Thread: Preston Tuner lubrication

Default Preston Tuner lubrication

I've got a brand new Portuguese mandolin with a Preston tuning machine which is extremely stiff to operate.
    I guess the screw thread (pitch) as well as its surface finish is too coarse.
    I thought I'd lubricate the screws to ease the problem, i.e, the tuning difficulty, a bit. What sort of a lubricant would you recommend for that application ?
    Thank you.

Musically Omnivorous tablaninja's Avatar

Default Re: Preston Tuner lubrication

I just fixed up an old bowl back for my buddy and used naphtha and an old tooth brush to clean the gunk off those tuners. I removed them first of course. Then I used TriFlo, found at bike shops, for lubrication and I'm very impressed. Having just researched this last week I learned that the majority opinion was to stay away from WD-40! Some folks spoke of using the powdered version of TriFlo but most luthiers don't agree. Good luck

Thanx Tablaninja, I've heard of TriFlo, and I can get it from a bike shop in my town.

I have some of the Portuguese Preston tuners from FolkReps, probably the same ones you have on yours.
    They look like this (from Dave Hynds):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fado_8_string_front.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	105360

If that's the same model, then I can tell you the thread pitch is appropriate and the ones I received are nicely machined. Since the blocks are brass and the threads are steel, I doubt you would gain much by adding Tri-Flo, but it can't hurt.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Here's a great reference for tuner maintainence in general.

May not apply to your type tuners as much.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

+1 on the teflon based lubes.

Suggest you start by disassembling and giving everything a really good clean - might have been stuck in shop gathering dust/muck perhaps?

Gents, thank you for the suggestions.
    Marty, my tuner looks like that, except the screw heads have flat tops, i.e., no little round finials like I see on yours.

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Gents, thank you for the suggestions.
    Marty, my tuner looks like that, except the screw heads have flat tops, i.e., no little round finials like I see on yours.
    Ah, do they have small squares on the end rather than the round thumbscrews? Like this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	small-final-finish-100_3500.JPG 
Views:	649 
Size:	301.1 KB 
ID:	105362

If so you'll never turn them by hand: you'll need an appropriately sized watch key to turn them. I think I use a 4mm key for mine, but if you look on places like eBay you can get keys for any size you want for a couple of quid.

Tavy, the thumbscrews seem identical to yours in the first picture (i.e., little knurled barrels), just that they are flat on top, while yours have some sort of a bead finial. I think you are right, I have been thinking about getting (or making) a little key contraption to turn them.