Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leo Posch in major accident

Blog Entries

Default Leo Posch in major accident

A note to those of you who know Leo Posch, a local instrument repair pro (with few equals--the best in my book--nicest guy in the world) and builder of guitars and mandolins was thrown from his off-trail bike yesterday while riding on a gravel road and was Life Flight'd to Topeka. Broken jaw in two places, broken nose, broken cheek bones, tracheotomy, possibly more. Apparently a dog started chasing and trying to bite him, in the process of attempting to outrun it, it ran in front of him and he went over the handlebars and face planted on the road.

Working with Jim Baggett at Mass Street Music and we're looking into setting up some kind of financial support system for the family through PayPal that goes directly to them. Leo is also well know in the local cycling community so lots of support for a great guy should be on its way soon.

As I know more I'll post updates.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Leo Posch in major accident

Best wishes and prayers for Leo and family.

He and his wife are great people, and I own one of his guitars.

I'll be happy to make a contribution. Thanks for posting.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Jim Baggett and I spoke last night about about a possible fundraising "Ride for Leo" within the Lawrence bicycle community. Scott, the PayPal account sounds great, too.

This is really tough news and, as a fellow cyclist and recipient of Leo's magic on my instruments, my thoughts and prayers are with he and Susan and their two wonderful kids.

Leo and his family are the best of the best in all aspects of life.
    Last edited by Jim Roberts; Jul-21-2013 at 7:25pm.

5. The following members say thank you to Jim Roberts for this post:

This is just terrible news! I've known Leo for a number of years as he has done repair work for me and I own one of his Dreads. You won't find a nicer person in his line of business. He's a fit fellow and I hope that will help hasten his recovery. Prayers are with Leo and his family.

Jeff Anderson

7. The following members say thank you to pickinNgrinnin for this post:

Even though I'm almost off the grid while on vacation, I got this news today via email from a friend who knows how I feel about Leo and his amazing gift of luthiery excellence. As already mentioned, he and Susan are some of the finest people that you could ever meet. I'll gladly help with a donation (or three) once something is set up. My Posch guitars just became even more meaningful to me than they already were. Heal fast, friend!

Gary

I went through a very similar situation with a dog while on my MTB, my thoughts go out to Mr. Posch and his family for a quick recovery. I will await any word of a fundraiser for him.

Best regards,
    JD

Quote Originally Posted by mandoblues View Post
    I went through a very similar situation with a dog while on my MTB, my thoughts go out to Mr. Posch and his family for a quick recovery. I will await any word of a fundraiser for him.

Best regards,
    JD
    Same here just not as serious. Don't know Leo personally but I'll be happy to contribute.

LL

Blog Entries

We decided to host a donation starting point on the Cafe since Mass Street Music's sites are hosted within content management systems that are difficult to embed the proper codes for PayPal unless you have those plug-ins and experience. If you'd like to support their family, please do so using the link below:

Leo Posch Medical Fund

The funds here are directly send to Leo's PayPal account so all we're providing is a direct link into their account. We don't see any personal or credit card information or payments and don't want to!

Would appreciate those of you belonging to other forums where this is being discussed to share the link to the donation page. Currently discussed on the Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum and the Collings Guitar Forum, likely other locations. Thanks.

Also, without getting into specifics, yes, the family has medical insurance but with self-employment it's fairly high. That with co-pay and a lengthy recovery ahead we're looking at a total bill you don't want in your mail-box. Enough said.

He's a pretty salty banjo picker, also. Heal well and quickly, Leo.
    Mike Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Also, without getting into specifics, yes, the family has medical insurance but with self-employment it's fairly high. That with co-pay and a lengthy recovery ahead we're looking at a total bill you don't want in your mail-box. Enough said.
    Leo's treatment and other damages should be funded by the dog owner's liability insurance. He needs a lawyer.

Blog Entries

This note from my contact at Mass Street Music:

Leo is out of ICU but after having a second surgery - this time to fuse 3 neck vertebrae. They wanted to stablize them in case of future impact.

For those local, Channel 6 came to Mass. St. to do a feature piece for the evening news. Don't know if that's scheduled for tonight or tomorrow. I was invited but bowed out of that one telling Jim Baggett he's Mr. TV (from Antiques Road Show)!

15. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post
    Not to mention lost income. If you're laid up and can't work, those bills keep coming in. That's my biggest fear if I get injured or sick. I can probably come up with the monster deductible my self employed, advancing age situation requires, but no work = no income.

17. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

19. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post:

Thanks for the heads up. Donation made.
    Here's hoping for a quick and successful recovery.

Blog Entries

NEW: A benefit concert is being planned. Contact middayramblers at gmail dot com for information.

Thanks Scott for bringing this to our attention. Paypal makes donating easy.
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Its not often we are asked to help out here in our small town cafe.
    this is a good time to pitch in and lend a hand.
    Thanks Scott for making this happen.
    Thomas Quinn

Can someone who knows, please update us on Leo's condition?
    "Listen here Skippy. This here mandolin is older than your Grandpa, and costs more than a new Porsche, so no. No, I can't play any Whane Newton on it..."

I saw Leo today. He is healing, but it's going to be a long recovery. He is still in the hospital: but has been enjoying visits from friends. He cannot speak right now because of his broken jaw, but can communicate by writing. He likes to just have people talk to him.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leo's Sister For This Useful Post:

Leo is HOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!
    Thank you to all of you for your thoughts and prayers. God listened to all of us!
    Angela

28. The following members say thank you to Leo's Sister for this post:

Great news! God does hear us! My prayers will be for a swift and full recovery.

That is awesome news, and a big sigh of relief.

I don't have any Paypal, but sent them a check today.

Thanks very much for the update.
    Chris Cravens

Girouard A5
    Montana Flatiron A-Jr.
    Passernig Mandola
    Leo Posch D-18

Leo's Sister, I am wondering what exactly happened to the dog. Did the authorities pick him up? Is the owner being charged?
    "Listen here Skippy. This here mandolin is older than your Grandpa, and costs more than a new Porsche, so no. No, I can't play any Whane Newton on it..."

I can't find a strict liability or similar dogs at large law in KS. So I don't see a mechanism for charging the owner. If there is an owner. Is useful to have such laws. So far in this household dogs at large have caused ripped loose thumb tendon, smashed in cheekbone, severe concussion, avulsion fracture of ankle, spiral fractures of tibia and fibula. Resulting in 5 surgeries so far, 3 plates, 2 pins, and about $4500 in property damage. Two incidents, three people. Without the dogs-at-large law we have that might well have been uphill to collect anything.

It's often hard to find the dog. Then it's "not my dog." Etc.

Best wishes to Leo et al.
    Stephen Perry

Blog Entries

Here's the poster for the benefit concert being held this coming Friday. Thanks to everyone that has chipped in their support. You'd have to know Leo and Susan personally to understand just how much these two and their family are loved in this community.

34. The following members say thank you to Scott Tichenor for this post: