took about eleventy-thousand photographs before I started taking the good ones ....but I enjoyed every moment of the search and the challenges of shooting a subject properly .
    May the force be with you "oldtimer" . ( BTW I started playing at 60 )

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to roysboy For This Useful Post:

At 36 you are a mere child! Go out and play, young man.

I have a friend whose grandson has just given him a tenor banjo and the order that he has to be able to play a tune by Christmas. He called me and asked for some help - had never played before, knew nothing about music and was ,in his own words, tone deaf. Now, about ten weeks into his weekly lessons, he is playing tunes with the help of simple tab and knows when he is playing wrong notes. He moved from the tenor to mandolin as he was finding the tenor scale too big a stretch - we had tried capoing it at the 7th fret but this was not really working, so I gave him the mandolin to try. He loves playing and is determined to entertain his grandson by Christmas, and he will. Oh, he is in his mid seventies!

27. The following members say thank you to John Kelly for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BigHossCCF View Post
    ...it's merely to get some feedback as to how you feel about an older guy, with no known musical talent or skills...learning to play a mandolin as their first instrument?

Your thoughts, please?
    “It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

You start the journey from wherever you are. Like many others, I played guitar for years before starting mandolin in my late 50's. You could start with guitar and play for 10 years, then switch to mandolin, or you could pick up the mandolin and play for 10 years. What instrument do you want to play?

I will also echo that it's shouldn't be a struggle. You should enjoy (mostly) the process. Yes, it will be frustrating at times, but that's the nature of the beast. It can also be amazingly rewarding.

Welcome aboard! Step onto the road, and see where it leads you!

Don't play what's there, play what's not there. - Miles Davis

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sid Simpson For This Useful Post:

A few years from now you'll be in a chiropractor's office laying out money you'd rather be spending trying to cure MAS. You'll be there because you threw your back out trying to kick yourself in the butt for not starting sooner. Much easier to do that when you're 40 and not the age some of us have endured the pain and embarrassment. Go for it and enjoy the ride!

Ryk
    mandolin ~ guitar ~ banjo

"I'm convinced that playing well is not so much a technique as it is a decision. It's a commitment to do the work, strive for concentration, get strategic about advancing by steps, and push patiently forward toward the goal." Dan Crary

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryk Loske For This Useful Post:

WoW! Really...there's some great advice here! Again, thank you ALL!

By my choice...pick any instrument...I want to play/learn to play...first and foremost, the mandolin!

I took up the mandolin when I was about your age. Even if you only live to an average life expectancy, you're not even at the halfway point yet.

No, you are not too old. Good Lord, you're way too young to be thinking you're too old for anything!

With that said, you will likely have a tougher time learning to play an instrument from scratch than a young kid would. Especially with all the adult responsibilities and limited time that adults have for hobbies. But if you set yourself goals and force yourself to stick to a disciplined approach (i.e. MAKE the time for it on a regular basis), you'll get there. This was my hardest challenge, and still is in many ways. I force myself to take an hour a day for practice and learning. I close out everything else, including my wife (!) for that hour and focus strictly on the mandolin.

34. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I've been playing mandolin for 4 years, having picked it up at the tender age of 46. Before that I was a strummer. Believe me, it is never too late to start playing music.

36. The following members say thank you to Toycona for this post:

In 4 years you will be 40, so the choice is clear to me:

You can be a 40 year old with 4 years of mandolin playing experience under your belt, or you can be a 40 year old still wishing you had started.

Go for it!
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Austin Bob For This Useful Post:

Welcome Hoss..........I agree with all of the encouraging comments above........get your mando & start playing!!!!! What an awesome instrument the mandolin is & it will bring you so much enjoyment (maybe a little frustration too...) along the way. Lots of great knowledge here on the Cafe web site & lots of great mando lesson videos on You Tube.......come on in......the water's fine....
    Peace,
    Jim Ferguson

Kentucky KM1000

~Give Blood-Play Hockey

40. The following members say thank you to Jim Ferguson for this post:

Don't worry about how good you may be, the process of getting there is blast.

42. The following members say thank you to Big Ed for this post:

It's never too late to try something new until it truly is too late.

My best advice. Get Mike Marshall's instructional DVDs and learn good instrument and hand positioning as early in the process as possible. Why MM? His approach has been very helpful in correcting lots of my in-grown bad habits; made me a better player. (Then again, just about anything would have been an improvement.)
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CeeCee_C For This Useful Post:

Find a good, kind and patient teacher. The early guidance to the beginning of the path will make the subsequent journey much more pleasant and delightful.

Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

46. The following members say thank you to Steve Sorensen for this post: