Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking for F-style Mandocellos

Default Re: Looking for F-style Mandocellos

Quote Originally Posted by Sludgehead View Post
    If there is any other information anyone can give me, that would be nice. But another thing I wish to point out, though, is that you seem to be offering luthiers or custom builds. Are there any places I can check out that do have them premade or resold, other than the classifieds here?
    You may be getting tired of hearing it, but the thing you're asking about -- an F-style mandocello -- is the most rare, and most expensive type of large-family mandolin you could possibly be asking about here on this forum. Which is why you're getting these replies.

I hope this doesn't sound too dismissive, because I can appreciate a desire... both aesthetic and tonally... to play one of these things. That's why I have my Weber F-style OM, after all. But you have to be realistic about the funds it will take to acquire something like this. You can't drive a Porsche on a Volkswagen budget, and you're asking about a Porsche-category instrument here.
    Lebeda F-5 mandolin, redwood top
    Weber Yellowstone F-5 octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by foldedpath View Post
    You may be getting tired of hearing it, but the thing you're asking about -- an F-style mandocello -- is the most rare, and most expensive type of large-family mandolin you could possibly be asking about here on this forum. Which is why you're getting these replies.

I hope this doesn't sound too dismissive, because I can appreciate a desire... both aesthetic and tonally... to play one of these things. That's why I have my Weber F-style OM, after all. But you have to be realistic about the funds it will take to acquire something like this. You can't drive a Porsche on a Volkswagen budget, and you're asking about a Porsche-category instrument here.
    Oh, no, I well understand that. I meant if there was anyplace to look that someone may be offering one of their own to sell. But I also want any other information of the instrument or any two cents on how it plays.

Does anybody even build an F-cello on spec? I doubt a small-shop luthier would commit the time and effort without having a good stiff deposit up front. I have a little less doubt that Weber might build one on spec, but only slightly less.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Does anybody even build an F-cello on spec? I doubt a small-shop luthier would commit the time and effort without having a good stiff deposit up front. I have a little less doubt that Weber might build one on spec, but only slightly less.
    You lost me on that one -- no need special order as Weber does build f-style mandocellos routinely?

On the Morgan Monroe f-style mandocello -- it could be a figment. I know that I considered three options some years ago (it could have been 6-8 years) before getting side tracked on mandolas for a while. The options at the time were to get a new Weber, or buy a 1980's Kentucky (Japanese model -- owned by a friend here in town), or a third less expensive option -- I just can't remember what that "third option" was but Morgan Monroe sticks in my head. It was definitely a pac-rim contender.
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Aug-02-2013 at 8:51am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Sludgehead: Lovely name BTW
    I would assume that you are also aware that the F-style is merely cosmetic and the tone will not vary much from the other shapes (2 point or "lowly" oval shaped. So you are essentially paying for some cosmetic appointments.

I had a friend who had Lawrence Smart build him an f-style mandocello but I believe that it cost somewhere around $15,000. A vintage K4 (the only scroll model mandcello that Gibson made in the teens/twenties) goes for upwards of $10,000 I believe. They are pretty rare.

Then again, here is a Loar era one for lots of bucks: http://www.billcampbanjos.com/BG_67_...ndocelloK4.htm

Jim Triggs builds them for $12k.

As for the above discussion of Weber mandocellos, I would tend to agree with Martin and that although they picture a bunch of mandocello models I would not think that Weber would always have them in stock ready to ship. I actually clicked on the buy it button and the web site directed me to the dealer directory listed by state.

If the OP is interested tho, I would recommend contacting Weber directly and asking whether they have one in stock, price etc. I would imagine that they would ship it to the nearest dealer.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-Weber-Y...item51aeb8b46e

Beautiful IMHO, but not quite there yet!

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    Beautiful IMHO, but not quite there yet!
    Not quite where?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Not an F style, but still beautiful and I am sure would be a fantastic way to start.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Sludgehead: Lovely name BTW
    I would assume that you are also aware that the F-style is merely cosmetic and the tone will not vary much from the other shapes (2 point or "lowly" oval shaped. So you are essentially paying for some cosmetic appointments.
    I believe the F-style actually has less resonance or tone than A-style models, or so I've heard. I am aware of that, though. The F-style just has a certain vibe to it, looking more like a classical instrument mixed with a backwoodsy type instrument. It has a nostalgic feel and look to it that I just love.

Well, if you love it enough to plunk down $1,200 to $2,000 extra, that's your prerogative, I suppose. But that amount or more would seem to be the differential between an A-style and an F-style.

A secondhand Eastman guitar-style or Weber A-style cello will hold its value pretty well. So if you want to get started on cello, you could get yourself one of those, and keep saving your pennies for an F-style in the meantime. When the time comes, sell your old cello for what you have in it and upgrade to the F.

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Once again, not an F-style but this guy makes some pretty resonant-sounding (at least on the video) mandocelli. He even makes a 5 course mandocello which can also be termed a liuto cantabile.

Dammann's mandocelli.

Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

On getting a Weber F-style mandocello...

I just made an inquiry with the local distributor here -- surprisingly the salesman who took the call knew what mandocello was and that they had none in stock in the four outlets in town. Now that was a shock.

But he said he would find out and he did. About an hour later I got a call saying he had talked to Weber sales and was informed that they had no F-style mandocellos in inventory at this time -- they do have some A- models for sale around the country.

If I ordered a Rawhide model today the price is $6900 and I could expect January, 2014 delivery. So that's how it is. For what it is worth there is a price increase scheduled for the entire line in about mid-August.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

[QUOTE=Sludgehead;1188293] The F-style just has a certain vibe to it, looking more like a classical instrument mixed with a backwoodsy type instrument. QUOTE]

Really? The F-style is way more Art Nouveau then classical, classical would be more lute like, face/top IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    But he said he would find out and he did. About an hour later I got a call saying he had talked to Weber sales and was informed that they had no F-style mandocellos in inventory at this time -- they do have some A- models for sale around the country.

If I ordered a Rawhide model today the price is $6900 and I could expect January, 2014 delivery. So that's how it is. For what it is worth there is a price increase scheduled for the entire line in about mid-August.
    Now do you believe me? Nobody, not even Weber, builds one of these things without money up front.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Once again, not an F-style but this guy makes some pretty resonant-sounding (at least on the video) mandocelli.
    You know, that does sound pretty nice. He sounds a little like Ramblin' Jack Elliott with a mandocello.

I have seen those before, but not sure I'd listened to the video clip. I think they're a little expensive for flattops, and the whole marketing approach is for guitar and bass players rather than mandolinists, but the tone seems to be there. That page has been up for at least a couple of years; interesting that the sideport models are the only ones he's managed to sell.

Mike Marshall has a nice F style Monteleone...

Guitar-bodied conversions are probably the most affordable to try out... several threads in CBOM on making your own... or ask Bernie...

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Mike Marshall has a nice F style Monteleone...
    Book him for a gig and he'll even let you play it! It actually feels and plays very similar to my Andersen A-style.

Mandocelli I have had:
    Gibson K1
    Gibson K2
    Ovation MC868
    Mendel
    Gypsy

Liuto Cantabile (5 course CCGGDDAAEE):
    Crump Cittern
    Ovation 12-string conversion - top neck of a double-neck
    Yamaha 12-string conversion

A Liuto Cantablie, I'm gearing up to build one, circa a 24" scale, 5 course. What was the scale length on the one you had/played Eddie?

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Mandocelli I have had:
    Gibson K1
    Gibson K2
    Ovation MC868
    Mendel
    Gypsy

Liuto Cantabile (5 course CCGGDDAAEE):
    Crump Cittern
    Ovation 12-string conversion - top neck of a double-neck
    Yamaha 12-string conversion
    Eddie, did you forget the Vega?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando View Post
    Now do you believe me? Nobody, not even Weber, builds one of these things without money up front.
    Well I guess I have to now! LOL!

But before they moved to Oregon the were building a few for inventory because I think the Mandolin Store had one for sale last winter. It makes sense business-wise I doubt they'd sell more than a few a year and 12K is a lot of inventory to carry I guess.

BTW if you go to Dammann's channel on YouTube he has short video on the philosophy of his mandocello builds. In addition to a truss you can adjust the neck angle at the neck block/heel -- that's pretty interesting. Here it is:
    Bernie
    ____

Stupid question, perhaps, but has anyone ever built an instrument in the mandolin family with three-string courses? I imagine that would be close to impossible on a mandolin or even mandola, but perhaps on larger family members like the octave mandolin and the mandocello, it may work.

Ja, there are all kinds of weird things. Check out the Mandolin Oddities thread.. There was even one in there with 4 courses of 5 strings a while back.
    3-strings per course are usually found on instruments called the tricordia or mandriola... Dave Hynds has some demos on youtube.

They are not what I'd call an improvement over a double courses.

The real question is whether you want an oval hole or f-holes. That's worth far more cogitation than body shape, in my opinion.

I have a vehement preference for oval holes on a mandocello. Most cheaper f-hole mandocellos I've heard in person sound like a guitar, and what's the point of that? Watch every mandocello clip on youtube you can find, and decide which one is best for you.