Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

Default Re: Players who inspired you take up the mandolin

A lot of Irish players, but mainly Terry Woods of The Pogues, although he is more of a banjo man. I grew up with Irish folk and although it is a more contemporary introduction, I think it is a wonderful accompaniment to the bodhran and fiddle.

There are so many wonderful mandolin players, but I have to admit that my mandolin epiphany was one night listening to some music with my headphones on and suddenly You Are Everything by REM came on and that was it. Totally hooked. So I guess Peter Buck is a major influence, despite the fact that I'm not much of an REM fan.

Mike Seeger -

Mike was doing a mandolin class at Swannanoa years ago. I wandered in while he was demo'ing a tune he called "Woody's Rag" for the group. I was completely blown away by the sound he was getting out of his A style. Can't say I'm anywhere near Mike's expertise but he's a great inspiration.

Jim

'Nother Registered User Jeff Richards's Avatar

Steffey for me as well.
    "My soul seemed as foul as smoke from burning cat fur."
    Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle

"I'm a farmer with a mandolin and a high tenor voice."
    Bill Monroe

Derek Wardell, formerly of the Wolfe Tones. Derek was one of the few musicians in the '60s Ballad Group revival that played mandolin consistently.

Dan Tyminski, but once I discovered what Dawg did with Jerry Garcia, I was hooked. Funny, I don't really listen to Dawg's Bluegrass, but the Shady Grove album opened my ears. I think those collaborations are Garcia's best work also. I relish the day I find a friend to play acoustic while I pick the mandolin, or even vice versa.

In 1997, it all started with Drew Emmitt of Leftover Salmon. I saw them at the Boulder Theater, shortly after I got a mandolin and started with lessons. My instructor at the time turned me on to the Dillards and the inspiration was Dean Webb. My absolute most favorite song is, There Is A Time. Dean's mando on that is absolutely killer both in technique and sound. Most recently good ol' Sammy Bush. And of course Jim Richter, I love the rock and blues he does especially the Hendrix stuff.
    Scott

7. The following members say thank you to SWS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie S View Post
    ....Terry Woods of The Pogues.
    I thought for sure I would be the only one who said Terry Woods.

I just wish I hadn't waited 30 years to do it.

Spur of the moment trip off in the middle of the night, landed Winfield Kansas ! Mandolin blew me away no matter how it was played,had to have one. Icannot remember the year New Grass Revival played in Evansville Indiana in a little park and when Sam plugged in and they played Fly through the Country BAM it was SAM!! Mr entertainment for me ,on the other end any player from the old school that just plays simple melody and gets a lot wood outa the mandolin Ilove Monroe Wakefield Duffy Sizemore Osborne Tim Obrien is fantastic Dewey Farmer I guess Ilove it all but not really into the real slick modern sound as much

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I thought for sure I would be the only one who said Terry Woods.

I just wish I hadn't waited 30 years to do it.
    Don't get me started on The Pogues! I met my wife for the first time at a Pogues reunion show in Dublin in 2001. She moved from the States to marry me in 2006, and we had Broad Majestic Shannon playing as she came up the aisle, and then Bottle of Smoke at full volume as we left! Nice and sweary.

There was always this tension in the Pogues because Woods was such a lover of bluegrass and country in a band that were combining punk and Irish trad folk, but I think it works very well. I do prefer it when he plays the mandolin though (naturally). Woods also wrote some of the Pogues most beautiful songs - including Thousands are Sailing.

Glad to hear there is a fellow Pogues lover! I guess you've seen some of the websites dedicated to Mandolin tabs for Pogues songs? I use those a LOT.

11. The following members say thank you to Jamie S for this post:

Blog Entries

Dawg.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

No It doesn't slice onion

It looks like I did things in reverse. I wasn't inspired by anyone to start playing the mandolin-I had never seen anyone play. I was looking for an instrument to learn to play, (something I've always wanted to do since I was a kid). I wanted it to be a string instrument, and I wanted something on the small side, ( I have no room for a bass or harp), but unique. I did some research and found that the mandolin evolved from the lute in Italy, (the homeland of my mom's family), and I knew then that it was the instrument for me. Now that I'm learning and listening to so much mandolin, there are three who most inspire me:
    My mandolin teacher, Mark Levesque. I drive over an hour each way every week for my lesson, he's that inspiring to me!
    Emory Lester, ([love his "At Dusk" CD)
    David Surette, (also love his CD, "The Green Mandolin")

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie S View Post
    Glad to hear there is a fellow Pogues lover! I guess you've seen some of the websites dedicated to Mandolin tabs for Pogues songs? I use those a LOT.
    I am definitely in that category. I have been focusing most of my energy on learning tunes from the Celtic section of the mandozine tabledit files library, but I often play along with my pogues CDs. Some of my favorites to play are Turkish song of the damned, fairytale of NY and everything on Red Roses for Me.

I would love to form an Irish folk/punk/bluegrass band. What do you think my chances are in Boston Mass?

Edited to include: What actually inspired me to play was seeing terry Woods play Bouzouki/Octave Mandolin. I ordered a custom OM over a year ago and bought a mandolin to begin learning while I waited. Never realized it would become an obsession.

honestly, no one.

I got a cheapy Rogue in a package deal and took about 3 years to actually start playing it. I guess old time fiddle tunes are my influence now.
    --
    Fender FM-52E (2003)
    Rogue RM-100A (2009)
    The Loar LM-400 w/ Cumberland Acoustics Bridge (05/2010)
    unknown project fake resonator from the 30s-40s.

No one in particular, but mostly Norman Blake later on because I felt this style is better when you are alone. It sounded relaxed and melodic. It influenced my decision for an oval hole mandolin.

Steve Earle's Dixieland was the first mandolin song that really took my breath away, then Galway Girl. When I came here, I found so many players and styles I'd never been exposed to but Steve Earle was the Pied Piper who lured me in.

Duffy and Dawg early on. Duffy's energy and unpredictability, Grisman's creativity, speed and accuracy. Recently, it's Marshall and Emory Lester with their insistence on clarity and honoring the melody rather than flash.
    "A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to leave alone."

The kid from the drum department at Guitar Center. He said, "It's just the lower four strings of the guitar, only upside down." A little oversimplified, sure, but that's all I needed to hear. I walked out of the store with a cheap Fender A.

But my biggest encouragement to continue (other than I was just hooked on fifths tuning) is definitely Ted Eschliman, pointing me in all the right directions.

20. The following members say thank you to groveland for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Killian View Post
    I am definitely in that category. I have been focusing most of my energy on learning tunes from the Celtic section of the mandozine tabledit files library, but I often play along with my pogues CDs. Some of my favorites to play are Turkish song of the damned, fairytale of NY and everything on Red Roses for Me.
    Thanks - I will check out the files library. I lean towards Irish and English revival folk music, but also love noisy punk, so The Pogues are like a gift from heaven. Those are nice songs - have you tried Sickbed? I found it too hard! I really want to learn Broad Majestic Shannon, and it at least has the benefit of having a slow tempo, unlike Turkish!

I would love to form an Irish folk/punk/bluegrass band. What do you think my chances are in Boston Mass?
    Pretty good chances I would say! I want to do EXACTLY the same thing and I am persevering with the mandolin and putting in the hours specifically so I can join a rawkus folk punk band!

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    Steve Earle's Dixieland was the first mandolin song that really took my breath away, then Galway Girl. When I came here, I found so many players and styles I'd never been exposed to but Steve Earle was the Pied Piper who lured me in.
    I like this version a lot - and it just so happens that his introduction is particularly appropriate at this time!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWd-Ld9-eZw

Quote Originally Posted by vegas View Post
    I would cite this exact same thing as my second influence. I learned Dixieland on guitar before I took up mandolin, also Paddy on the beat (white people can dance to that one, don't you know?) Interestingly enough, in my journey to combine mandolin knowledge with playing feel, Paddy on the Beat is the only song I would call effortless for me to play precisely as I want to at this point.

Jamie,

I also recommend checking out BikeMutt on YouTube (Jill MacCauley from the cafe). She has posted some great vids of herself playing reels and hornpipes, etc.

I just learned her version of The Curragh Races.

24. The following members say thank you to Killian King for this post:

Great timing - I've been learning The Wind That Shakes the Barley (lovely song) and BikeMutt does a wonderful version.

Edit: Her little finger is twice the length of mine - good lord! No wonder I struggle....

Ione CA in the beautiful gold country east of Sactown

Tony Rice...

I saw a little kid named Chris Thile play mandolin years ago when I attended my first bluegrass festival. I spent 15 years without being able to get that sound out of my mind. I finally caved in and bought a mandolin. Addiction started.....

Wayne benson

Jeff Austin of Yonder Mountain String Band. He plays with so much emotion that I had to get one and try to rock like he does... several mandolins and a lot of practice later and I am still not there yet.