Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High-strung Mandola

Default Re: High-strung Mandola

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    It can be surprisingly hard to tell the difference between different octaves particularly when comparing different instruments
    Tavy has it spot on. No time wasted at all, definitely one of the more stimulating discussions here this weekend.

A micrometer or dial caliper on the old strings would go a long way toward solving this mystery. MMc

Quote Originally Posted by moxie View Post
    A micrometer or dial caliper on the old strings would go a long way toward solving this mystery. MMc
    If you read the thread I think you'll find a definitive solution has already been arrived at.

Quote Originally Posted by Tavy View Post
    LOL, something like that: I wanted to know what scale length I could go up to and still tune GDAEB on a 5 course instrument. The issue being that thinner strings are also more fragile so you can't actually get a higher pitch from them.

For the record, seems like somewhere around a 9 or 9.5 will give you the highest possible pitch on any given instrument. Breaking tension was around 25 or 28lbs respectively, but you'd want an actual playing tension no more than ~22 or 24lbs otherwise you'd break a string every time the temperature changed!
    I've done the same and on a 22" scale I can get by a .009" on the high B strings but a few tunings later they are suspect to a TWAAAAAAANG so I settled for .008". I aim for 20 - 22lbs tension per string....
    But not being there when the OP did his thing far be it from me to say he was an octave off...

More "meat" for the technically minded from folks who know something about strings and tension:

http://daddario.com/upload/tension_chart_13934.pdf

http://www.mcdonaldstrings.com/stringxxiii.html

takes a lot of the fun (and guesswork) out of the equation

Also Mount Joy Music Spring Wire Specifications with Break Strength/Lbs. by Diameter.
    (Scroll down.)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderHuffy View Post
    the music shop and I assume they outfitted correctly (although they also told me it was a mandola, so I'm not sure).
    Anyone can make a mistake, but I'm sure curious what the name of that music shop is. It sounds like something that would happen at a big box music store. Not to mention any names.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    I'm sure curious what the name of that music shop is..
    It was a fairly small shop in Bellingham, WA. In fact I think it was called "Bellingham Music."

Quote Originally Posted by belbein View Post
    Anyone can make a mistake, but I'm sure curious what the name of that music shop is. It sounds like something that would happen at a big box music store. Not to mention any names.
    Not necessarily any mistake at all, given that an octave mandolin is sometimes called a mandola. We don't have the benefit of knowing precisely what the OP was told at the time of purchase. They can scarcely be blamed for the OP's pitch problem when a year later he mistakenly tries to retune his OM as a mandocello and finds it sounds lousy - it would.

Blog Entries

Time to let it go.
    The more I learn, the less I know.

Peter Jenner
    Blackheathen

Facebook

11. The following members say thank you to Pete Jenner for this post:

Blog Entries

Well, the reason it's high strung is that it can't let it go.
    belbein

The bad news is that what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. The good news is that what kills us makes it no longer our problem