Thread: Why don't we have a "Best Of..." forum section?

Default Why don't we have a "Best Of..." forum section?

On some forums, especially those for information sharing, there would be something along the lines of a "Best Of [forum name]" Sub-Forum that contains the most useful or informal threads made on the given forum. With that in mind, should MandolinCafe carry such a Sub-Forum? For example, there are a lot of "First Mandolin" threads that are made, followed by posts stating something along the lines of "This is asked too much/look at previous threads". With a Sub-Forum such as a "Best Of" styled category, a thread can be made giving this information out with any searches having to be made. A Sub-Forum of this nature categorizes all of the most informational threads that could be useful to anyone, as well can make sure common information is covered and not asked as frequently.

2. The following members say thank you to Jordan Mong for this post:

Jim 

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why don't we have a "Best Of..." forum section?

The best mandolin for the $XXX money has changed over the years since the site has existed. I think the folks who tell new members to search the archives are doing them a disservice... just don't write a response. There are plenty of other new members who have had good experiences and will share them with another new member.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JEStanek For This Useful Post:

I believe that Scott tried a FAQ but that became much too much work to keep up. The forum works more or less organically and yes, you can search for recent threads asking for beginning mandolins and there are posters who answer the newbies.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I always thought that was a really cool thing about this site. No matter how many people ask, I have $500 what mandolin should I get? or take all my strings off and change them or do one at a time? A couple people always respond. They may follow up their answer with and check some previous posts, but they answer first.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

How would we ever agree on what went in there?

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OldSausage For This Useful Post:

I suppose we could establish a ratings system, or just unanimously decide. I believe that important threads with a great deal of information should be archived within it. Any information on luthierie, playing techniques, gear, or even setting up, or just plain and simple common problems or questions. Unlike a FAQ, this Sub-Forum would carry much more information, being useful to more than just new comers. All the information would be gathered in one place, rather than searching, and many new things could be learned and easily accessed.

EDIT: Not to mention also giving praise to ground breaking or very interesting posts.

10. The following members say thank you to Jordan Mong for this post:

Londy 

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgehead View Post
    just unanimously decide
    Lolz - have you ever been to this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgehead View Post
    Any information on luthierie, playing techniques, gear, or even setting up, or just plain and simple common problems or questions... All the information would be gathered in one place, rather than searching, and many new things could be learned and easily accessed.
    But this description covers about a million threads, I don't think it would help much to gather a million threads into one place. The Google search is remarkably effective at this kind of sifting anyway. Just do a Google search with prefix site:www.mandolincafe.com followed by your keywords. Google already seems to know which threads people found useful, by some mysterious process.

12. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

I like the cafe just as it is. I would not appreciate it having the life organized out of it. Besides who's going to decide what the best threads are? There is nothing wrong with expending some of our own energy in our exploration of playing our mandolins.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Lolz - have you ever been to this forum?
    No, not until recently. Well, not as a member, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    But this description covers about a million threads, I don't think it would help much to gather a million threads into one place. The Google search is remarkably effective at this kind of sifting anyway. Just do a Google search with prefix site:www.mandolincafe.com followed by your keywords. Google already seems to know which threads people found useful, by some mysterious process.
    To say that would mean the person would have certain key words already in stock, so the search function here would serve that same purpose. A "Best of" thread could carry information that one might not have thought of at the time, if ever. This gives members and guests the ability to just access a random amount of highly informational subjects. Again, all the threads within would carry quality information, posts, and would be easily accessible by anyone.
    Plus, who knows, it may encourage others to make much more higher quality posts, as well. This function would serve many purposes at once in a some what easy manner.

Blog Entries

This forum functions well as it is. There are a ton of often asked questions. Some of those could benefit from a best of or stickies but some change with time.

***disclaimer - Usually I will search the forum and provide the OP with links before I say the following***

Ironically, this question and/or suggestion has been asked before and you can find if if you search.

Seriously. I even asked that once and Scott replied. He forgoes stickies and "Best Of" devices in order to keep the M/C from going stale and remain a living, breathing environment. So, newbies will continue to post questions, members will continue to ignore or reply. The M/C stays alive. After I thought about it it seems like the best solution. Besides, I dread forums with a million stickies.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

16. The following members say thank you to greg_tsam for this post:

That makes sense. I did try to search to see if a thread like this existed. However "Best, of, forum" were too broad of terms.
    Anyways, it was just an idea. One massive mandolin information dump does sound nice, though.

Constantly In Search Of.. Michael Bridges's Avatar
    Blog Entries

One massive mandolin information dump does sound nice, though.
    That's a pretty good description of the Cafe as-is!
    Honestly, I believe the "Best of" is so fluid with mandolins and equipment, that it would be impossible to maintain it properly.
    Music speaks to us all. And to each of us, she speaks with a different voice.

J Bovier A5 Tradition

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post
    The best mandolin for the $XXX money has changed over the years since the site has existed. I think the folks who tell new members to search the archives are doing them a disservice... just don't write a response. There are plenty of other new members who have had good experiences and will share them with another new member.

Jamie
    That is very true, which is why I cringe when I hear someone tell a newb: "I bought an Acme XXX two years ago, and it's the best mandolin by far for the money." While this may have been true two years ago, things can change fairly quickly.

Which is why my advice does not. Check with one two of the sponsors for this site. They should be able to tell you what's available and what's a good value. Then maybe come in here and ask specific questions about the models you have in mind.

So while it doesn't answer the question of which mandolin to buy, a FAQ like that could easily tell you how to start your search.
    A quarter tone flat and a half a beat behind.

Hey "SLUDGEHEAD"...........and welcome!

It seems to me that what you are asking is not what is best,but what is most popular.The term best is completely relative.
    It is horses for courses,and what I think is best for me may not be best for you.

Part of the attraction of the Cafe for me is the different and varied replies to any specific subject.It helps me to make an informed decision as to to what is right for me.

I find it refreshing when a new member has new and original ideas.

I am sure we have not heard the last of SLUDGEHEAD.
    D MAC S

Quote Originally Posted by JEStanek View Post

Jamie
    I agree with Jamie, advising one to just search can come off as harsh (although probably not intended). I always feel like a moron when I try to search a topic, I seem to get threads that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for so I give up.

Oh yes, Welcome sludgehead!
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jim simpson View Post
    I agree with Jamie, advising one to just search can come off as harsh (although probably not intended). I always feel like a moron when I try to search a topic, I seem to get threads that have nothing to do with what I'm looking for so I give up.
    Empower yourself: forum searching demystified

23. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

Even if there was a FAQ, people would still not find it or use and ask the same questions in the forums. They don't use the search function, why would they use a FAQ?
    Living’ in the Mitten

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Ostrander For This Useful Post:

Actually there is a ton of information on this site outside the forum and people rarely go there. To be honest, I rarely go there. The questions about the best pick, the best strings, the best mandolin under X dollars changes every now and then.... OK, quite often. I've always wanted to do a time line that reflects the best inexpensive mandolin, the best strings, and the best pick over the years based on forum messages.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    Even if there was a FAQ, people would still not find it or use and ask the same questions in the forums. They don't use the search function, why would they use a FAQ?
    Truer words, bubba, have never been spoken.
    Breedlove Quartz FF with K&K Twin - Weber Big Horn - Fender FM62SCE
    Wall Hangers - 1970's Stella A and 60's Kay Kraft

Whether you slow your roll or mash on it, enjoy the ride.

I am routinely surprised (and pleased) that whenever I do a search for something/anything related to the mandolin, there are always at least a handful of M/C strings that come up in the first or second result slot...says something about the breadth of what's already here, and the fact that the little robots are already combing this site pretty hard and cataloging what they find.

Way to go Scott and company!
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo