Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steven's Silencers?

Hey,
    Was wondering how you get a hold of some of these? If I'm not mistaken these look a little cooler than traditional grommets? Got a new mando and can't help but get accessories. Anyone know about these things or products like them (besides the 4.95 grommets from Greg Boyd's)? Thanks,
    Paul

Registered Person

Hardware store. #Or Steve. #If you live near a hardware store, they usually have bins of these. #They're usually about .15ea. #Steve's easier, and still kind of inexpensive, and I've read some good posts by him. #And he plays the mandolin, something that your hardware store guy most likely doesn't do. #Also weber makes something that attaches to the strings by the tailpiece,it's called a wood nymph. #Oh, check this out, Mr. upgrade my new mando guy ,this is way cool. At least I think so.

Radio Shack sells a bag of assorted sizes for $2.00. There are usually 7 of the size you are looking for in there and you should only need 4. You can find another use for the larger ones or just throw them away.

got some from RS they are harder. steve's are better. they work about the best of anything I have ever tried.

Quote Originally Posted by
    steve's are better. they work about the best of anything I have ever tried
    Each to one's own, but all the thing has to is deaden two strings. It either does that job or not. How do you get a value judgement of "better" out of that? Whether you use duct tape, leather shoelaces, Steve's Silencers or Radio Shack's, the strings are just as dead, which is all you need.

Perhaps the type of rubber may make one grommet better than another. I bought some hardware store grommets and when I tried to insert one on the E course I lost a new TI string.

I think the rubber on the grommets I got was too hard and the sideways pressure on the string as I inserted the grommet broke the string loop against the edge of the tailpiece hook. It was on a Rigel, and the stamped tailpiece does have kind of sharp edge on the hooks (as opposed to a cast tailpiece, for example).

Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material? Just a thought... Perhaps I may be wrong and all grommets are made of similar material!
    Matt Mc

may not be too attractive, but I've used pencil erasers in a pinch

Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material?
    They are. I believe Steve's are actually rubber, whereas I think Radio Shack's are vinyl. However, I have never had any problem putting the RS ones in or with associated string breakage on my Rigel. I insert them where it is easiest, halfway between the bridge and the tailpiece. Then I slide them where I want. No troubles.

how many come in a pack from Steve?

one would be surprised what can be found googling...there are hundeds of places you can get grommets...

I found mine at work.. Just some small rubber gromets we use for eletronic work..
    Danny

Yeah, sure you can buy anywhere, but Steve's a mando guy.

..Yep..I know Alan...my point being is they arent as hard to find as some people think.... I get them from work also..Im a maintenance supervisor for the local school system on second shift....ugh...but its good job..anyway..periodaclly we have to repair clocks that are equipped with American Standard movements..well the movements are mounted with these precious little grommets...I can buy them for .35 a peice..maybe a little high in cost but they are handy and made of real rubber... ....on a side note...at SPBGMA Bobby Clark played #6 and he noticed the little grommets on it and said he had to get some of them...I gave him some as I did to Jeff Parker of the Lonesome River Band...

Hey Scotti, Bobby Clark, hmmm...ain't none better, imo. I picked on his fern one time, that's a killer mando.

..yea..hes always been one of my favs...One Legged Gypsy and Oklahoma Twister are great Lps....when I met him he wasnt what I expected..hes a bigger man then what I figured him to be...Taller..

While you can find electronic grommets many places, most are vinyl, which is a different material than mine, which are rubber. I tried both kinds and IMHO rubber is better - it is softer so it won't effect tuning, and it damps better.

I've just reposted my add in the classifieds for anyone who want's to try a set (which have ten grommets in a pack.)

SS

If anrone has a Hobby Shop nearby, the rubber grommets used for servo mounting in RC planes and cars are a perfect fit.

Dave
    "Wait a minute.......Do that again".....

to reply to Johnny.
    1 I'm sorry If I offended you about saying steve's were better.

2. It is true their job is to deaden the strings.

3. that's not MY only consideration. I think the rubber is eaiser to get between the strings and to remove too. These grommets (either kind) are better than anything which touches the top and may risk maring the finnish. (duct tape is gooey and leaves a mess) I've tried sponges, surgical tubing, foam under the tailpc.,leather, felt put between the strings. I'm sure there are others.
    4. better is not a "factual" term anyway it's just an OPINION.
    "new improved tide is better than cheer"
    that "ching" doesn't bother very many folks does it.

DOES ANYONE THINK THAT DEADENING THE BACK SIDE DEADEN THE WHOLE MANDOLIN SOUND??? I'VE WONDERED a little anyway

grommets..grommets..grommets..grommets..grommets.. .ARGH!!

not currently politically correct but
    smoke a cigarette down to the filter - put it out and jam the filter between the strings.....
    did this many times on my old yamaha electric grand piano
    works great, pliable, makes a mess but easily cleaned up, don't smell real good but gets the job done.....
    just another option...

Has anyone found these silencers to affect sustain?

I have heard it recommended to use cast tailpieces. I presume the purpose of the recommendation is so some of this energy makes it to the mando via the tailpiece.

Has anyone found these silencers to affect sustain?
    Grommets should slightly improve sustain, although with a mando, sustain is so limited, it's hard to tell. Sympathetic vibration is an enemy of sustain. My take on the cast tailpeice thing was that they added mass and therefore vibrated less. Also that they don't buzz or rattle like some stamped ones. Some cast tailpiece designs include muting in the design, essentially doing the same job as these silencers.

I can't see how a tailpiece could add any useful vibrations to the top. First of all, the tailpiece shouldn't actually touch the top. It attaches to the tail block, which would be pretty dead acoustically. Second, the vibrations it gets from the strings are at whatever notes that are dictated by the tail string length, not the music being played. So even if it did transfer vibrations, they would be the wrong vibrations. There is a product called a "Fat Finger" that adds mass to the headstock on electric guitars with the same idea: To increase sustain by reducing sypathetic vibration in a non-tone-producing area of the instrument. Same idea, I think.

Just MHO, I am no expert.

Radio Shack part # 64-3025...
    NFI, of course...

Quote Originally Posted by (mcmando @ Feb. 26 2004, 11:08)
    Perhaps the type of rubber may make one grommet better than another. I bought some hardware store grommets and when I tried to insert one on the E course I lost a new TI string.

I think the rubber on the grommets I got was too hard and the sideways pressure on the string as I inserted the grommet broke the string loop against the edge of the tailpiece hook. It was on a Rigel, and the stamped tailpiece does have kind of sharp edge on the hooks (as opposed to a cast tailpiece, for example).

Perhaps some grommets are made of a more pliable material? Just a thought... Perhaps I may be wrong and all grommets are made of similar material!
    I put hardware store grommets on my TI strings, and they worked great. Didn't break a thing.

-Raf