Thread: Looking for two O'Carolan mandolin tabs

Default Looking for two O'Carolan mandolin tabs

I have Butch Baldassari's beautiful Music of O'Carlan (sic) CD and am having trouble finding mandolin tab for two songs: Catherine Nowlan and Young William Plunkette Set. I did tab out the second one and can do the same with Catherine Nowlan, but it's sooo time consuming. I checked the O'Carolan tabs available on the site but neither one is on the list. Thanks if you can help.
    2011 Norris A-style, Kentucky 150 A-style, Romanian mountain dulcimer, "Wandervogel" 6-string lute-guitar, and 3 kazoos.

Default Re: Looking for two O'Carolan mandolin tabs

Do some research on Robin Bullock, he's well known for TOC and he may have a songbook or something.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Peggy,

I have tabbed out Catherine Nowlan for you using the simple melody from O'Neill. It does not have the grace notes or chords played by Mr. Baldasarri, but perhaps can be a place to start.

Evelyn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Catherine Nowlan.pdf  
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Catherine Nowlan Catty Nowlan TAB.pdf 
Views:	215 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	105119 I also found this tune in two other versions in Petrie's Complete Irish Music. His are both in minor keys (Dm and Ebm), whereas the one in O'Neill that is on the recording by Mr. Baldassari is in D major. I made notation and tab versions in case anyone would like to compare them. Perhaps the DM version and one of the Dm versions would make a nice medley.

You can get abc notation for all of O'Carolan's stuff here:

http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html

Paste that in over here:

http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php

and you can get sheet music, tab or whatever other formats you want.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Do some research on Robin Bullock, he's well known for TOC and he may have a songbook or something.
    Thanks for the plug! Can't help you with a book of my own, I'm afraid, but if you read music, my recommendation would be Carolan: The Life, Times and Music of an Irish Harper by Donal O'Sullivan. That's the definitive book on Carolan: all 200-whatever of his tunes in standard notation, and a biography that's a fascinating read.

The Old Music Project site http://www.oldmusicproject.com/occ/tunes.html is a monumental effort and a true labor of love. I have found it invaluable when searching for notations to tunes by O’Carolan, O’Neill, and other Irish and English composers. I bought the CD ROM with all the files about 3 years ago from Vince Brennan and it is immensely useful. Instructions for buying the CD ROM are on the website.

However, it looks like Catherine Nowlan is not among the 214 tunes in the O’Carolan collection, which is believed to be complete. I could not find the tune by name or by examining all the scores. The tune is in O'Neill (Music of Ireland: 1850 Melodies, 1903/1979; No. 652, pg. 117) but no composer information is given. Does anyone know how it was attributed to O’Carolan?