Thread: J Bovier A5

Default Re: J Bovier A5

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	105794
    Quote Originally Posted by NG53 View Post
    DavidB - I stand corrected. It was a Sam Bush model rather than a Master Model. I apologise for not getting it right.

My overall opinion is that the Kentucky KM1000 was still better balanced than yours even though yours had a deeper overall tone and was much louder on the chops. The KM1000 also skinny frets on a flat fingerboard which are not my favourite.
    NG53.Last time I checked in my Sam Bush Gibson, the sticker said "Gibson Master Model...as I said previously it was a Kentucky 900.
    Last edited by davidb1; Aug-22-2013 at 6:48am.

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davidb1 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0623.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	42.0 KB 
ID:	105794

NG53.Last time I checked in my Sam Bush Gibson, the sticker said "Gibson Master Model...as I said previously it was a Kentucky 900.

The sticker in my Flatiron Performer A model says the same thing...but we both know it ain't a Gibson MM.

I think that's just the nomenclature of their stickers; they actually write in the actual model info...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

3. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

Ihave a new Northfield MM a Gibson A9 love em both used to have a Jbovier A5 sold it locally would like to get it back,it was a real good mandolin but the wife needed a ring ! Time to get another Bovier! I was thinking the top was Engelmann??

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Markelberry View Post
    Ihave a new Northfield MM a Gibson A9 love em both used to have a Jbovier A5 sold it locally would like to get it back,it was a real good mandolin but the wife needed a ring ! Time to get another Bovier! I was thinking the top was Engelmann??
    Dude!

After all you've said bout that Northfield Big Mon, you still want to get another JBovier A5?

I thought I was bad...LOL!

If it was the A5 Special, the top is European Spruce, very close in tonal qualities to Engelmann...maybe you can trade down on the wife's ring, get a replacement & pick up another JBovier A5 Special...
    just kidding...I think...LOL!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

6. The following members say thank you to DataNick for this post:

You guys have me frothing at the mouth. I just messaged Jeff to see if he would build me a lefty A5? Time will tell. I told him not worry if he didn't because someone else will.

8. The following members say thank you to marcodamusician for this post:

Blog Entries

Hope jeff builds you that leftie! I love my JBovier a5 Sunburst. If I am not mistaken my 2013 jbovier a5 sunburst is European spruce? flamed maple back and sides. I love love the tone and the overall playability. It is more playable than my Crafter. I don't struggle to play the Crafter the Jbovier is just so much easier to play.

I hope to put photos of my first travel with my Jbovier on my page. Hope to do that over the weekend.

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

Vannillamandolin, I chatted with Jeff yesterday. He was super fast and responsive and very excited that I contacted him. He told me that the last time someone asked him about a lefty mando was a few years back and he has some old, F5's in stock. I told him I was looking for an A5 Sunburst. He told me he would get to work on designing a few lefty instruments because he should keep a few in stock. So, between him and Audey Ratliff I'll be in Mando heaven.