Thread: Antique ~ Vintage 1916 GIBSON F~2 F2 Mandolin

Registered User Cat's Got Strings's Avatar

Default Antique ~ Vintage 1916 GIBSON F~2 F2 Mandolin

A Note of Caution. Antique-Vintage-1916-GIBSON-F-2-F2-Mandolin Just thought I should point out that this mandolin sold about two weeks ago here . I saw and photographed the F2 and, while it is very pretty and mostly original, Handel tuners, tailpiece and cover, pickguard -though loosely attached, the condition was not what was stated in the eBay listing.

In answer to very specific questions on the original listing, the seller answered (and I quote) "NO top sinkage.....Neck is straight....NO CRACKS what so ever." Unfortunately, not only was there an old repaired crack on the top which had not been mentioned (and would be completely acceptable - if mentioned), but the top was sunken and split under the fretboard, the back was separating at the heel, and the neck was openly cracked at the volute and peghead as well!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Top Crack.jpg 
Views:	548 
Size:	166.9 KB 
ID:	104890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunken Arch.jpg 
Views:	535 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	104891Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Back Separation.jpg 
Views:	487 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	104892Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracked Neck 1.jpg 
Views:	499 
Size:	137.2 KB 
ID:	104893Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracked Neck 2.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	104894Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cracked Neck 3.jpg 
Views:	460 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	104895Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Peghead Crack.jpg 
Views:	406 
Size:	113.0 KB 
ID:	104896

I hate to be the snitch, because there was a complete refund including postage, but rather than owning up, the seller's response was "I never said it was perfect"!

So re-posting without being honest about the condition puts me in the position of ignoring something I know is wrong, or trying to save someone else the grief of not knowing what's coming, and paying a price that IMHO doesn't match the merchandise. For the seller to say "I've owned this since 1983, there has been no repairs since then" either means the neck is still cracked, or it has been repaired since last week. There isn't enough resolution or focus in his photos to see what's up.

I see a lot of people are watching this - just thought inquiring minds might want to know.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cat's Got Strings For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Antique ~ Vintage 1916 GIBSON F~2 F2 Mandolin

And I see you had the courage to leave appropriate feedback to warn off other potential marks.

When the description is as different from the condition as this one, you aren't being a snitch, you are a whistle blower who is protecting the public from deceptive practices.

Welcome to the Café!

4. The following members say thank you to vegas for this post:

Thanks for the welcome and the support. Since the issue had been resolved through eBay with a full refund, I wasn't going to post any feedback - until I saw him re-list the same instrument without honestly disclosing the condition. So the seller has the nerve to reply to my negative feedback "Buyer wanted to KEEP item & demanded 50% credit Tried to SCAM me Refunded + " !! I tried to "scam" him? I didn't "demand" anything, I offered as a resolution to either return the instrument for a full refund OR if he wished to refund half the cost, I would keep it and pay to have it professionally restored. That is to my mind negotiating terms for resolving a transaction that was already derailed by the rather large distance between what was promised and what was delivered.

Interesting...on his site there is no shot of the instrument where the break would be visible....
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

What makes him think the next buyer won't notice these major issues too?

He is now claiming that there has been a neck repair but if you zoom in on the spot it looks to be broken NOW with nothing that would even make you think that a repair had ever been attempted

I would almost give him credit for updating the listing with that photo of the cracked neck (which was the deal breaker for me), except that the description remains misleading about what has been done to address the issue and when! Apparently someone has made an offer - wish I knew how much!

Notice that the seller does not specialize in musical instruments. They seem to just sell whatever turns up at the yard sales. Spending big money to purchase a mandolin (or anything else) from such a seller is always a big risk. I have been a registered eBay seller since 1998, but have specialized generally in things I know - camera eqpt at first and then moved into ham radio eqpt after digital photography became the norm.

Over the past couple of years we have sold a few household items that we were NOT experts about, such as a couple of signed first edition novels my wife had collected. We made it as clear as possible that we were not experienced with these.

At its best eBay is "buyer beware"
    Eastman 804V
    Kentucky KM-505
    Banjos - Deering Goodtime 19 Fret Tenor & 5 string
    Guitars:

2006 Taylor GS5 - For Sale
    2014 Taylor 114e
    1986 Martin MC28 Acoustic/Electric
    Holden Village Taylor GS Mini & Mahogany GS Mini

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barney 59 View Post
    He is now claiming that there has been a neck repair but if you zoom in on the spot it looks to be broken NOW with nothing that would even make you think that a repair had ever been attempted
    I was thinking that also but if you look closely at the pics the first buyer posted I wonder if there isn't a hint of old glue in those cracks?
    Whether repaired or not that mandolin took a very hard blow. Maybe dropped on the headstock?

To my thinking a crack like that would be worse than a break because you'd always be waiting for the eventual failure to happen and there really is no good way to get glue in there until it does break!
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Clearly deceptive. I wonder also if the offer was low enough to cover the undisclosed problems. I think Cats is about right with a 50% offer. I doubt he will end up with much more when he has to both pay and refund shipping. That will get costly.
    I have the world in a jug, and the stopper in my hand.