Thread: customer service

Default customer service

....nevermind.
    Last edited by shortymack; Jul-25-2013 at 2:26pm.

Default Re: customer service

It appears so. People no longer seem to expect good customer service. Many things online are automated so you don't even know if a person wrote that email or a computer program. As for in-person service, it's rare that it's anything more than adequate. So much so that if you do run into good customer service these days, you feel like you're in a movie or on another planet.

3. The following members say thank you to mandolirius for this post:

I deleted my OP thinking that people just dont want to hear it or care. Thanks for responding mandolirius, I totally agree with you. Businesses are only as good as their word. Thats why TMS, folkmusician and others who do what they say and say what they do are successful, unlike the ones who think they are doing you a favor. No ones perfect, but when you arent straightforward and dont show that you care about your customers you really have no business doing business.

5. The following members say thank you to shortymack for this post:

Shorty,
    I own a mobile windshield repair business and I often hear from my customers how they appreciate our customer service. My livelihood depends on treating my customers with good service and a lifetime repair warranty. If I do this I will have repeat customers for life, if I treat them badly they will go somewhere else. Every business should treat their customers as they expect to be treated when they go to another business. If they don't I hope they have money in the bank.

ACE hardware stores have very good customer services. If I am not sure about a replacement parts I need to buy, I just go to he local ACE hardware stores and there is always someone having the right knowledge to explain me and show me the parts I have to buy for my DYI repair work.

I wrote a response earlier but was afraid I sounded like a grumpy old man. After careful consideration, I decided I am a grumpy old man. The large chain stores (Ace Hardware notwithstanding) seem to replace blank-looking minimum wage employees every couple of months with new, untrained, uninterested employees who know nothing about the service or product and won't even pretend to care. The companies abandon all pretense of customer service but make enough money on volume. I can't imagine a smaller company, like the one you describe, doing this and expecting to survive.
    Collings MT0
    Morgan Monroe MVA-1

"Being Irish, he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

Well sticking with the hardware store theme, I can go closer to my home and wander around the box store home improvement store and not get a lick of help or I can drive a couple of towns over to where I'm from to a family owned hardware store that has been around and looked the same since I was a kid in the seventy's and say to the owner hey I need a bolt like this one and he knows just what I need. Customer service will make me a lifetime customer or make me tell everyone don't go there! Same thing with musical instruments, motorcycles, whatever.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

10. The following members say thank you to dusty miller for this post:

OK, real quick, heres what this is about... Last week my lady ordered something from a new pick maker on Wednesday and was hoping to get it near my birthday which was Sunday. The owner told her that it would be here by the beginning of the week, great! Well it never showed so she wrote them yesterday politely asking why and got a one sentence response "It was shipped today and will be there on time" (whatever that meant). No explanation, no apology, not even a hello.

I know its a small sale and dont want to sound petty but its the principle. Just a few kind words that make your customers feel valued goes a long way, especially when you dont do what you said you would.

I figured it wasn't about hardware stores lol. I don't think that's being petty at all, you are right about it being the principle. An explanation or acting or showing that you care makes a world of difference. If he couldn't get it there in time then he should have said so. A one word response doesn't make you feel like a valued customer. Doesn't matter if you spent $10 or $500' good service is good service or bad service it sounds like in your case.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

13. The following members say thank you to dusty miller for this post:

Shortymack,i know exactly where you're coming from. Some years back,i ordered a set of guitar bridge pins from a store over here in the UK. I phoned them on a Monday morning,payed for the pins with my debit card,& was then told that they'd have them in the post to me 'within 7 days' !!!!!. All that was needed was an ordinary envelope & a first class postage stamp to get them in the mail to me. Contrast that with me ordering & paying on line for a new armrest for my Stelling banjo to be sent from the US.That was on a Monday morning as well (i'm retired) - the armrest arrived on the following Friday morning. I buy my strings from a UK store these days - i order one day & receive the strings the following day.It doesn't get better than that & i'll stick with that sort of service & any company that provides it,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

15. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

I find that if I get excellent service I don't look around when ordering. Stew-Mac is a good example, their service is the best I've ever come across.

For my own business I estimate that over 30% of my sales are repeat customers, I take that as a sign folks are happy with my service.. I hope..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

17. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

I can vouch for that Trevor, top class customer service from TAMCO

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

19. The following members say thank you to Dave Hanson for this post:

I have a banjo in for repair with a Boston area luthier. I brought it in in October and was told it should be done in mid January. I waited until February before starting periodic inquiries every 6-8 weeks about the instrument which were never angry nor confrontational. He never returns phone calls and rarely answers email. It's still not done. I'm getting really mad.

I was in a similar situation with guitar builder Bill Tippin who also does first class repairs. He had a guitar of mine in for a lot of big work. He told me up front the queue was long, and whenever I checked in, someone either answered the phone, returned my call, or answered my email. That job took 9 months to finish and that didn't bother me a bit. The guitar was utterly transformed and I was treated wonderfully by everyone in that shop. What a difference.
    Steve

21. The following members say thank you to Steve L for this post:

Steve, I am going to assume you are not working with Yukon? If you want his contact info, shoot me a PM. I don't know if he works on banjos but it's certainly worth a call.
    "The paths of experimentation twist and turn through mountains of miscalculations, and often lose themselves in error and darkness!"
    --Leslie Daniel, "The Brain That Wouldn't Die."

Some tunes: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCa1...SV2qtug/videos

I've been thinking about buying some specific audio equipment for some time. It's available at the local 'big-box' guitar store, and available on-line at approximately the same price. I just haven't been in a hurry to shuck out the money I guess.

Last week I was out of town. As I often do, I found a local music store to browse (always interesting to see what, if any mandolins might be hanging around). I noticed the system, I've been thinking about buying on display. I made it clear to the sales-guy that I did not intend to buy anything at that time.
    "I'm a long way from home and I just can't be hauling a bunch of extra stuff around" I told him. "If you don't mind though, I'd like to ask you a couple of questions".
    "Be happy to help" he said.
    I asked about a few specs and if he'd had any customer-feedback (bad unintentional pun) about that system etc. He was obviously very knowledgeable. He took the time to cheerfully answer my questions. Unlike the guys at the big-box store, this guy acted as though he was happy to be employed and to be of service.
    I handed him my credit card.
    I was right. It was a pain hauling the extra box around.

24. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

I've been in business for myself on several fronts (musician , recording studio , building trades , teacher etc.) and one of the first things I learned about providing good timely service is this . Nothing is more rewarding or satisfying to my spirit than a happy, satisfied customer.

26. The following members say thank you to roysboy for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by dusty miller View Post
    Well sticking with the hardware store theme, I can go closer to my home and wander around the box store home improvement store and not get a lick of help or I can drive a couple of towns over to where I'm from to a family owned hardware store that has been around and looked the same since I was a kid in the seventy's and say to the owner hey I need a bolt like this one and he knows just what I need. Customer service will make me a lifetime customer or make me tell everyone don't go there! Same thing with musical instruments, motorcycles, whatever.
    I'm surprised to learn there is a family owned hardware store left. I thought they had all been driven out of business by the large chains who provide the non-service we've all come to expect.

And the chains succeeded because folks could save a few cents over the family business and didn't think about the service until it was too late. 'The best price isn't always the best deal.'

Something similar happens with music shops?
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

29. The following members say thank you to trevor for this post:

Customer service..
    In a nitshell... does not exist anymore except rarely.

Stew Mac is excellent. Lenox Saw Company, top notch.

Others who used to have excellent customer service but no more... Martin Guitar Co, Elderly has been steadily sliding.

In a former life.. I taught customer service ( among other disciplies) for well known European auto manufacturers. I held classes and siminars in customer service for dealer and factory personnel. Additionally I was a Field Service Manager for Mercedes-Benz of No AMeric.. ie a factory rep responsible for customer service in Nor Cal and Nevada. I was a District Service Mnager for Mazda Motors of America... Service manager of a Mada/Honda dealership.. and asst Service manager of a Rolls Royce, Bentley, Jaguar, Lotus, MG etc dealership.

I have been self employed for a number of years. Every business is a service business. Anyone can sell anything, service is what differentiates one business from another.

I also have come to the conclusion, and have a reoutation for being "grumpy' when ity comes to customer service.

In this "new age", customer service is not longer a part of the business equation as a general observations. This applies to banks, restaurants, tool stores... name it.

Family owned is no guarantee of good service... corporate owned is no guarantee of poor service.

the name of the game is profit. The attitude of business owners is that you are lucky we are , here.. if it wasn;t for the pesky ciustomers this would be a great business...
    pointing out that the norm seems to be that customers are disrespected if not held in contempt.

I choose to do business with those who understand what service is... demonstrates same... and I will go there even if it costs more.

"I've been in business for myself on several fronts (musician , recording studio , building trades , teacher etc.) and one of the first things I learned about providing good timely service is this . Nothing is more rewarding or satisfying to my spirit than a happy, satisfied customer. "

Well said and I will add that I educate my customers. Part of the job.

My policy/philosophy is simple.. I go to the wall every day in every way. And the reason folks do business with me, and that I have enough work years ahead.

31. The following members say thank you to Jeff Hildreth for this post:

Although it may be rare, customer service does exist. Dennis from the Mandolin Store is a prime example. I was dis-satisfied with the setup on a mando I got from him (its actually the one I own now), he found out and went out of his way to get in touch with me explaining the situation and made things right. He basically said what roysboy said that he doesnt want an unhappy customer and will do anything, even if its losing a few bucks to make them happy. That is what every business owner, whether selling 'blue chip killer' picks or gils should do IMO. I would never hesitate to do business with him again or recommend TMS to others as well.

Eastman is another great example of great service from a relatively large company. They stand by their products and are helpful and understanding, no questions asked or attitudes if something isnt right. Blue chip, Gibson, and many others like small builders here have it as well.

I appreciate the feedback folks. I was hesitant to post anything because I just didnt want to seem like 'one of those guys'. I have no problems giving praise to those who do things right and on the flipside feel that people should know when others dont.