Thread: Classical Guitar and Mandolin Duet

Default Classical Guitar and Mandolin Duet

I have been playing the mandolin for about a year and a half now but mainly bluegrass. My good friend is a classical guitarist and he wants me to start a duet with him. I am pretty beginner when it comes to sight reading but I have had some practice with it. Tabs would be better but I know most classical music is noted, not tabbed. Can anyone suggest a good book for both classical guitar and mandolin? Thanks

Default Re: Classical Guitar and Mandolin Duet

Well, for one there are 14 pieces for mandolin and guitar on the FMI site. The direct link for those specific pieces are here.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

On a more basic level, there are many published collections of duets for either flute or violin with classical guitar that you could play from. Student level stuff by people like Furstenau, arrangements of well-known light classic pieces, etc.

A book I have that I have enjoyed a lot is ny Allan and Aleksandra Alexander: "Music of Spain & South America for the Mandolin
    and Guitar." Lots of nice pieces for mando and guitar; many are not hard to play.

The Butch Baldassari/John Mock book Cantabile is easily available (even as an ebook) from Mel Bay and contains a nice mix of easier and harder pieces. Your guitarist friend won't find them boring and you can work on your reading by starting with the easier pieces. You can also buy the CD and play along.

John G.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Well, for one there are 14 pieces for mandolin and guitar on the FMI site. The direct link for those specific pieces are here.
    Some of these Calace pieces are not all that virtuosic. For instance, the Tarantella, Rondo and the VI Mazurca are all pretty approachable.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

thanks for all the positive feedback. I really appreciate it. I'll start with everything mentioned one at a time but any other recommendations are greatly appreciated! When things start working out between my guitarist friend and I, I will update you all.

A really great piece to try is Hermann Ambrosius' "Suite Galante" available from Trekel in Germany.