Thread: Changing strings

Default Changing strings

I normally change the strings when the G and D start buzzing or are damaged (they tend to get the wounded parts cut on the frets) .
    But I keep the A and E which are steel string. I only change the A or E when accidentally one cuts, and I only replace one of the two, not necessarily the two together. I don't notice any sound difference.
    Only thing I noticed is that I can not change G without D or vice versa. New G and D are bright.
    Is that OK or do I have to change the whole set each time I change strings.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

Default Re: Changing strings

I use strings with flatwound D and G which last a long time. I find that the unwound A and E often deteriorate while the D and G still have plenty of life and so replace just the E and A courses which is much cheaper than replacing a whole set. So the other way round to what you do.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

If you're happy with it, why not? If you're not happy with it, don't.

I would personally never change only one string of a course except in a short term emergency, like a broken string at a gig.

My experience is that my unwrapped strings need changing before the wrapped ones most of the time.

But I usually change them all.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

What Phil said. All or nothing at all. Unless one breaks at a gig, jam.

Another +1 to Phil. It doesn't really make sense to change only one string of a course unless it's an emergency. The two strings of a course should ideally be the same 'age' on the mandolin. For instance, as the strings start to wear in, their intonation will change. If you only change one, you'll never get them in tune with each other.

And yeah, I've started buying an extra pair of unwound (A & E) strings for every full set of strings I buy. That way, I can change out the A & E strings and let the G & D strings alone. I always end up with trashed A & E strings, but G & D strings that are fine. I hate throwing away perfectly good wound strings just because the unwound ones went bad.

Carlo, if your frets are "cutting" your strings, you have a problem!

I am amazed that you can't hear any difference between new and old strings... To me, the difference is startling. I don't change them often enough but when I do I am usually amazed. It is of course a nuissance but doing it annually or more often, depending on how much you play, is a good idea. On the other hand if you don't perform publicly it probably doesn't make much difference.

IN my case it is almost always the e strings which break.Though if I recall I had one wound string unwind due to winding wear and breakage.
    Bart McNeil

I play a couple of hours every day, sometimes more on week ends (up to 3 hours). I have 2 mandolins and a banjo-mandolin and I use the three instruments. I have read on the cafe that most players here tend to change strings every 3 months.
    For me by the fourth month and specially on the banjo mandolin and only on the D string the it starts unwinding in the middle on top of the frets. It's maybe because I pressure too much. This is how I used to play on the violin. You should normally get a sound only with your left hand hitting the strings
    The strings I find in locally are probably the cause of that. I only find Alice (Chinese strings) or Dadi a better quality of Chinese strings gauges 0.10 to 0.34.
    It is amazing that I can actually tune a new A or E string with the old one. It's true that I suffer a little the first few days as I have to tune all the time, but at the end they match. And Yes, I don't know how, but I hear that difference if I do that with a wounded string and I hear no difference with the steel ones.
    You can't do that on a violin. You have to change the whole set.
    Thank you all.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

I've found that once I can't get my A strings in tune it's time for a new set.
    Musica mulcet ad animam.
    Musica placet aurium.
    Musica aedificat corda

9. The following members say thank you to TheArimathean for this post: