Thread: Metronomes for Iphones suggestions

Default Metronomes for Iphones suggestions

Hi

Looking for a reliable simple to use metronome for an Iphone. Just need to be able to set time in BPM and a nice loud woody click.

really don't need many features

but I've read some Iphone apps don't keep a steady beat!

any suggestions?

Default Re: Metronomes for Iphones suggestions

I've used Tempo from Frozen Ape Software since the earliest version, and I've liked it a lot. Only downside is they keep adding features I don't really feel I need, and this changes the interface. I'm frustrated with it at this point, as I need to keep relearning the interface. If you're new to it, though, I imagine you might really like it. It certainly is versatile, and features both audible and visual tempo cues. I was happy enough with the first version.
    Think globally, bike locally.

I use Steinway & Sons metronome. I like it pretty well. Only problem is that like ALL metronomes I have ever used, they start out fine & then in the middle of the song THEY somehow slowdown....

4. The following members say thank you to MandoHog for this post:

2Sharp 

I have a ton of metronome apps... here are some of the ones I use:

-Beats (a super clean and simple one, with a great landscape mode - my favorite) - [FREE]
    -Tempo (same one as mentioned above... not amazing design, but lots of features) - [$1.99]
    -Minimis (has a ton of potential and clean design, but needs to be updated to 4" screens) - [$2.99]
    -Pro Metronome (pro version w/landscape mode is $1.99 IAP... but still a good free app) - [FREE]

I use Silver Dial. It has enough features and seems to be issue free.

I like iTick. Free, no ads.

Must. Keep. Practicing. Ben Cooper's Avatar

I am using Metronome+ and gave not had any issues yet.
    Benjamin C
    Girouard A-5 #62
    Fender FM-100

"Writing about music is like dancing about architecture."

I like Web Metronome. The interface is dead simple. However, it allows you to define the number of beats per cycle and emphasize any beats within it with equal simplicity. Very useful for more ethnic music explorations. You can try it out for free on the web and then get the phone app if you like it

Hope this helps,
    Avi

I use Tempo Advance.

I found the interface a little counterintuitive at first, but it has good sounds and is very flexible.

Probably more features than you are looking for, Perry, but it's handy if you need to practice anything in compound measures with complex accenting. Many of the other metronomes I've tried will allow you to build odd measures (7/8, 11/8, 25/8, etc.), but donj't provide good accenting tones or have the necessary range of tempi necessary to play the measures up to full speed (for Balkan dance tunes, for example).
    Just one guy's opinion
    www.guitarfish.net

Thanks everyone. I just started with Beats for now free as mentioned. Seems super easy to use.

Now how about a drum machine for Iphone

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

For metronome I use one called Pro Metronome. I paid a few dollars for it, but I think its worth it. You can tap out a beat and the device will continue it for you, or you can set it with a dial. It also had different blink patterns, and IIRC you can set the flash to go off every two or four beats.

For drum beats (and much more) I like to play with Figure, by Propellerhead Software. Might not be what you are looking for, but I enjoy it.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Perry View Post
    Thanks everyone. I just started with Beats for now free as mentioned. Seems super easy to use.

Now how about a drum machine for Iphone
    Perry, it should be mentioned that Beats is normally anywhere from $0.99 - $2.99, but the price was lowered 2 weeks ago to free, which is when I pounced. So many of the bad reviews I read of it were that they didn't understand how the landscape mode worked. Very weird.

For an iPhone drum machine, most people consider DM1 to be the standard by which others are measured. I don't have a need for a drum machine, but if I did, that'd be the one to get.

Have fun!
    john

Quote Originally Posted by herbsandspices View Post
    Perry, it should be mentioned that Beats is normally anywhere from $0.99 - $2.99, but the price was lowered 2 weeks ago to free, which is when I pounced. So many of the bad reviews I read of it were that they didn't understand how the landscape mode worked. Very weird.

For an iPhone drum machine, most people consider DM1 to be the standard by which others are measured. I don't have a need for a drum machine, but if I did, that'd be the one to get.

Have fun!
    john
    Thanks again John...after playing with Beats I find it to be perfect. So easy to use. My only gripe is not with that software but with external volume of the Iphone speaker it itself. Wish I could get the speaker a little louder. I find many of the standalone Boss metronomes to be very low too. Mandolins can get LOUD!

Thanks for the drum machine tip..will check it out now.

Update: just looked at the DM1 it does not appear to have pre programmed built-in patterns? I'm not interested in building patterns just playing to some per-designed drum tracks. Funner then a metronome sometimes

On a side note just downloaded the Cleartune $3.99 but VERY accurate...built in temperaments too
    Last edited by Perry; Aug-14-2013 at 9:27am.

I agree that the volume of the built-in iPhone speaker isn't loud enough to be a true stand-alone metronome if you're playing loud or with other people. If I'm playing by myself and can't hear it, I'll put an earphone in one ear (not ideal), or if our band practices with one (we've got some trouble-makin' songs where the lead guitarist jumps ahead and falls behind the beat on purpose, which screws everyone else up), we plug it into a stereo.

My favorite tuning app is called Tunable... though you downloaded what many people consider to be the best iOS tuner in Cleartune. The other two that I think are worth looking at are insTuner, which has strobe and spectrogram modes (they have a free version that's super limited), and Peterson's iStroboSoft... but that's $10!!