Thread: Kentucky 150 vs Eastman 315

Question Kentucky 150 vs Eastman 315

Has anyone played a Kentucky KM150 and a Eastman 315? How do they compare to one another? The reason I ask is because I was thinking about upgrading to a Eastman 315 from the Kentucky 150. Unfortunatley there are no music shops around that stock the Eastman 315 and it is hard for me to decide whether I want to fork out the money for it or not. I am afraid that I will get and Eastman 315 and it will feel like I'm holding my Kentucky 150 and not really getting the warm fuzzies from an upgraded instrument. I know that both the Kentucky 150 and Eastman 315 are lower end mandolins and I will not get the same feeling of an upgrade as if I had bought a Collings or something of that stature. I just don't think that I can justify paying for a higher end mandolin at the moment at my playing skills.

Default Re: Kentucky 150 vs Eastman 315

I've never owned an Eatman 315, although I do own a couple of Eastmans. I have owned a 150 and that's a darned nice mandolin for the money.

My guess is that they would be pretty much the same sound wise IF they were set up properly. Have you called one of the reputable dealers that advertise here to ask their opinion? I'd be inclined to call the Mandolin Store and the Mando Shop if I were considering such a move.

Another thought -- if you watch the classifieds here you might be able to pick up a used 315 and not have any more money in the two of them than you would have if you sold the 150 and purchased a new 315. then you could have MAS like many of us!
    Eastman 804V
    Kentucky KM-505
    Banjos - Deering Goodtime 19 Fret Tenor & 5 string
    Guitars:

2006 Taylor GS5 - For Sale
    2014 Taylor 114e
    1986 Martin MC28 Acoustic/Electric
    Holden Village Taylor GS Mini & Mahogany GS Mini

I have a Kentucky 150 and an Eastman 515. I HAVE played some Eastman 315s, and they're far and away a superior instrument to the Kentucky 150. One of them was the best Eastman I've played! (There' are some very good Kentuckys at the higher end, but the 150 is nowhere near the quality of the Eastman 315.)

4. The following members say thank you to Laird for this post:

I think given those 2 Mandos, the Eastman md 305(A style 400 bucks?) and 315(F style but sound the same and 600 bucks?) are a grade above the 150. The Kentucky 900, at just over 900 bucks, is obviously another grade above that. One more grade above that, and you're at 2500 and not much reason to go any higher than that for me anyway. Once you get over that, youre mostly really paying for name/status/and eye candy at that level--least for me. I'm lucky in that my ear isnt good enough to appreciate the difference between a really good 2500 dollar mando, and a really good 5000, 10,000, or 20,000 dollar one.

But there is a big jump at those early price points.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Most people at the Café seem to think the Kentuckys have a drier woodier sound than the Eastmans. That is definitely the case between mine but I own the Eastman 815 and Kentucky KM-1000. Look for some YouTube clips or listen to the MP3 clips at the Mandolin Store of the two models. It's not the same as live and no two instruments of the same make and model sound exactly alike, but if you can't play them, that might be your best way to judge. I feel both companies produce very worthy instruments for their price points.

One responder suggested calling some stores which carried both. Along with his suggestion, I would strongly suggest calling Robert at Folkmusician.com who is also a board sponsor and in my experience, always honest and helpful. 1-800-493-4922
    Last edited by vegas; Aug-07-2013 at 10:26am. Reason: add phone #

I dont think the 315 is as low end as its made it out to be. Mine is a monster, but theres always that chance that you will get an ok, good, or great one as with any instrument bought unseen. Compared to a 150 though, apples and oranges, all hand carved/made.

I agree with Vegas and shortymack. I like my Eastman md305 and won't sell it but my next mando will have a woodier tone and bigger frets just to shake things up. Leaning heavy toward the Kentucky 900 or 950.

Quote Originally Posted by joemcg View Post
    I've never owned an Eatman 315, although I do own a couple of Eastmans. I have owned a 150 and that's a darned nice mandolin for the money.

My guess is that they would be pretty much the same sound wise IF they were set up properly. Have you called one of the reputable dealers that advertise here to ask their opinion? I'd be inclined to call the Mandolin Store and the Mando Shop if I were considering such a move.

Another thought -- if you watch the classifieds here you might be able to pick up a used 315 and not have any more money in the two of them than you would have if you sold the 150 and purchased a new 315. then you could have MAS like many of us!

I shot the Mandolin Store an email (prior to this post) asking if they could give me a good comparison between the two mandolins and all I got back was a quick sales pitch telling me "The Eastman 315 is my go to mandolin", which I honestly find hard to believe, and "I don't think you will go wrong with the 315" so in the end I did not get my comparison. Luckily the good folks here at the Cafe DID NOT let me down and as always I appreciate their input. Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    I agree with Vegas and shortymack. I like my Eastman md305 and won't sell it but my next mando will have a woodier tone and bigger frets just to shake things up. Leaning heavy toward the Kentucky 900 or 950.
    Are the frets on the 315 the same as the Kentucky 150? My instructor let me borrow his Collings MT for the week and I love the big frets his mandolin.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    I shot the Mandolin Store an email (prior to this post) asking if they could give me a good comparison between the two mandolins and all I got back was a quick sales pitch telling me "The Eastman 315 is my go to mandolin", which I honestly find hard to believe, and "I don't think you will go wrong with the 315" so in the end I did not get my comparison. Luckily the good folks here at the Cafe DID NOT let me down and as always I appreciate their input. Thanks guys
    Well, I wouldn't be so hard on The Mandolin Store. They do have sound clips for both mandos on their website & that should help you with your decision. Also, when you do get around to purchasing, they do a great job of setting up the mando before shipping. I had a great experience buying my md-315 from them after a couple of good phone conversations. Yes, there are other Mandolin Cafe "approved" :-) vendors, but TMS has earned its reputation one customer at a time.

Just my .02,

Frank

Oh, I also wanted to say that the md-305 is probably a better direct comparison to the km-150. Closer to the price, too.

I do like my md-315, though. ;-)

Take care,

Frank

I've never played the km-150 but a friend has an Eastman 315 that's one of the best mandolins I've heard. No kidding. I'd have bought it myself if I could have.

Quote Originally Posted by eastman_315 View Post
    Well, I wouldn't be so hard on The Mandolin Store. They do have sound clips for both mandos on their website & that should help you with your decision. Also, when you do get around to purchasing, they do a great job of setting up the mando before shipping. I had a great experience buying my md-315 from them after a couple of good phone conversations. Yes, there are other Mandolin Cafe "approved" :-) vendors, but TMS has earned its reputation one customer at a time.

Just my .02,

Frank
    While sound clips may help some people, I don't think my ears are quite good enough to utilize sound clips to compare mandolins. I wasn't trying to sound like a disgruntle ass bad mouthing TMS I am sure they are a great mandolin dealership who has knowledgeable and reputable employees; however, after visiting their website and hearing such great things about their staff, I guess I was expecting a little more when I asked for help. So end the end I would still do business with them...and I should start working on my communication skills so not to sound like an ass

Quote Originally Posted by eastman_315 View Post
    Oh, I also wanted to say that the md-305 is probably a better direct comparison to the km-150. Closer to the price, too.

I do like my md-315, though. ;-)

Take care,

Frank
    Dont think so. The 305 is the A style equivalent to the 315. They are built, finished, and sound the same. The 305(runs about 400 bucks) is less money than the 315 only because its an Astyle.

I have played a Kentucky 150 and was quite impressed with it for the price point. I have also played a Kentucky 550 and although it was also nice for the its price, I narrowly preferred the Eastman 305. The 505(400 bucks) or 550(500 bucks) and the 305 are roughly within the same price range if I recall. The Kentucky had a thick finish and the Eastman a thin satin and that maybe is why? Also that was only a comparison of 2 individual instruments. I have not played others in that model line so take it for what its worth.

The Eastman is a more balanced tone. It sounds good. Not thin/tinny. Kentuckys, at least in the higher lines, have a rep for a more woody tone. One might sound better playing alone, one might cut through the mix better. Tones are like color, different ones for different things.

Yes, MSGRADY, the the Eastman's frets are smaller than the Kentuckys I think and the Kentuckys are already on the small side. Dont necessarily confuse fret size with ease of playing. Your teachers Collings was likely set up way better than the Kentucky 150 you pulled off the shelf at the store.
    Last edited by Astro; Aug-07-2013 at 5:00pm.

This may sound like blaspheme, but the tone of the "new" KM-150 and the Eastman is not that far off. The workmanship is night and day though so I wouldn't compare these as apples to apples. The 315 is a much nicer mandolin.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

Dont think so. The 305 is the A style equivalent to the 315. They are built, finished, and sound the same. The 305(runs about 400 bucks) is less money than the 315 only because its an Astyle.
    Right. That's why I said the md-305 is a better direct comparison to the KM-150 because they are both A-styles. The OP, though, did say he was considering the md-315, an F-style. The 305 & the 150 seemed a more "apples-to-apples" comparison to me.

I still like my md-315, though. :-)

Take care,

Frank

I owned the MD-305 A-style Eastman up until recently and loved it . I sold it to purchase the Md 315 F-style . However , at the time , the Md 315 was out of stock nearly everywhere I looked . So I explored options and the Kentucky 150 and 250 came into the picture . I really loved the sound of both of these Kentucky models ...seemed warmer , louder with nicer bottom end and thicker mids. However the radiused fretboard on the Eastman won hands down in the playability department compared to the flat Kentucky KM 150 fretboard which , to me , seemed slower. The Km-250 with the radiused neck would be worth your attention , I think , if you like the tone of your km 150.

Actually I misread the OP and didn't realize you already had the KM150. I thought you were comparing the 2 models to purchase one.

Since you already have a great starter mando, I'd just keep it, make sure its set up right and play the stink out of it and save your money for something further up the model lines than the Eastman.

Actually I misread the OP and didn't realize you already had the KM150. I thought you were comparing the 2 models to purchase one.

Since you already have a great starter mando, I'd just keep it, make sure its set up right and play the stink out of it and save your money for something further up the model lines than the Eastman.
    Would the Eastman 315 not be a step-up from the Kentucky KM150? If not, then what would be a good step-up? w/o breaking the $1K mark?

The Kentucky KM900 would be a noticeable step up for under 1k. Or the KM 950 if you want bigger frets and radiused board. J Bovier has gotten recent accolades in this sub k category and maybe worth checking out but I have never played one.

Yes the Eastman 315 is a step up from what you have. But maybe just not that big of one. (See Folkmusicians comment above). But the 315 may be the best F style under 1k and justifiable if you must have an F style. I love the look. But it sounds the same as the 305 which is 200 dollars less. So for me an upgrade would be one of tone or playability.

I'm less concerned with looks or style. I have the cloths to prove it.

Quote Originally Posted by MSGrady20 View Post
    Would the Eastman 315 not be a step-up from the Kentucky KM150? If not, then what would be a good step-up? w/o breaking the $1K mark?
    Yes, in my opinion it is a significant step up. If nothing else, see Robert Fear's comment on workmanship above.

I was in one of my favorite music stores a few days ago in hopes of playing an Eastman 515 and a Breedlove OF VTG. Unfortunately the store had neither in stock, but did have a 315 hanging on the wall so I picked it up to play it. I was thoroughly impressed. The fit and finish were very good, and the sound and playability were simply excellent. I would dare say the 315 sounds as good as the 515 with a few less bells and whistles. I think it's a hard instrument to beat at its price point.

Mike