Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

Default Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

Anybody who ever played.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

No one in particular inspired me to play mandolin initially - i wanted to learn an instrument that could sound well with acoustic guitar which a lot of my friends play.

A mandolin was more affordable than a double bass.

After that most any recordings that i have listened to do encourage me to continue as do the many folks who contribute to the old MC here. Then there's the folks that i have played with, playing live is great inspiration, and i learned a lot from a local tenor banjo player, Mr. Harris.

In terms of players whose work that i constantly return to, Andy Statman whose Bluegrass book, incidentally, was all i had to go on when i first started out > i learned my first chords and scales from that book, also first learned of players such as Jesse Mc Reynolds, Sam Bush, Dave Grisman and Bill Monroe from that book... it was only years later that i found any of Mr. Statman's recordings and found out who he was - now, the playing of Mr Statman and Mr Mike Compton would be my mandolin mainstays.

Old School Bill Monroe.

It was around 1980 or 1981, Rainbow Music Hall in Denver. Just looking for something to do on a Saturday night, my wife and I went to a concert by a guy named David Grisman. There was this guy named Mike Marshall there, another guy Darol Anger, some fellow by the name of Rob Wasserman. I think it was a quartet that night. When I walked out after the concert I said to my wife, "I wanna do that!!". Haven't looked back since.

For me it was Terry Woods of the Pogues
    The Mandolin Archive
    my CDs
    "The wheel is turning, but the hamster is dead"

I've always liked the sound of mandolin, but never gave much thought to learning to play one until I saw this video of Peter Rowan and Tony Rice. Something about the mandolin parts in this made want to take it up.

Jon Paul Jones (Led Zeppelin) Peter Buck (REM), David Gristman (Gristman Quartet), and then a year ago I found Chris Thile who is my real inspiration... I loved the sound 30 years ago, didn't even listen to bluegrass until the last year or so (blasphemy?). What a GREAT sounding instrument!

Destroyer of Mandolins

I fell in love with the mandolin before I'd ever even heard one. I saw a picture of it in the Sears catalog and just had to own one!
    Dedicated Ovation player
    Avid Bose user

kind of surprised I haven't their names here - Norman and Nancy Blake

I was introduced to the music of Grisman around the same time as the Blakes - while Grisman is awesome and inspiring - his music is somewhat difficult for a beginner - Norman and Nancy had a lot of material I could sort of play along with - made a big difference for me.

Norman and Nancy introduced me to Ostroushko ( happy belated birthday Pete!) who has also been very inspiring.

Au fol la marotte
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tmsweeney View Post
    kind of surprised I haven't their names here - Norman and Nancy Blake

I was introduced to the music of Grisman around the same time as the Blakes - while Grisman is awesome and inspiring - his music is somewhat difficult for a beginner - Norman and Nancy had a lot of material I could sort of play along with - made a big difference for me.

Norman and Nancy introduced me to Ostroushko ( happy belated birthday Pete!) who has also been very inspiring.
    I have to post on this...

at one stage, i was doing a lot of travelling, and my personal music player had nothing but Mr. Blake's album's on it. A Meeting on Southern Soil, with Peter Ostroushko would be one one of my most listened to albums.

He might not be one of my biggest influences for mandolin playing, but those albums have certainly had a great influence on me musically.

I am inspired by MANY, but along these lines my love for the mandolin comes from Ricky Skaggs, Rod Stewart's "Mandolin Wind", and a 'distant' family member's (Bob Stegall, bass) local, yet nationally recognized Bluegrass band; Hickory Hill...featuring Michael Morrison on mandolin.

My first inspiration, my mentor, my friend...Charlie Derrington.

13. The following members say thank you to Boge Quinn for this post:

Tommy Shaw from Styx. I heard Boat on the River and fell in love with mandolin
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Out of the past... Peter Knight of Steeleye Span. They were the 'warm-up' band for Jethro Tull for the Aqualung tour in 1972? Saw them again in Denver at Ebbets Field, a concert lounge, as an under-aged attendee. Now this info really dates ones-self. Dan
    Play em like you know em!

16. The following members say thank you to Dan Adams for this post:

Blog Entries

John Paul Jones, Jimmy Page, Levon Helm, & Steve Earle.
    c.1965 Harmony Monterey H410 Mandolin
    "What a long, strange trip it's been..." - Robert Hunter
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
    Think Hippie Thoughts...
    Gear: The Current Cast of Characters

String-Bending Heretic mandocrucian's Avatar

Steeleye Span. They were the 'warm-up' band for Jethro Tull for the Aqualung tour in 1972?
    In Orlando, FL, Yes were Tull's opening act act

19. The following members say thank you to mandocrucian for this post:

David Grisman , Jimmy Page

The album "Old and In the Way" had a HUGE influence on me. So did Led Zep.
    CeeCee, Self-appointed Supreme Arbiter of All that is Good, Just, and True
    1 Spousal Unit, 4 cats
    1919 Gibson A1, Girouard custom F5, Collings MF, Northfield F5-S, Eastman 815, Eastman 514, Eastman 315, JBovier ELS-VC electric mando

The difference between theory and practice is smaller in theory than it is in practice. anon

21. The following members say thank you to CeeCee_C for this post:

My influence was the mandolin player for Del McCoury on his self-titled album - Rebel SLP-1542. That was issued in 1975. I still have it along with several hundred more from that era. I believe that's Bill Runkle (banjo) and Bill Poffinberger (fiddle) pictured on the cover. Unfortunately none of the band members are credited.

I don't know the name of the mandolin player but he and his instrument absolutely shine on "Andy's Honey". It's an up tempo instrumental in classic Monroe style perfectly executed, powerful, memorable, inspirational, etc. It's one way I like to hear a mandolin played.

I have re-played the breaks in my mind for three decades. I finally decided to take up the mandolin in 2006 or thirty years later and still credit my unknown artist for the inspiration. If anyone can pass along his name that will be a appreciated. I'm guessing it could be "Andy" which is part of the referenced tune.

I saw Sam Bush with New Grass Revival at Strawberry in the early '90s blew me away.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Adams View Post
    Out of the past... Peter Knight of Steeleye Span. They were the 'warm-up' band for Jethro Tull for the Aqualung tour in 1972? Saw them again in Denver at Ebbets Field, a concert lounge, as an under-aged attendee. Now this info really dates ones-self. Dan
    Every year or every couple of years Tull would tour and play L.A. in the late '60s through the '70's.. I fell in love with traditional forms of music through those shows. Fairport Convention as well as Steeleye Span were "Warm-up bands" on those tours and Tull's music has tremendous traditional, acoustic influence. Through them I found many more artists like Pentangle, Lindisfarne, Fotheringay, Sandy Denny *sigh*, Martin Carthy, Richard Thompson, etc, etc etc... Big fans to this day. Would love to go to Cropredy some day.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tim2723 View Post
    I fell in love with the mandolin before I'd ever even heard one. I saw a picture of it in the Sears catalog and just had to own one!
    Yea boy. Love it.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Still Picking and Sawing Jack Roberts's Avatar

Ralph Rinzler's break on Ramblin' Jack Elliot's "Tramp on the Street" was what possessed me to buy my first mandolin.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mastertone08 View Post
    My influence was the mandolin player for Del McCoury on his self-titled album - Rebel SLP-1542. That was issued in 1975. I still have it along with several hundred more from that era. I believe that's Bill Runkle (banjo) and Bill Poffinberger (fiddle) pictured on the cover. Unfortunately none of the band members are credited.

I don't know the name of the mandolin player but he and his instrument absolutely shine on "Andy's Honey". It's an up tempo instrumental in classic Monroe style perfectly executed, powerful, memorable, inspirational, etc. It's one way I like to hear a mandolin played.

I have re-played the breaks in my mind for three decades. I finally decided to take up the mandolin in 2006 or thirty years later and still credit my unknown artist for the inspiration. If anyone can pass along his name that will be a appreciated. I'm guessing it could be "Andy" which is part of the referenced tune.
    Was it Dick Staber?

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Blugrasser:

Here's part of a review I found from 2011: http://lonesomeroadreview.com/2011/01/

“Andy’s Honey” follows next, a quickstepping banjo tune showcasing not only Bill Runkle’s dexterity on that instrument, but Donnie Eldreth’s sprightly, clean mandolin backed up by Dewey Renfro on a thumping upright bass....."
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

29. The following members say thank you to Phil Goodson for this post:

Stop the chop!
    Blog Entries

In my case, no mandolin player, but fiddler Howdy Forrester. Almost 50 years ago I transcribed some of the tunes on his album "Fancy Fiddlin' Country Style",e.g., Rutland's Reel, High Level, and Brilliancy. I couldn't handle them on the guitar, too many awkward string crossings. So I figured at least the mandolin is tuned like a fiddle, and I already play with a pick.