Thread: Top Five Mandolin CDs?

Default Top Five Mandolin CDs?

With our Mando & Banjo Week starting in a few days, our CD vendor asked me what would be the Top Five mandolin CDs he should try to keep in stock, so I thought I'd throw the question out to the Mando Brain Trust here on the Cafe.

How about it? Which five recordings would be representative of the breadth of the mandolin's possibilities? Please note that he didn't ask for the Top Five in a particular genre like bluegrass or swing, but five essential recordings that would show off the mandolin's range of expression in all its glory.

To make it a little easier, remember that the teaching staff will bring their own CDs, so there will already be recordings here by Mike Marshall, Radim Zenkl, Emory Lester, Don Stiernberg, Caterina Lichtenberg, Marla Fibish and Adam Tanner.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are eager to hear your opinions...
    Jim Magill, Director
    The Swannanoa Gathering
    Warren Wilson College
    PO Box 9000
    Asheville, NC 28815-9000
    828-298-3434
    jmagill@warren-wilson.edu
    www.swangathering.com

Default Re: Top Five Mandolin CDs?

Oh boy, How High The Moon...

First DGQ
    Sam And Alan Together Again For The First Time (maybe on CD?)
    Herschel Sizemore - Bounce Away (CD?)
    Alan Bibey and Wayne Benson - Mandolin Chronicles
    Bobby Clark - One-Legged Gypsy (CD?)

now I feel dirty...

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

1. Tone Poets (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/tone-poets/id79262423)
    why: colection of mandolin music (all Genres [classical, jazz, bluegrass, choro etc.), stellar instruments (Lloyd Loar F-5, 000-45 Martin), extremely well played. A great introduction into mandolin music.

2. Traversata (alternatively Serenata) (http://www.aonzo.com/docs_en/products_en.htm)
    why: Italian/classical music, Traversate is extremely well recorded with a vast variety of US-immigrant classical music, Serenata is a wonderfull selection of old world classical/italian Music.

3. Ricky Skaggs and Friends sing the Songs of Bill Monroe (http://skaggsfamilyrecords.com/music...gs-bill-monroe)
    why: You canīt get around Bill Monroe. But before being introduced to the masterīs music, it may be a Little more listener friendly to have a more "modern", and maybe more aproachable selection of material rather than having a possible culture shock. Extremely well played it makes you want to listen to Bill Monroeīs music. (Bluegrass)

4. Dave Apollon The Man With The Mandolin (http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/acd27.html)
    why: The artistry of Dave Apollon is unequalled. The music is aweinspiring. (Jazz/Classical)

5. Tone Poems II (http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/acd18.html)
    why: Jazz music at its best, played on a variety of historically important instruments

Duh! I just read that Tone Poets is out of print... yet downloadable. So that makes it necessary to ad another one.

- Not for kids only (http://www.acousticdisc.com/acd_html/acd9.html)
    why: Introduce your kids to wonderful music (teens threepoint F-4), Brahms ending (Guten Abend Gute Nacht) to "Oh Shennandoah", very nice songs, makes you want to pick imediately.

Of course you may feel dirty because you left gazillions of artists and milestone records out (Jacob do Bandolim, Jethro Burns, Tiny Moore, Johnny Gimble, Blue Sky Boys etc. etc.)

But I think that those recordings are so highly instructive that once you have them, you are willing and able to make your choices and to stumble on most of those that were left out.
    Olaf

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

1. Playing it Straight Homer and Jethro
    2. Tone Poems I Grisman and Rice
    3. Skaggs and Rice for duet work simple and clean
    4. Art in America Dave Peters
    5. I'm betting on Thiele's Bach recording as being "that" good
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Just one for me this morning - The Mandolin Chronicles (Bibey/Benson). Incomparable tone and very fine, clean picking. Spare, tasteful use of some recording tricks (echo, scratchy vinyl LP sound) that actually add to the music being played. A variety of styles, including bluegrass, swing, and blues.

Always those 2 fine mandolins up front in the mix - I can't think of another recording that to my ears has a better mandolin sound. It's been on constant rotation in my iPod since it came out, and I'm not tired of it yet!
    Clark Beavans

Here goes... Bluegrass Mandolin Extravaganza
    Doyle Lawson- Tennessee Dreams
    Alan Bibey & Wayne Benson-Mandolin Chronicles
    Jethro Burns-Bye Bye Blues
    Jethro Burns-Swing Low Sweet Mandolin
    Whew!

Pizza Tapes

Jethro Burns LIVE

Nickel Creek (1st CD)

Greatful Dawg

Compton's Rotten Taters

Do not neglect "Songs of Our Fathers." A collection of Jewish music by David Grisman and Andy Statman. Absolutely super mandolin playing and arrangements and outstanding musical selections. A GREAT introduction to Klezmer music if you are not familiar with that genre.

Registered Mandolin User mandopete's Avatar

From a bluegrass perspective here are my choices (in no particular order):

Bill Monroe & Doc Watson - Live Duet Recordings 1963-1980
    John Reischman - Up In The Woods
    Herschel Sizemore - My Style
    Red Allen & Frank Wakefield - The Kitchen Tapes
    David Grisman & Tony Rice - Tone Poems

As I look at my list I realize that 3 of these recordings are mandolin/guitar duets. To me that is one of the best settings for the mandolin.

I also noticed that most of these recordings feature a Lloyd Loar mandolin!
    2015 Chevy Silverado
    2 bottles of Knob Creek bourbon
    1953 modified Kay string bass named "Bambi"

Registered User grassrootphilosopher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    1. Playing it Straight Homer and Jethro
    2. Tone Poems I Grisman and Rice
    3. Skaggs and Rice for duet work simple and clean
    4. Art in America Dave Peters
    5. I'm betting on Thiele's Bach recording as being "that" good
    Nice choice: 1. Comedy/Jazz, 2. vintage instruments, 3. guitar and mando duett with awesome vocals (this record is a third part harmony practice record), 4. great modern mando Music, 5. Bach, and that is where mando music is headed these days.
    Even though Iīm not a Thile fan your choice consists of excellent music and musicianship.

Quote Originally Posted by farmerjones View Post
    Pizza Tapes

Jethro Burns LIVE

Nickel Creek (1st CD)

Greatful Dawg

Compton's Rotten Taters
    Great choice also:
    Pizza Tapes = Rock legend plays acoustic with mando legend (you could have given Shadie Grove; thatīs an equally great colaboration between Garcia and Grisman)
    Jethro Burns LIVE = anything Burns burns
    Nickle Creek = thatīs what probably turned on many people to play the mandolin
    Greatful Dawg = excellent movie, soundtrack is equally good, but I think the movie is elementary.
    Rotten Taters = I think that this one is a must in each mando CD-collection. This is mando solo playing at its best.

Quote Originally Posted by calden View Post
    Do not neglect "Songs of Our Fathers." A collection of Jewish music by David Grisman and Andy Statman. Absolutely super mandolin playing and arrangements and outstanding musical selections. A GREAT introduction to Klezmer music if you are not familiar with that genre.
    Yes, thatīs why itīs so awful to have to limit yourself to 5 CDs. Statmanīs music is really important culturally and musically. But I daresay sometimes it is not for the faint of heart.
    Olaf

Tony Rice Unit - Backwaters (J Reischman on mandolin - my favourite playing by him)

The Melonious Quartet - Au Sud De La Mandoline. Outstanding French group - this is probably their best.

Marshall/ Thile - Into The Cauldron. An amazing romp through all kinds of stuff with only two mandolins (actually a little mandocello as well). I love the sound of the recording.

Shooglenifty - Venus In Tweeds. Classic first album by the great Scottish Acid/Croft outfit.

David Grisman Quintet - Quintet 80. Had to include something by the Dawg. Always loved this album.

Should also really include Serenata by Carlo Aonzo and Beppe Gambetta, and Flatbush Waltz by Andy Statman
    David A. Gordon

Registered User Justus True Waldron's Avatar

Hmmm.... For me it would have to be:

Chris Thile - Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    David Grisman/Andy Statman - Songs of Our Fathers
    Tony Rice - Acoustics
    Wayne Benson/Alan Bibey - Mandolin Chronicles
    Any of John Reischman's albums

All of these are albums that for me substantially changed my ideas of what could be done with a mandolin, and remain things I go back to for inspiration.
    - 2004 Macica A
    - 1952 Selmer Centered Tone
    - Eastwood electric mandola
    (and lots more)

Does't the music industry track sales ? ASCAP? BMI
    they certainly spend money scouting out un licensed covers of music being played by anyone.

but I guess this is a personal choice list your favorite .. question ..

Carry on ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture